Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 16, 2015, 12:25:29 PM
Quote from: viper37 on June 16, 2015, 12:13:13 PM
in the books, that story is settled.

How was it settled?
I thought she requested a trial by combat with her new champion.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Habbaku

I think you were having a fan-fiction moment.

That being said, it is almost certain she is going to request a trial by combat.  Ser Clega--er, ROBERT STRONG will be her chosen champion, while the Faith will name theirs.  I have my theories as to who their champion will be, and will be rather disappointed in the narrative if I am wrong.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Larch

Quote from: Habbaku on June 16, 2015, 12:59:31 PMI have my theories as to who their champion will be, and will be rather disappointed in the narrative if I am wrong.

Do share them, the nuttier the better.  :lol:

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Habbaku on June 16, 2015, 12:59:31 PM
I think you were having a fan-fiction moment.

That being said, it is almost certain she is going to request a trial by combat.  Ser Clega--er, ROBERT STRONG will be her chosen champion, while the Faith will name theirs.  I have my theories as to who their champion will be, and will be rather disappointed in the narrative if I am wrong.

My take on it is that while FrankenClegan will be selected by Cercei the Septon is going to be more crafty than that.  There is going to be some ancient rite of the Church that he will draw upon so that Cersei will not escape judgment so easily.  I think the Septon's plan is to demonstrate the Gods' judgment that the King is born of incest in as public a manner as possible to bring down the Royal House.  He didn't go to all that trouble just to have the matter decided in a one on one fight Cercei's champion would likely win.

If I am wrong about that and it turns out to be a one on one fight, who do you think it will be.  My guess is that [spoiler]we will see the Hound reappear[/spoiler]

Solmyr

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 16, 2015, 01:10:57 PM
If I am wrong about that and it turns out to be a one on one fight, who do you think it will be.  My guess is that [spoiler]we will see the Hound reappear[/spoiler]

:yes:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on June 16, 2015, 12:55:36 PM
I have to admit I'm enjoying this banter more than I did the books. :D

Yeah, this thread has been one Languish's better moments. :)

Habbaku

My guess as to the champion of the Faith is the same as yours, CC, because [spoiler]I think that the Hound will have been using the time since his 'death' to atone for his crimes.  Eventually, though, he will return to violence, but this time for a good end--fighting to see his old employers get what they have coming to them.  Sandor has every reason to want to see them defeated, is an exceptional warrior (good enough to go toe-to-toe with The Mountain, and, of course, there's the added bonus of finally getting to defeat his brother.[/spoiler]

I don't really see how anyone else could be named, given the details available.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

crazy canuck

[spoiler]It will be interesting to see what his backstory is.  Whether he becomes a religious zealot in the service of the Septon to atone for his past sins or whether the arc you laid out is accurate.  I can see it going both ways but on reflection your version seems more plausible.  The thing that sticks in my mind is when we were first introduced to these characters.  The Hound saved the person who was supposed to be the best knight in the land from the wrath of his brother.  That was I think the foreshadowing for the battle to come.[/spoiler]

Martinus

[spoiler]Can you stop with these spoilers, you assholes? Speculations are not spoilers.[/spoiler]

Habbaku

Can you stop trying to make this thread about your personal preferences again?  No one wants to read your blog.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Martinus

What are you talking about? We are out of the books territory so there are no more spoilers - a spoiler is when you know something about the future from a book or a show you watched and tell this to people who do not know it.

Speculating that the Hound will be the champion chosen by the Faith Militant to fight Frankenmountain is not a spoiler and does not deserve a spoiler tag.

Habbaku

I am sure that that is what you see as the function of spoiler tags, and you are at least partially right.  But others (you know, those people you never consider when you post?) may not wish to read about speculation on plot points in the future. I am being courteous. You should try it.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

crazy canuck

Quote from: Martinus on June 16, 2015, 01:31:38 PM
[spoiler]Can you stop with these spoilers, you assholes? Speculations are not spoilers.[/spoiler]

Try thinking about more than yourself.  You are the Cercei of Languish.

Norgy

Quote from: Habbaku on June 16, 2015, 12:20:19 PM
He wants to look like a shaky, old buffoon so that people underestimate what he's up to.  Presumably, it's to appear weak and foolish when, in fact, he's rather crafty.  By appearing harmless, he keeps his seat of influence without anyone suspecting him of anything.

I was thinking he may had some part in the Huge, Grand Excellent Scheme of Littlefinger's.
Then I remembered the two didn't seem to like each other much.

Why I'm asking is because it was shown us that he was in fact quite fit for his age, but it hasn't really been followed up.