News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Norgy on April 28, 2015, 08:33:29 AM
It's the best TV made in the history of mankind. Just relax and enjoy it.

:hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Why can't you just bloody enjoy a beautiful, fantastic drama?

I don't see why those who just want to enjoy the show insist that others not talk about it or debate what the different events mean.  It isn't like you have to read the debates, or that I don't get to watch the show, enjoy it, and also debate and enjoy that.  Take your own advice:  just relax, enjoy the show, and so avoid threads titled anything like "Game of Thrones begins..."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 28, 2015, 08:34:27 AM
Yes.

This thread is 90% assumptions built upon assumptions, can we not use that word again?

Glad those third-grade tactics work up there in the frozen north.  I'll remember that if I need some third-grade-level debate.

In the meantime, you certainly can avoid using the word "assumption."  No one here is forcing you to use it.  If by 'we' you mean the rest of us, how about you let others use words as they are appropriate, and not try to dictate which ones people can and can't use, m'kay?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Congrats on graduating from the second to the third grade GF.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: Jaron on April 28, 2015, 08:35:42 AM
Yeah, I don't analyze the show nearly as much as some people here. Not to say that it's bad to do so, just that I enjoy it for what it is.

Exactly.  You can choose to join the discussion when it interests you, and avoid it when it doesn't.  Mostly, it doesn't, it would seem.  JR clearly seems to feel that way as well.  Neither of you tries to dictate what others do or which words they use.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on April 28, 2015, 08:46:30 AM
Congrats on graduating from the second to the third grade GF.
:lol:  :Embarrass:

Bayraktar!

Grey Fox

:yeah:

It's weird to alternate between agreeing and disagreeing with Grumbler on a post by post basis.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Siege

No its not.
Italian TV show, Sandokan, with Kabir Bedi.
Best TV show EVER!!11

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 27, 2015, 03:51:52 PM
Stannis has the largest army.

Didn't work so well for Renly. 

Actually my vague recollection from the books was that his army wasn't that big which is why he went for the northern gambit rather than confront the Lannisters directly.
'
QuoteIf Stannis doesn't win and Bolton keeps Winterfell there is no hope for house Stark.

Maybe or maybe not - clearly the north is going to be in flux for some time with winter and such coming.  And if the Lannisters lose their grip in the capital or decide the Boltons aren't such useful allies. . . . put it this way - with Martin's hyper-War of the Roses narrative, no one's position is ever secure.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

IIRC Stannis is left with about 3,000 men when he ships north.

Habbaku

Indeed, though [spoiler]he has since received reinforcements of a sort from among the Wildlings and the Hill Clans[/spoiler].  His army is one of the smallest in the field, but it is also one of the best-motivated, I suspect.  Helps that his enemies aren't exactly unified.

Stannis already tried directly opposing the Lannisters--Tyrion did him in in that regard.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

11B4V

Hardly
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Norgy

All right, I guess I would rate the French series "Spiral" ahead of it. And "Gomorrah" from Italy too.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 28, 2015, 07:18:26 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 27, 2015, 03:51:52 PM
Stannis has the largest army.

Didn't work so well for Renly. 

Actually my vague recollection from the books was that his army wasn't that big which is why he went for the northern gambit rather than confront the Lannisters directly.
'
QuoteIf Stannis doesn't win and Bolton keeps Winterfell there is no hope for house Stark.

Maybe or maybe not - clearly the north is going to be in flux for some time with winter and such coming.  And if the Lannisters lose their grip in the capital or decide the Boltons aren't such useful allies. . . . put it this way - with Martin's hyper-War of the Roses narrative, no one's position is ever secure.

He has the largest army in the North and no Lannister army is going to move away from the south.

Regarding your second point, if a Stark heir is put back into Winterfell the amount of uncertainty in the North would reduce dramatically with or without Stannis succeeding.

Martinus

Yup. Ned Stark was brought down because he went South and got isolated and killed. I don't suppose any Southern army (sans dragons) could take out a Stark in Winterfell.