News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Liep on April 14, 2015, 11:32:11 AM
It's been 4 years since book 5 was released? I can't remember much from it and certainly not from Dany's storyline, so what tricky place? :P

Where she gets found by the Dothraki.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Liep

Quote from: Valmy on April 14, 2015, 11:33:23 AM
Quote from: Liep on April 14, 2015, 11:32:11 AM
It's been 4 years since book 5 was released? I can't remember much from it and certainly not from Dany's storyline, so what tricky place? :P

Where she gets found by the Dothraki.

Alright I'll just read it again.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Valmy

Might want to wait until the next book is about to come out. You might forget it all again by then  :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Liep

Quote from: Valmy on April 14, 2015, 11:41:36 AM
Might want to wait until the next book is about to come out. You might forget it all again by then  :P

By then the HBO show will be over. :(
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Valmy

Quote from: Liep on April 14, 2015, 11:42:11 AM
Quote from: Valmy on April 14, 2015, 11:41:36 AM

By then the HBO show will be over. :(

Supposedly he is all determined to get the book out before the show starts next year since that will have book 6 material. That makes me feel confident we will see it before 2020.

The Larch

The worst part of Daenerys' plot in the books is how she suddenly turned from being an ambitious and wise beyond her years leader into a drooling idiot teenager who keeps lusting about a guy with a golden tooth and a dyed beard and who seems absolutely impervous to all the shit going down around her. It's as if she lost 50 IQ points between books 3 and 5.

The couple of Barristan episodes in the 5th book move the plot forward more than the entire Dany storyline in Mereen thus far.

Grey Fox

My gf, having only watched ep 1 of season 5 no other, ask when Dano reminds Dany she's the mother of dragon :

Her - so that girl had 3 children? she looks 15.
me - no, they are actual giant dragons.
Her - ah, that makes more sense.

GoT a world where dragons make more sense then multiple teen pregnancies.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

Quote from: The Larch on April 14, 2015, 11:44:18 AM
The worst part of Daenerys' plot in the books is how she suddenly turned from being an ambitious and wise beyond her years leader into a drooling idiot teenager who keeps lusting about a guy with a golden tooth and a dyed beard and who seems absolutely impervous to all the shit going down around her. It's as if she lost 50 IQ points between books 3 and 5.

The couple of Barristan episodes in the 5th book move the plot forward more than the entire Dany storyline in Mereen thus far.
I dunno.
I think she keeps the idealism and all that...its just she realises after the first city she conquers goes to hell that she really has to put some serious work into ruling. Which she isn't great at,
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Yeah I thought it was just showing how ruling is really hard and less that Dany is stupid. And yes the series continues to be incapable of coming up with sex that doesn't creep me out, in reference to Dany's tension relief.

The Larch

Come on guys, her internal dialogue in the 5th book is all "Should I marry this guy? Or this other guy? But the one I like is Daario...oh his golden tooth... *drools*" while Barristan goes crazy trying to prod her into action of any kind. It's Mereen 90210.

grumbler

I think that it is fine that martin decided to have Dani "prove her chops" in slaver's bay before heading back to Westeros.  It makes it more credible that some of the nobles there will join her.  Martin goes into way more Dani than necessary for that plot development, though.  To be fair, he needed to turn 1/3 of a book into a massive tome for ego reasons, so naturally it is going to drag.

That's why the TV series is superior, IMO; they can't get as self-indulgent as martin gets in the books, and now they are moving away from his story and into one that can be resolved in a human lifespan.

I'm definitely noting some aging among the actors this season.

I really miss Bron bot if we continue to get so much Varys i don't think I'll miss him for long.  Some great dialogue between Varys and Tyrion.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

It's as if she lost 50 IQ points between books 3 and 5.
normal behavior for teenage girl falling in love.  She's 13-14 in the books, not 27.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Zanza

Bron appears in this season, grumbler.

The Larch

Quote from: viper37 on April 14, 2015, 01:16:43 PM
normal behavior for teenage girl falling in love.  She's 13-14 in the books, not 27.

She was 13 or so in book 1, and she ended up being completely smitten by Khal Drogo, yet she was very grounded and determined in books 2 and 3, only to turn all mushy in book 5.

viper37

Quote from: The Larch on April 14, 2015, 01:24:52 PM
Quote from: viper37 on April 14, 2015, 01:16:43 PM

She was 13 or so in book 1, and she ended up being completely smitten by Khal Drogo, yet she was very grounded and determined in books 2 and 3, only to turn all mushy in book 5.
again, normal behavior for 13-14 years old girl.  I don't know how long it's been since Khal Drogo, so I don't know if one year or two have passed sinced book 1.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.