News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fate

Quote from: Berkut on June 08, 2015, 04:39:03 PM
The transformation of Jaime was so well done in the books and the show.

Starts off as the first of the clear bad guys and turns into someone you are actually rooting for...

I still can't root for Jamie in season 5. Although maybe it's because I just rewatched season 1. What has he done to redeem himself? He's still an attempted child murderer.

Lettow77

Being in allegiance with Fantasy Venice to pay dents while assembling a coterie of fantasy-scots is exactly the sort of thing that makes Stannis such a noble leader.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Habbaku

Quote from: Fate on June 08, 2015, 10:02:03 PM

Starts off as the first of the clear bad guys and turns into someone you are actually rooting for...

I still can't root for Jamie in season 5. Although maybe it's because I just rewatched season 1. What has he done to redeem himself? He's still an attempted child murderer.

He hasn't done it again!

But, seriously, this is where the show seems to be falling down in comparison.  In the books, at least, Jaime has begun to rehabilitate himself because he is nowhere near as bloodthirsty.  He is actively trying to foster peace and an end to the bloodshed in the Riverlands, for example.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Martinus

Quote from: Habbaku on June 08, 2015, 10:23:38 PM

He hasn't done it again!

But, seriously, this is where the show seems to be falling down in comparison.  In the books, at least, Jaime has begun to rehabilitate himself because he is nowhere near as bloodthirsty.  He is actively trying to foster peace and an end to the bloodshed in the Riverlands, for example.

Again, when I read stuff like this, I think like I am watching a different show than you. Are you saying that the show Jaimie has not changed? The fact that the change is noticeable to most reviewers who have never read the books shows that obsessive, fanatical book readers like you are in the wrong.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: LaCroix on June 08, 2015, 06:52:13 PM
dani's who you're meant to root for in the books, too. book stannis was always going to die to someone, and there's been clear indicators throughout the story that he's not exactly a good guy. he's a sympathetic and fun character, but i bet you the books will start showing his descent into awfulness. grrm likes playing with the audience. take a bad character, make him good. take a neutral character, make him bad, then good. i'm sure stannis has purposely been written in a way to make him appear good but littered with enough character issues that it's only natural when he's made bad.

The show portrayed Stannis more sympathetically than the books up until last episode
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Josquius

QuoteDani is clearly the option you're supposed to be rooting for; this is made much simpler in the show by blackening Stannis and removing her nephew
Yes. Dani is the Mary Sue.... But we see how well this works out with et with the practicalities of actually ruling.
In the grand story, the one that actually matters above the squabbles of men, stannis and Dani are on the same side. The side of fire.
Dani.... It seems likely she is going to darken quite considerably. Fire and blood it will be.

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 08, 2015, 05:35:21 PM
Quote from: Tyr on June 08, 2015, 05:11:23 PM
Why did Jon walk the wildings through the gate?

His strategy is to increase his manpower to defend the Wall when the White Walkers attack and to reduce their numbers by removing everyone alive from North of the Wall before the attack.

You miss my meaning.
Why stop the ships north of the wall then march inland to castle blacks gate?
Why not sail to the shadow tower.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Because the giant couldn't wade that far.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tyr on June 09, 2015, 09:21:36 AM

Because the show doesn't have the budget to tell the story properly.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Martinus on June 09, 2015, 12:53:17 AM
Quote from: Habbaku on June 08, 2015, 10:23:38 PM

He hasn't done it again!

Again, when I read stuff like this, I think like I am watching a different show than you. Are you saying that the show Jaimie has not changed? The fact that the change is noticeable to most reviewers who have never read the books shows that obsessive, fanatical book readers like you are in the wrong.

You need to read and understand the words "in comparison".  It serves no purpose to tell us what people who have never read the books think when we are discussing a comparison between the books and the show. 

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Martinus on June 09, 2015, 12:53:17 AM
He was doing a good job till the whole "rape my sister next to our son's dead body in a church" scene.  That decision making process to invent and show that scene still baffles me.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Jaron

I could not believe they did that. That poor poor little thing. :cry:
Winner of THE grumbler point.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Habbaku on June 08, 2015, 07:38:53 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 08, 2015, 06:47:06 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on June 08, 2015, 01:42:42 PM
I don't think there ever was an explanation, or at least I don't recall it.  It almost certainly has to do with the cyclical seasons(/climate change) and the waning/waxing of magic power.  The dragons appeared in tune with the Red Comet, so it seems to me that they grow in line with the increase in magic in the world.  Since magic is currently increasing (in Westeros, at least), I think it reasonable to conclude that the dragons will keep growing, potentially to an immense size depending on just how much magic comes about.
[spoiler]I thought the Maesters secretely poisoned them to get rid of magic.?[/spoiler]

If you buy that story, I have a bridge to sell you.
Why? :unsure:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

Maybe that exact story is not true (I believe it) but the maesters certainly have it in for magic and dragons. I've read the maesters really spurred on the dance of dragons that killed most of them.

Has anyone else got world of ice and fire btw?
I expected more maps and much of it is repeated online but it is still a cool book.
██████
██████
██████

Josquius

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 09, 2015, 10:34:23 AM
Quote from: Tyr on June 09, 2015, 09:21:36 AM

Because the show doesn't have the budget to tell the story properly.

Could be....
But they could just show everyone walking into castle black over land.
It seems to me they went for rule of cool over sensibleness.
Unless Jon decided it was worth risking everyone north of the wall for a few days hike in order to awe the wildings/assure them they would be safe in the south.
██████
██████
██████

Martinus

I just realised Stannis is John McCain of Westeros. He is not the most charismatic nor likeable, but everybody has a sort of this grudging respect for him, both because of his integrity and his experience. But then he chooses a crazy religious redhead as his running mate and it all jumps the shark.