News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

You are right, but we don't know if that part will happen in the TV series as well. It's possible. I guess we can assume that Reek will play a substantial role in the Sansa storyline.

The Larch

Quote from: Martinus on April 27, 2015, 12:18:32 AM
By the way, I just love Margery dissing Cersei. "Sorry, we would give you wine but it is a bit too early for us."  :lol:

Between that, the "How should we adress you?" and the "Soon you might be Queen Grandmother!", it could be dialogue lifted from "Real Housewives of King's Landing", and add some sassy snaps and head movements.

Martinus

Quote from: The Larch on April 27, 2015, 12:37:40 PM
Quote from: Martinus on April 27, 2015, 12:18:32 AM
By the way, I just love Margery dissing Cersei. "Sorry, we would give you wine but it is a bit too early for us."  :lol:

Between that, the "How should we adress you?" and the "Soon you might be Queen Grandmother!", it could be dialogue lifted from "Real Housewives of King's Landing", and add some sassy snaps and head movements.

I was hoping for an Alexis and Crystal battle royale to ensue. :P

I feel sorry for Tommen though.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Larch

He's a teenager who gets to nail Natalie Dormer. I'm sure the actor's arm is aching from all the high fives he must be receiving.

Martinus

Anyways, my favourite part of the episode: Brienne is out to get Stannis for murdering Renly. I'm looking forward to the Otter King being avenged.

KRonn

Sansa in the show and in the books began to toughen up her attitude by around the time she was at the Erie and maybe sooner given how her father was killed and how roughly she was treated at King's Landing. She got some real doses of reality, very different from her childish dreams of becoming the bride of a prince. I don't expect she'll become some kind of warrior but I'm beginning to suspect that she may be ready to start some behind the scenes wheeling and dealing, especially once she gets more space from Littlefinger and comes into contact with some of her father's former banner men or their contacts. We did see one woman in the castle greet her kindly, welcoming her back as a Stark to her rightful place. There will be others and Sansa may be able to work that angle to contact the northern leaders, her father's and brother's former banner men.

crazy canuck

The writers of the show attempting to stay true to some of the content of the books while fundamentally changing some of the story lines is beginning to show some significant inconsistencies within the story the TV writers are attempting to tell.  This is based on watching up to and including the third episode this season.

1) As previously discussed in the TV show Snow knows that Bran and Rickon are alive.  In fact the main reason he went back to Craster's keep was to find them (bringing the mutineers to justice was the cover story he used to obtain permission to go).  When Stannis offers him the title of Lord of Winterfell (which happened again in espisode 3) Jon turns him down saying that he is the  Commander now - which is true and consistent with what happened in the book.  But the inconsistency with the new story line created by the show is that Jon does not go on to tell Stannis about Bran and Rickon.  Stannis wants a legitimate figurehead associated with the Starks to bring the North to his side.  Jon wants to find Bran and Rickon and provide for their safety.  Why wouldn't Jon tell Stannis about the heirs of the house Stark to enlist Stannis' aid to help protect them.  The answer sloppy writing.  The TV writers were keeping close to the plot in the book but didn't take into consideration that they had already significantly altered the story in a way that made the actions of Jon in the books no longer make sense.

2) How did the Vale know to where to find Little Finger in order to pass on the message.  That was sloppy writing.  It was in this season that Little Finger had made sure the Vale did not know where he was going.

3) When did the Imp become so stupid?  The scene in the brothel is completely inconsistent with his character in both the books and the show.  He has already been told that he might be recognized and so must take great care and then he goes to a brothel and all but announces he is a Lannister (ie the Lannister everyone is looking for).  I understand the desire of the writers to cut out a lot of the Imp's story about his travels and efforts to conceal his identity.  I enjoyed that part of the books but I understand why it would add a lot of screen time.  However they could have been more intelligent about it.

I am coming to the conclusion that the TV writers, left to their own devices, are not going to turn out the kind of story I was hoping for.

Berkut

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 27, 2015, 01:13:21 PM
The writers of the show attempting to stay true to some of the content of the books while fundamentally changing some of the story lines is beginning to show some significant inconsistencies within the story the TV writers are attempting to tell.  This is based on watching up to and including the third episode this season.

1) As previously discussed in the TV show Snow knows that Bran and Rickon are alive.  In fact the main reason he went back to Craster's keep was to find them (bringing the mutineers to justice was the cover story he used to obtain permission to go).  When Stannis offers him the title of Lord of Winterfell (which happened again in espisode 3) Jon turns him down saying that he is the  Commander now - which is true and consistent with what happened in the book.  But the inconsistency with the new story line created by the show is that Jon does not go on to tell Stannis about Bran and Rickon.  Stannis wants a legitimate figurehead associated with the Starks to bring the North to his side.  Jon wants to find Bran and Rickon and provide for their safety.  Why wouldn't Jon tell Stannis about the heirs of the house Stark to enlist Stannis' aid to help protect them.  The answer sloppy writing.  The TV writers were keeping close to the plot in the book but didn't take into consideration that they had already significantly altered the story in a way that made the actions of Jon in the books no longer make sense.

Agree that this is kind of turning into a mess. I don't know if Jon would certainly tell Stannis about Bran (did Sam tell him Rickon was alive as well?), but he would react in SOME manner, anyway. And certainly trying to find Rickon at least would be a reasonable thing to do..

2) How did the Vale know to where to find Little Finger in order to pass on the message.  That was sloppy writing.  It was in this season that Little Finger had made sure the Vale did not know where he was going.

