Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Martinus on May 19, 2015, 02:48:35 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 19, 2015, 02:45:18 PM
Quote from: frunk on May 19, 2015, 02:20:41 PM
How is it better (presuming it is the worst possible crime ever) if it happens to someone else?

If that was directed at me, it isn't better.  Lots of terrible things happen.  But it is jarring when the show is in conflict with what happens in the books.

That doesn't compute as a lot of backlash is from people who did not read the books.

I was talking about what I found problematic about the scene. 

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on May 19, 2015, 02:48:35 PM
That doesn't compute as a lot of backlash is from people who did not read the books.

there are still a lot of people, though, who don't grasp the difference between TV and books.  Personally, I thought the whole Jeyne Poole thing in the books silly and contrived.  Far too many people knew she was a fake for the Boltons to have any hope of using her to gain loyalty in the North, and torturing the woman they claimed was Arya Stark (but who was three years older than Arya) wasn't going to gain them anything, anyway.

I guess that whole subplot would make sense if Martin was getting paid by the word, but he wasn't, so it doesn't make sense.  It wasn't "jarring" but it doesn't make sense.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

LaCroix

i bet there's a writer that's glad they cut out the dog rape

Eddie Teach

Quite a few viewers as well.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Martinus on May 19, 2015, 02:59:22 AM
Another favourite: apparently, "the worst thing imaginable happened to Sansa" in that scene. No it didn't. In fact, much worse things imaginable could happen to her from the same guy in the room.

The Victorians would have called it "a fate worse than death" and that view was rightly ridiculed in my youth, now it seems to have returned as a concept in certain "progressive" groups  :hmm:

frunk

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 23, 2015, 12:52:14 AM
Another favourite: apparently, "the worst thing imaginable happened to Sansa" in that scene. No it didn't. In fact, much worse things imaginable could happen to her from the same guy in the room.

The Victorians would have called it "a fate worse than death" and that view was rightly ridiculed in my youth, now it seems to have returned as a concept in certain "progressive" groups  :hmm:

It also doesn't seem that far from honor killings or ostracism.  "If it's the worst thing that can happen, better to remove you from society than to let you return to normal."

garbon

Quote from: frunk on May 23, 2015, 07:56:24 AM

It also doesn't seem that far from honor killings or ostracism.  "If it's the worst thing that can happen, better to remove you from society than to let you return to normal."

Apart from the whole fact that no one is advocating killing rape victims. :wacko:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on May 23, 2015, 11:07:37 AM
Quote from: frunk on May 23, 2015, 07:56:24 AM

Apart from the whole fact that no one is advocating killing rape victims. :wacko:

No one? Not quite. One plucky village in Iran refuses to surrender to common sense.

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

I'm not sure what the joke is, here.  There are wackos who not only advocate killing rape victims, but do in fact murder them.  It is unclear to me whether you are unaware of this rather well-publicized fact, or are aware of it but pretending not to be for some humorous effect.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Norgy

I've been no fan of the books, and accept the TV series as an independent work of art.

If you marry Ramsay Bolton, you're in for a rough time, and what better way to show it than the wedding night scene.

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on May 23, 2015, 11:50:45 AM

I'm not sure what the joke is, here.  There are wackos who not only advocate killing rape victims, but do in fact murder them.  It is unclear to me whether you are unaware of this rather well-publicized fact, or are aware of it but pretending not to be for some humorous effect.

There is no joke. Said progressives were compared to those committing honour killings. Said progressives do not advocate death even though they do champion permanent/semi-permanent victimhood.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on May 23, 2015, 05:51:11 PM
There is no joke. Said progressives were compared to those committing honour killings. Said progressives do not advocate death even though they do champion permanent/semi-permanent victimhood.

Ah.  You were using "no one" in a more specialized way than I read.  nvm then.

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

I finally watched the rape scene. I did not get an erection. F
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Well, I sure didn't expect the itty bitty sand snake to give up the goods like that.

Berkut

She might have had the most perfect set of boobs ever.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned