News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Martinus on April 21, 2015, 02:56:00 AMde rigeur

If you want to act pretentious, at least make sure you spell words correctly; otherwise you come across as a hick with airs of grandeur.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Berkut

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 21, 2015, 03:07:41 AM
I really can't see how something that vague can be called a spoiler.

Something very important and disturbing happens at the end of every season of Game of Thrones, that ain't a damn spoiler.

There have been exactly one scene like the Red Wedding, and that was the Red Wedding. Since it has happened exactly once, saying it happens "every season" is clearly complete bullshit.

And even Marty agrees it is a spoiler  - you can tell because he put a spoiler tag on it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Grey Fox

Berk, why are you arguing with Martinus from 3 to 5 am?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on April 21, 2015, 02:58:40 AM
I don't know anything about your personal life and I am not pretending I do. It just boggles my mind that a grown up man with kids would react so insanely to a perceived spoiler about a tv show (even if it was a spoiler - which it wasn't) so I gotta assume there is something going on and either you are simply in need of a mental help or you must be really stressed in your life.

Do you really think that the ad homs make your position stronger?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Solmyr

Berk, you are really being way too bitchy here. While arguing with Martinus. That's quite an achievement.

grumbler

Quote from: Solmyr on April 21, 2015, 07:02:29 AM
Berk, you are really being way too bitchy here. While arguing with Martinus. That's quite an achievement.

Yeah, Berkut is probably over-reacting.  But his position in general is one worth defending.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Quote from: Solmyr on April 21, 2015, 07:02:29 AM

Quite likely true - but at least it got Marty to acknowledge that spoiling the show is something that should be avoided.

0 rows returned

Grey Fox

Speculations are not spoilers, no amount of argument vitriol will make that a reality.

Berkut

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 21, 2015, 08:46:33 AM
Speculations are not spoilers, no amount of argument vitriol will make that a reality.

Nobody says speculation is a spoiler - saying that you heard from someone that there is a scene with some particular characteristics is not speculation. It is saying you heard that something is going to happen...throwing a "maybe" in or not mentioning the specific names is not speculation. In fact, the way he did it, where someone reading can see that there are in fact more details behind a spoiler tag, makes it even more obvious that this is something specific, and not just idle speculation.

0 rows returned

Grey Fox

No, it's speculation.

Unless it's from an aired(or leaked) show and in the case of GoT, a book. It's all speculation.

Martinus

Yeah, the news comes from an official interview with a cast member. It's no different than, say, GRRM giving an interview and saying that "in the sixth book there will be this big event involving X" - repeating that is not a spoiler and speculating about the nature of the big event is not a spoiler either.

Spoiler is saying something that you know will happen because you have information others do not have.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Martinus

Anyway, going back to the topic of the thread - let's discuss last episode.

Do you guys think [spoiler]Sansa turning down Brienne's offer of aid[/spoiler] was sincere or was it a game on her part [spoiler]and she knew Brienne will follow her anyway[/spoiler].

Berkut

Quote from: Martinus on April 21, 2015, 09:33:33 AM
Yeah, the news comes from an official interview with a cast member. It's no different than, say, GRRM giving an interview and saying that "in the sixth book there will be this big event involving X" - repeating that is not a spoiler and speculating about the nature of the big event is not a spoiler either.

Spoiler is saying something that you know will happen because you have information others do not have.

That is exactly what you said - that you had read rumors about what was going to happen later in the season. and it would involve something like the red wedding scene. You did not say they were speculation, you did not say what the source was, you did not say any of that.

That is in fact saying you know something will happen based on information others do not have.

Like I already said, maybe you are wrong, and no such scene will happen. If it does though, you will have partially spoiled that surprise. That is the exact definition of the term "spoiler". There is a reason the word is based on the word "spoil".

0 rows returned

Martinus

Quote from: Berkut on April 21, 2015, 09:44:23 AM
you did not say what the source was

What part of "[spoiler]Sophie Turner (Sansa), Iwan Rheon (Ramsay) and Alfie Alen (Theon)[/spoiler] have been teasing that" did you not understand? How is that not stating the source - I expressly refer to actors on the show who are the source of these rumours. And yes, because the actors under the spoiler tag are very specific actors I did think that knowing they are the ones saying it may have a spoilerish quality (as it can be at least reasonably assumed it involves them somehow) so I have kept their names under a spoiler tag from the very beginning.