Minor nit. In fact, you could argue that is isn't necessarily a error at all. The only reason we have to think the Vale doesn't know where LF is is LF telling Sansa that - he might have been lying. Or perhaps the Vale in general doesn't know, but some select people DO know (which would make sense given the nature of his mission) and those people were able to get him the message. In fact, for someone like LF, that would make a lot of sense - he still has to somehow keep in touch with what is going on, right? So someone has to know how to get a hold of him if necessary.

3) When did the Imp become so stupid?  The scene in the brothel is completely inconsistent with his character in both the books and the show.  He has already been told that he might be recognized and so must take great care and then he goes to a brothel and all but announces he is a Lannister (ie the Lannister everyone is looking for).  I understand the desire of the writers to cut out a lot of the Imp's story about his travels and efforts to conceal his identity.  I enjoyed that part of the books but I understand why it would add a lot of screen time.  However they could have been more intelligent about it.

Doesn't bother me - characters like Tyrion are always just as smart or dumb as the writers need them to be, and never consistently so...Tyrion is basically drunk all the time, a little self destructive, and basically not thinking much in any case. I can buy it, or at least pretend to buy it enough to not let it bother me...

I am coming to the conclusion that the TV writers, left to their own devices, are not going to turn out the kind of story I was hoping for.

I think that is a little pre-mature. But that might be my optimism talking...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

grumbler

Lack of evidence isn't evidence of lack.  You are drawing conclusions based on what you don't see, and that is always dangerous.  If they never explain why Jon doesn't call upon Stannis to aid his brothers, you will be correct.  That he hasn't so far just tells us that he hasn't. there may, indeed, be reasons.

Quote2) How did the Vale know to where to find Little Finger in order to pass on the message.  That was sloppy writing.  It was in this season that Little Finger had made sure the Vale did not know where he was going.

That's not sloppy writing at all.  That's quite deliberate.  Littlefinger even comments on it.  Presumably, we (and he) have been tipped that he has a balrog in his woodpile.   Your impatience doesn't make the writers sloppy.

Quote3) When did the Imp become so stupid?  The scene in the brothel is completely inconsistent with his character in both the books and the show.  He has already been told that he might be recognized and so must take great care and then he goes to a brothel and all but announces he is a Lannister (ie the Lannister everyone is looking for).  I understand the desire of the writers to cut out a lot of the Imp's story about his travels and efforts to conceal his identity.  I enjoyed that part of the books but I understand why it would add a lot of screen time.  However they could have been more intelligent about it.

Can't disagree with this.  They needed Tyrion to give himself away, but were completely artless in how they went about it.

QuoteI am coming to the conclusion that the TV writers, left to their own devices, are not going to turn out the kind of story I was hoping for.

Well, that certainly gives me hope.  :lol:   I wouldn't be much interested in the story you hope for. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

What's up with the latest grumbler-CC-Berkut three-way love fest? It seems to be dominating every single thread of late.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on April 21, 2015, 11:12:31 AM
Varys:  what's his game?  He has told Tyrion that he wants an honorable leader on the throne of "our kingdom" of Westeros, but his original plan was to bring Viseys to the throne.  Viserys was everything Varys later tells Tyrion he wants to avoid.  Clearly, he is lying to Tyrion.

Well the original plan was to bring Viserys to the throne by getting an army that would be answerable to his sister's husband (and hence potentially his sister).  So perhaps that outcome was not entirely unforeseen or unwelcome, although it is a very dangerous game to play with so few (?) legit heirs left, given prevailing life expectancies of the nobility in these stories.

That said, there is something dubious about the master plan of bringing an end to chaos and poor rule by systematically fomenting more chaos and worse rule.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Berkut

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 27, 2015, 03:08:15 PM
Quote from: grumbler on April 21, 2015, 11:12:31 AM
Varys:  what's his game?  He has told Tyrion that he wants an honorable leader on the throne of "our kingdom" of Westeros, but his original plan was to bring Viseys to the throne.  Viserys was everything Varys later tells Tyrion he wants to avoid.  Clearly, he is lying to Tyrion.

Well the original plan was to bring Viserys to the throne by getting an army that would be answerable to his sister's husband (and hence potentially his sister).  So perhaps that outcome was not entirely unforeseen or unwelcome, although it is a very dangerous game to play with so few (?) legit heirs left, given prevailing life expectancies of the nobility in these stories.

That said, there is something dubious about the master plan of bringing an end to chaos and poor rule by systematically fomenting more chaos and worse rule.

Yeah, I don't think Viserys schtick of being all about what is best for Westeros really works.

If he really cared about that, he would simply have supported Robert and the Lannisters without reservation. Certainly the Mad King was no picnic for the realm, and if what you care about is actually the "little people", then whatever avoids war and chaos is almost certainly what is best for them in a basically feudal system.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on April 27, 2015, 02:29:18 PM
What's up with the latest grumbler-CC-Berkut three-way love fest? It seems to be dominating every single thread of late.

:lol:  You've got 50% more posts than either Berkut or I, and you are moaning about us?  Life.  Get one.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Jon wants to find Bran and Rickon and provide for their safety.  Why wouldn't Jon tell Stannis about the heirs of the house Stark to enlist Stannis' aid to help protect them.

Of the top of my head:
(a) he doesn't trust Stannis
(b) he doesn't know if Stannis will win

2 pretty damn good reasons as I see it.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson