News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norgy

Going to Bravoos probably wasn't her number one choice. She had that coin. And she got her ride.

When there, she only has one choice. To try and find the Faceless Man. Arya's storyline isn't ridiculous. She tried her best in Westeroos.
Coming back stronger to fight another say seems like a reasonable choice to me.
As we have seen, she struggles to let go of her identity as Arya Stark.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Larch on June 01, 2015, 06:57:46 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 01, 2015, 06:51:19 PM
Quote from: The Larch on June 01, 2015, 06:34:38 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 01, 2015, 06:23:04 PM
How is it ridiculous?  She's learning Many Faces field craft.

It's ridiculous because while she goes after shady insurance dealers with no relation to her whatsoever her brothers and sisters are battling for the fate of their homeland.

As far as she knows, she has no brothers or sisters.

Even if she knows that at least Jon and Sansa are still around, I mean it as a comparison of her character and the others, not about what she might know or not. Arya the ninja assassin just seems way too ridiculous for me.

I think you have missed the point of her plot line. Every day since her father was killed she has been vowing to kill those who have wronged her.  She originally attempted to travel north but could not arrange passage.  So she did the next best thing and took up the offer to be trained as a faceless man so that she could carry out the assassinations she has promised to herself.

The struggle in her story line is that she has to abandon those vows and her own self interest to become a faceless man.  That is the interesting internal conflict of her story.

The Larch

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 02, 2015, 10:21:19 AM
Quote from: The Larch on June 01, 2015, 06:57:46 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 01, 2015, 06:51:19 PM
Quote from: The Larch on June 01, 2015, 06:34:38 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 01, 2015, 06:23:04 PM
How is it ridiculous?  She's learning Many Faces field craft.

It's ridiculous because while she goes after shady insurance dealers with no relation to her whatsoever her brothers and sisters are battling for the fate of their homeland.

As far as she knows, she has no brothers or sisters.

Even if she knows that at least Jon and Sansa are still around, I mean it as a comparison of her character and the others, not about what she might know or not. Arya the ninja assassin just seems way too ridiculous for me.

I think you have missed the point of her plot line. Every day since her father was killed she has been vowing to kill those who have wronged her.  She originally attempted to travel north but could not arrange passage.  So she did the next best thing and took up the offer to be trained as a faceless man so that she could carry out the assassinations she has promised to herself.

The struggle in her story line is that she has to abandon those vows and her own self interest to become a faceless man.  That is the interesting internal conflict of her story.

Still stupid. I can see Arya the wronged tomboy, I can't see Arya the teenage ninja hell bent on revenge. It's so ridiculous.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Larch on June 02, 2015, 10:24:14 AM
Still stupid. I can see Arya the wronged tomboy, I can't see Arya the teenage ninja hell bent on revenge. It's so ridiculous.

Then you haven't been paying attention since book 1/season 1. :P

The Larch

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 02, 2015, 10:29:21 AM

Then you haven't been paying attention since book 1/season 1. :P

Or I have and still don't like it.  :P

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Minsky Moment

I agree.  She should never have been taken out of Westeros.
It's another instance of Martin privileging his world building over sensible plot building.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Solmyr

I think you have missed the point of her plot line. Every day since her father was killed she has been vowing to kill those who have wronged her.

In fact, if you've been paying attention, she will almost certainly kill one of those people next episode.

Habbaku

Quote from: Solmyr on June 02, 2015, 11:29:36 AM
I think you have missed the point of her plot line. Every day since her father was killed she has been vowing to kill those who have wronged her.

In fact, if you've been paying attention, she will almost certainly kill one of those people next episode.

Yep.  Which mirrors a high-profile kill that she's likely to make in the next book. I have my theories as to who, but there are only a few important people over there, so...
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

crazy canuck

:yes:

Josquius

On Arya- After her encounters with Syrio and Jaqen she is a Braavos fangirl. It totally makes sense she would run off down that rabbit hole. Add in the lust for vengeance and that Braavos seems to offer that and....makes sense.
The only somewhat unrealistic part about it is how everything falls so brilliantly into place for her.

Quote from: Habbaku on June 01, 2015, 05:41:36 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 01, 2015, 05:38:14 PM
[spoiler]There's also a chance he doesn't get offed.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I think it's almost certain that the last scene is his stabbing and a fade-to-black to keep it uncertain as to whether he's dead or not.[/spoiler]
:yes:
It hasn't happened in the books yet but it seems certain a central plotline is to be with technicalities of the Watch's oath and the big bloodline reveal that is suspected to such an extent it would be a surprise if not true.
██████
██████
██████

Norgy

Quote from: Habbaku on June 02, 2015, 11:34:08 AM

Yep.  Which mirrors a high-profile kill that she's likely to make in the next book. I have my theories as to who, but there are only a few important people over there, so...

I, for one, would like to hear those theories to sate my apetite for GoT-related stuff between episodes.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Tyr on June 02, 2015, 01:26:38 PM
On Arya- After her encounters with Syrio and Jaqen she is a Braavos fangirl.

Yes because it was written that way.  So that the author could have an excuse to introduce yet another setting and groups of additional characters in a narrative already laden with too many of both.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 02, 2015, 01:41:38 PM
Quote from: Tyr on June 02, 2015, 01:26:38 PM
On Arya- After her encounters with Syrio and Jaqen she is a Braavos fangirl.

Yes because it was written that way.  So that the author could have an excuse to introduce yet another setting and groups of additional characters in a narrative already laden with too many of both.

Nothing wrong with having a broad scope.  Your complaint seems to be that he left too many loose ends.  That is of course a valid criticism but not one that can be made about the Arya storyline.