And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on June 22, 2014, 10:00:15 AM
Quote from: viper37 on June 22, 2014, 09:43:52 AM
I don't see how you reach that conclusion...
Cersei poisoned Robert, and Joffrey executed Ned Stark despite the agreement.  This prompted the war between the North and the Lannisters.  Robert's death prompted Stannis to declare war, as well as his brother.
Is there something I am forgetting?
The war had started in the Riverlands before Robert even was killed.  Tywin had sent the Mountain on his rampage and he himself set out with a host to attack Harrenhal, all before Robert died.
I agree that Tywin's gross (albeit predictable) overreaction to Catelyn's act of insanity was what really started things ablaze.  And for the sake of a son who he would really rather be killed in any event.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Viking

Quote from: Neil on June 22, 2014, 05:21:32 PM
Quote from: grumbler on June 22, 2014, 10:00:15 AM
Quote from: viper37 on June 22, 2014, 09:43:52 AM
I don't see how you reach that conclusion...
Cersei poisoned Robert, and Joffrey executed Ned Stark despite the agreement.  This prompted the war between the North and the Lannisters.  Robert's death prompted Stannis to declare war, as well as his brother.
Is there something I am forgetting?
The war had started in the Riverlands before Robert even was killed.  Tywin had sent the Mountain on his rampage and he himself set out with a host to attack Harrenhal, all before Robert died.
I agree that Tywin's gross (albeit predictable) overreaction to Catelyn's act of insanity was what really started things ablaze.  And for the sake of a son who he would really rather be killed in any event.

At the time it was probably the most idiotic move he could have made with Ned Stark as Robert's Hand. What if they fail to murder him using the most convoluted murder scheme yet devised. What if Robert had realized he had a rebellious lord, just like Balon Greyjoy and he had an excuse to do what he wanted more than anything else in the world - plus - force tywin to cancel the debts as part of his submission to the King's Armies. Tywin, like Joffrey, doesn't seem to be a character, so much as a foil or plot device for other characters.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Neil

How could Robert intervene effectively, being caught between the two sides?  It would be politically unfeasible for him to move against Tywin, since not only was Tywin propping Robert up, but if he acted against him then no noble would ever be able to support Robert again.  Why support a guy who replies by cancelling any favours he owes you with a sword to your neck?  And that's assuming that Robert would even have the power to defeat Tywin's armies in the first place.  And at the same time, Catelyn was obviously in the wrong, and Ned was wrong to support her.  Tywin was foolish to do what he did, but it's not like Robert could have acted effectively against him.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Quote from: Viking on June 22, 2014, 05:36:18 PM
At the time it was probably the most idiotic move he could have made with Ned Stark as Robert's Hand. What if they fail to murder him using the most convoluted murder scheme yet devised. What if Robert had realized he had a rebellious lord, just like Balon Greyjoy and he had an excuse to do what he wanted more than anything else in the world - plus - force tywin to cancel the debts as part of his submission to the King's Armies. Tywin, like Joffrey, doesn't seem to be a character, so much as a foil or plot device for other characters.

Indeed, that's what makes Tywin's acts so interesting.  For him to succeed, Robert had to be neutralized and Ned's power as Hand broken.  It's almost as if Tywin knew Robert was going to die...

Tywin's actions, as you note, make no sense in the long term if Robert hadn't been killed.  If Robert lives, then Ned's actions as Hand become de facto the law (and cat's actions justified).  As it is, Tywin gains invaluable positioning if Robert were to suffer a mischief.

Maybe Littlefinger was an even naughtier boy than we so far know. :hmm:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on June 22, 2014, 06:14:15 PM
How could Robert intervene effectively, being caught between the two sides?  It would be politically unfeasible for him to move against Tywin, since not only was Tywin propping Robert up, but if he acted against him then no noble would ever be able to support Robert again.  Why support a guy who replies by cancelling any favours he owes you with a sword to your neck?  And that's assuming that Robert would even have the power to defeat Tywin's armies in the first place.  And at the same time, Catelyn was obviously in the wrong, and Ned was wrong to support her.  Tywin was foolish to do what he did, but it's not like Robert could have acted effectively against him.
If Robert survives the North, the Riverlands and the Stormlands will support him. I don't see how he survives without Cersei being outed/killed so he'll need a need Queen and the Tyrells have just the girl for the job.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Habbaku on June 21, 2014, 09:34:14 PM

Yep.  And the combination of Littlefinger and Varys' machinations aren't helping, though at least Varys seems to have good intentions...

Does he?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 23, 2014, 10:06:20 AM

Yep.  And the combination of Littlefinger and Varys' machinations aren't helping, though at least Varys seems to have good intentions...

Does he?
Good for some people, not so good for others.  If you've read the books, they have gone further into his motivations and goals.  We think, anyway...
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

Given that he seems to travel east with Tyrion, I wonder how are they going to reconcile the story with the future events he is supposed to be part of at King's Landing.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: viper37 on June 23, 2014, 10:42:26 AM
Given that he seems to travel east with Tyrion, I wonder how are they going to reconcile the story with the future events he is supposed to be part of at King's Landing.

I think he just puts Tyrion on a ship.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Habbaku

Considering his position, I would imagine it pretty trivial to have him head back to KL after seeing Tyrion off at some point.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: grumbler on June 23, 2014, 10:16:08 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 23, 2014, 10:06:20 AM

Does he?
Good for some people, not so good for others.  If you've read the books, they have gone further into his motivations and goals.  We think, anyway...

Yep.  From what information we have, we at least are lead to think Varys is up to bad things for good reasons.  Time will tell.  This is entirely consistent with what we have of him sneaking around in the first book.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on June 23, 2014, 10:16:08 AM
Good for some people, not so good for others.

Exactly.
And he doesn't sweat the collateral damage too much.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: Habbaku on June 23, 2014, 11:17:07 AM

Considering his position, I would imagine it pretty trivial to have him head back to KL after seeing Tyrion off at some point.
IIRC, In the books [spoiler]he only surreptitiously returns to KL; in fact, the Lannisters "know" he helped free Tyrion, because a jailer - actually another of his disguises - is found missing when he departs with Tyrion.  [/spoiler]

Bayraktar!

Siege

Quote from: garbon on June 18, 2014, 11:06:26 AM
Quote from: Tamas on June 18, 2014, 11:00:02 AM
Quote from: grumbler on June 18, 2014, 10:22:07 AM
Quote from: Tamas on June 18, 2014, 09:52:15 AM
It bores me.

What is not boring is the emo "I'm bored so stop posting" argument.  While, in truth, no one gives a shit about what bores you, I at least find your whining amusing.

can you cut an armor with my whining, though, or you need to thrust?

I can show you a good thrust.

:lol:

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

Anyway, about armor, a hundred years from now people, who will be wearing full power armor, will argue that primitive unpowered armor from the early 21st century was extremely heavy and very little effective at stopping bullets, and only stoopid piple used it.
Also, they will argue endlessly whether assault rifles or machine guns were more effective, and forget about the ways unarmored people fought armored foes, mostly with IEDs, RPGs and indirect fires like mortars and 107mm chinese made rockets.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"