News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 02, 2015, 01:44:52 PM
Nothing wrong with having a broad scope.  Your complaint seems to be that he left too many loose ends. 

No I am saying there is something wrong with having a broad scope.  There is a loss of focus.  Every time there is a new setting and a new slew of characters to keep track of I find myself incrementally losing interest.  Granted the show is less prone to this as it excises a lot of this.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 02, 2015, 01:49:18 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 02, 2015, 01:44:52 PM
Nothing wrong with having a broad scope.  Your complaint seems to be that he left too many loose ends. 

No I am saying there is something wrong with having a broad scope.  There is a loss of focus.  Every time there is a new setting and a new slew of characters to keep track of I find myself incrementally losing interest.  Granted the show is less prone to this as it excises a lot of this.

That may be up to individual taste.  I enjoy a grand scope and I find the Arya storyline particularly compelling and well written.   Martin got lost in a lot of other subplots but not this one.

The main problem I have with the show is that is simplified everything too much.  So again, personal taste.

Habbaku

Quote from: Norgy on June 02, 2015, 01:38:43 PM
I, for one, would like to hear those theories to sate my apetite for GoT-related stuff between episodes.

[spoiler]Harys Swyft (Master of Coin, and father-in-law of Kevan Lannister) is in Braavos attempting to treat with the Iron Bank to renegotiate for the Lannisters.  Unfortunately for him, Arya happens to be skulking about and the Iron Bank isn't exactly predisposed to liking the Lannisters at the moment.  I think it almost certain that Swyft is going to get the chop as well, leaving even more of the Lannister elite dead.  Combined with the death of Kevan, and with what I expect to be either the death or irrelevancy of Paxter Redwyne (Master of Ships) to the Ironborn out west, the Small Council, the death of Swyft is going to leave a huge power vacuum in King's Landing.  Mace Tyrell is going to have his hands full, and we all know how incompetent he is.

King's Landing is ripe for the plucking the moment Randyll Tarly's army goes elsewhere--or maybe even if he stays put.[/spoiler]
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 02, 2015, 02:04:25 PM
That may be up to individual taste.  I enjoy a grand scope and I find the Arya storyline particularly compelling and well written.   Martin got lost in a lot of other subplots but not this one.

:yes:  I think it is up to taste.  I hear a lot of people complaining about the extravagance and bloat of the series, and understand that complaint, but...it is not something I agree with.  Part of the fun of ASoIaF is the epic scale of it, the world-building, etc.  I am not going to complain if the author wants to invite me to read another 200 pages of his world.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

I'm with Joan.  All the Iron Islands succession crap was unnecessary padding.  The chapter on Fat Boy's super excellent adventures at Magister State University made me cry.

Habbaku

If you didn't like the Iron Islands stuff, you're going to have some rough moments in the next season...

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Larch

For the record, I'd tolerate much more easily a waterdancer Arya than a faceless girl Arya.

Norgy

Quote from: Habbaku on June 02, 2015, 03:50:04 PM
I, for one, would like to hear those theories to sate my apetite for GoT-related stuff between episodes.

[spoiler]Harys Swyft (Master of Coin, and father-in-law of Kevan Lannister) is in Braavos attempting to treat with the Iron Bank to renegotiate for the Lannisters.  Unfortunately for him, Arya happens to be skulking about and the Iron Bank isn't exactly predisposed to liking the Lannisters at the moment.  I think it almost certain that Swyft is going to get the chop as well, leaving even more of the Lannister elite dead.  Combined with the death of Kevan, and with what I expect to be either the death or irrelevancy of Paxter Redwyne (Master of Ships) to the Ironborn out west, the Small Council, the death of Swyft is going to leave a huge power vacuum in King's Landing.  Mace Tyrell is going to have his hands full, and we all know how incompetent he is.

King's Landing is ripe for the plucking the moment Randyll Tarly's army goes elsewhere--or maybe even if he stays put.[/spoiler]

That's a good theory. And a good story too. :)

I am knee deep in the Telltales Games version of GoT. House Ironrath does not fare well with Norgy at the helm.  :(

crazy canuck

Quote from: Habbaku on June 02, 2015, 03:50:04 PM

I like your theory. 

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 02, 2015, 04:00:42 PM
The chapter on Fat Boy's super excellent adventures at Magister State University made me cry.

:yes: :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

-J. R. R. Tolkien

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Maximus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 04, 2015, 01:09:36 AM
Quote from: Norgy on June 01, 2015, 06:39:29 PM
I'd like her to write angry letters to the editor.

Mauled to death by a lion! :weep:

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/2015/06/03/vancouver-based-game-of-thrones-editor-killed-by-lion-in-south-africa.html

QuoteThe lion attacked Chappell through an open car window, which a park spokesman insisted was "strictly against policy".
:huh:

Valmy

I think having your window open was the against policy part unless the other Lions are normally respectful of laws and regulations  :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Norgy