News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Very roughly speaking it's one year per book.

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on April 14, 2015, 02:00:50 PM
Very roughly speaking it's one year per book.

That is what I have been going with. Except I figure books 4 and 5 cover about 1.5 years, whatever years may mean in that world with those weird seasonal patterns.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josephus

Quote from: viper37 on April 14, 2015, 01:57:28 PM
Quote from: The Larch on April 14, 2015, 01:24:52 PM
Quote from: viper37 on April 14, 2015, 01:16:43 PM
Quote from: The Larch on April 14, 2015, 11:44:18 AM
It's as if she lost 50 IQ points between books 3 and 5.
normal behavior for teenage girl falling in love.  She's 13-14 in the books, not 27.

She was 13 or so in book 1, and she ended up being completely smitten by Khal Drogo, yet she was very grounded and determined in books 2 and 3, only to turn all mushy in book 5.
again, normal behavior for 13-14 years old girl.  I don't know how long it's been since Khal Drogo, so I don't know if one year or two have passed sinced book 1.

A normal teenage girl, or at least a normal teenage girl who's hathched three dragons and freed slaves from several cities and become a queen.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

grumbler

Quote from: Zanza on April 14, 2015, 01:19:22 PM
Bron appears in this season, grumbler.

Great news!  He is always good for two or three memorable quips an episode.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on April 14, 2015, 02:14:20 PM
A normal teenage girl, or at least a normal teenage girl who's hathched three dragons and freed slaves from several cities and become a queen.
just because she did some great things does not mean she is emotionless and adult-like in her maturity to deal with her feelings.
Up until she reached that city and established her power base, she was in a very dire situation all along, fighting for her very survival.  Now, she has time to relax, settle in a bit and emotions start to surface.

Yes, it's boring, but it's not out of character considering she's so young.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Berkut

It is a book written by an author, so it is hardly *necessary* that she act in such a manner, so the fact that she DOES act in such a manner is not defensible from a story standpoint on the basis of it being relatively plausible, had she been an actual person, to act in such a manner.

The goal of a good story is not to just be plausible.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Siege

Quote from: grumbler on April 13, 2015, 02:32:40 PM
Twenty seasons of GoT would be dreadful.  Six is the sweet spot for HBO (seven appears to be the producers' plan; they know better than me what's likely to work), so 20 would be far in excess of what has worked. 

I'd rather have 6-7 seasons of GoT, 6-7 seasons of, say, Honor Harrington, and 6-7 seasons of, say, Lensman or Tales of Known Space than 20 seasons of GoT.

I would prefer 10 seasons of GoT, then 10 seasons of GoT: Dunk and Egg, then 10 seasons of GoT: The heroic age, then GoT: House of the Dragon.
Then we could have a full lenght film: "Robert's Rebellion".

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

normal behavior for teenage girl falling in love.  She's 13-14 in the books, not 27.

Who's 27?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Liep

Quote from: Siege on April 15, 2015, 07:45:05 AM

Who's 27?

The actress is 28.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: grumbler on April 14, 2015, 02:27:24 PM
Quote from: Zanza on April 14, 2015, 01:19:22 PM
Bron appears in this season, grumbler.

Great news!  He is always good for two or three memorable quips an episode.
The actor is also in Ripper Street.  He's quite good in that if you're looking for a new show.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Liep

Daenerys keeps getting hotter.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk