And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 21, 2015, 09:25:32 AM
No, it's speculation.

Unless it's from an aired(or leaked) show and in the case of GoT, a book. It's all speculation.

This is mere argument by assertion.  An actor saying that there will be scene X isn't speculation, it is spoiler.  The scenes have been filmed; it's not like the actor can only speculate on what they did in the past. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Quote from: grumbler on April 21, 2015, 09:48:01 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 21, 2015, 09:25:32 AM
No, it's speculation.

Unless it's from an aired(or leaked) show and in the case of GoT, a book. It's all speculation.

This is mere argument by assertion.  An actor saying that there will be scene X isn't speculation, it is spoiler.  The scenes have been filmed; it's not like the actor can only speculate on what they did in the past.

Are we not allowed to discuss things that actors say? What about titles of the episodes - these are also officially released in advance. So if I know that the next episode is titled "High Sparrow", I am not allowed to speculate on what the episode will show?

There is a difference between discussing an actual unique/exclusive/unofficial knowledge the poster has (e.g. let's say I saw the leaked episodes and there was something in them I started to discuss - that would be a true spoiler) and a speculation based on something someone else - officially associated with the show and clearly as a part of the show's marketing strategy - says.

If, for example, HBO announces that the next season is filmed in Spain, you can speculate that some parts of the season will take place in Dorne - and that is NOT a spoiler (even though it is based on an information that comes from outside of any episode seen so far).

Berkut

Quote from: Martinus on April 21, 2015, 09:47:46 AM
Quote from: Berkut on April 21, 2015, 09:44:23 AM
you did not say what the source was

What part of "[spoiler]Sophie Turner (Sansa), Iwan Rheon (Ramsay) and Alfie Alen (Theon)[/spoiler] have been teasing that" did you not understand?

The part where I don't want it be even more spoiled than it already was so certainly was not going to go looking under your spoiler tag to see? Duh.

And the actors spoiling something is still a spoiler.

How is that not stating the source - I expressly refer to actors on the show who are the source of these rumours.

Except you don't, because you hide the source under the spoiler. Which is pretty amusing - since YOU claim that the actual content they are spoiling is NOT a spoiler (or did) but that WHO is spoiling it IS a spoiler! That is pretty amazingly stupid, even for you.

WHAT they say IS NOT a spoiler, but WHO says it IS a spolier? That is laughable it is so stupid.

And yes, because the actors under the spoiler tag are very specific actors I did think that knowing they are the ones saying it may have a spoilerish quality (as it can be at least reasonably assumed it involves them somehow) so I have kept their names under a spoiler tag from the very beginning.

Yeah, that was brilliant - you will put who created the spoiler under a spoiler, but not what they spoiled - because as long as you don't say the name of the character it happens to, why, it can't possibly be a spoiler!

Of course, you have since conceded that in fact it is all spoiler - if your post looked originally the way you edited it now, this never would have even elicited a comment.

Now we get to watch you simultaneously concede that you were completely wrong (by editing the post to conform to reasonable expectations) and go into a rage that really, you weren't wrong at all, and Berkut is lashing out because of his personal problems. It really is rather typical of you, sad to say.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Martinus

Quote from: grumbler on April 14, 2015, 02:27:24 PM
Quote from: Zanza on April 14, 2015, 01:19:22 PM
Bron appears in this season, grumbler.

Great news!  He is always good for two or three memorable quips an episode.

How's that not a spoiler deserving your ire, by the way? And my speculation was.

Martinus

Berkut, sorry, I don't respond to posts with multiple quotes line by line - my life is too short to engage with people who do that.

Berkut

Yeah, you edit their posts so they are saying something they didn't say at all, and respond to that instead. Your life is apparently plenty long for that kind of dishonesty, at least.

0 rows returned

Martinus

Quote from: Berkut on April 21, 2015, 09:55:26 AM
WHAT they say IS NOT a spoiler, but WHO says it IS a spolier? That is laughable it is so stupid.

If an actor said "my character dies this season" then it is clearly an information that becomes a spoiler depending on which actor said it. Same with "there is that scene in the season that is so horrible, I felt nauseated just shooting it".

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on April 21, 2015, 09:56:01 AM
Quote from: grumbler on April 14, 2015, 02:27:24 PM
Quote from: Zanza on April 14, 2015, 01:19:22 PM
Bron appears in this season, grumbler.

Great news!  He is always good for two or three memorable quips an episode.

How's that not a spoiler deserving your ire, by the way? And my speculation was.

What ire?  Are you drunk again?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Berkut

Quote from: Martinus on April 21, 2015, 09:59:27 AM
Quote from: Berkut on April 21, 2015, 09:55:26 AM

If an actor said "my character dies this season" then it is clearly an information that becomes a spoiler depending on which actor said it.

And saying that a character is going to die this season is a spoiler even if you don't say which one. "A major characer dies this season" is a spoiler, whether you mention which one or not.

Saying there will be a scene like the red wedding is a spoiler whether you mention which characters will be involved or not.

It is telling us something we didn't know. It is spoiling the surprise. These are very simple words.

0 rows returned

Martinus

As it has been said repeatedly by myself and others, in a show like GoT, expecting nasty shit to hit the fan or a major character to die over the course of a season is not a spoiler, because this is what people expect from this show.

Berkut

Quote from: Martinus on April 21, 2015, 10:09:07 AM
As it has been said repeatedly by myself and others, in a show like GoT, expecting nasty shit to hit the fan or a major character to die over the course of a season is not a spoiler, because this is what people expect from this show.

The example specific to this show (a scene akin to the red wedding) does not happen every season, hence the relevance of the comment. If it was so common place, it would not even merit a mention - the fact that it is worth bringing up proves that it is a spoiler in the very definition of the word.

Why would this be disturbing, as you said, if it was just more of the same stuff that happens all the time?

You can't have it both ways - it can't be interesting enough to warrant comment and at the same time be so uninteresting that it can't possibly be considered a spoiler.

0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

Has this charming tete a tete really been going on since 3 in the morning?

Grey Fox

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 21, 2015, 10:24:32 AM
Has this charming tete a tete really been going on since 3 in the morning?

It had a 3 hour break, I guess Marti went to dinner but has since started back up.

I helped.  :hmm:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius