And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on June 18, 2014, 11:39:15 PM
I have to admit that bitching about talking about medieval combat in a GoT thread might be one of the most odd complaints I've seen on Languish. That isn't even close to a thread hijack. In case Tamas has not noticed, there is a lot of medieval fighting going on in Game of Thrones.

By Languish standards, this is as on topic as it gets.

And, anyway, my argument wasn't about whether swords should have been used, buut rather about how the swordfights involving Jon Snow and the last one with the Hound, ended up as fistfights.  It seemed like everybody was getting punched in the face and then disarmed, but that being disarmed wasn't a serious handicap, becuase you could always get inside the other's sword and punch or kick them.   I thought it was lol-funny after a while, but it wasn't dramatic at all, because three-stooges-level comedy isn't ever dramatic.

My complaint has nothing to do with "realistic" weapons or tactics (well, my complaint does according to cRazY cAnuCk, but he won't say why I think that or give me any details about what it is that I am sure of), it has to do with choreography.  The fight between the Mountain and Oberyn Martell, was very well-done, but Snow and the Hound don't get so lucky.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josephus

Finally finished Book 4.

[spoiler]Thought Cersei's downfall was a bit too sudden and unlikely[/spoiler]
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Liep

Quote from: Josephus on June 21, 2014, 02:57:19 PM
Finally finished Book 4.

But it felt very good.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Viking

Quote from: Josephus on June 21, 2014, 02:57:19 PM
Finally finished Book 4.

But it is all [spoiler]of her own making. She murdered the previous and pliable Head Septon because Tyrion arranged for his election and then she didn't arrange for a suitable and pliable one herself.  I especially like the subtle suggestions about how she is deteriorating as she drinks more and jamie is gone.[/spoiler]
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Admiral Yi

[spoiler]Yeah, the instant she legalized armed religious orders I thought the writing was on the wall.  If not exactly her imprisonment, something else bad for the Lannisters.[/spoiler]

Josephus

It just seemed strange that[spoiler]all of a sudden some hedge knight or whatever he was yells "Ive been fucking her" and all hell breaks loose. She's not even married at this point. I realize she created a monster when she armed the septons, but do they wield that much power. Can't Tommen be told to say "Release her at once.?"[/spoiler]
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

As I wrote that last post, it dawned on me that I guess the [spoiler]treasonous charges against her are for conspiring to accuse Margaery of illicit affairs. Fair enough...but would the septon have that power? Wouldn't that be Tommen's call?[/spoiler]
Civis Romanus Sum

Berkut

The real problem here isn't about who has the power to do it, it is that with the death of Tywin, there isn't anyone with a monopoly on power at this point. It is basically chaos.

Tyrion really fucked up Westeros when he shot his dad. He was the only thing holding the entire sordid mess together.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Josephus

Interesting take, Berkut, thanks.
Civis Romanus Sum

Habbaku

Quote from: Berkut on June 21, 2014, 08:30:49 PM
The real problem here isn't about who has the power to do it, it is that with the death of Tywin, there isn't anyone with a monopoly on power at this point. It is basically chaos.

Tyrion really fucked up Westeros when he shot his dad. He was the only thing holding the entire sordid mess together.

Yep.  And the combination of Littlefinger and Varys' machinations aren't helping, though at least Varys seems to have good intentions...
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on June 21, 2014, 08:30:49 PM

Tyrion either fucked up Westeros, or saved it.  it isn't like Tywin was using his power for the benefit of the kingdom as a whole.  Tywin was the guy who triggered the war, after all.

I agree with your contention that everyone is grabbing what power they can after the death of Tywin.  Customary powers don't mean a lot in that situation.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on June 22, 2014, 02:06:17 AM
Tywin was the guy who triggered the war, after all.
I don't see how you reach that conclusion...
Cersei poisoned Robert, and Joffrey executed Ned Stark despite the agreement.  This prompted the war between the North and the Lannisters.  Robert's death prompted Stannis to declare war, as well as his brother.
Is there something I am forgetting?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

I wonder what would have happened if they had been able to control Joffrey....

I dont think Tywin's death has really screwed up much yet but the brewing stuff with the religious orders...we'll see how that goes. He wouldn't have stood for it though.
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on June 22, 2014, 09:43:52 AM
I don't see how you reach that conclusion...
Cersei poisoned Robert, and Joffrey executed Ned Stark despite the agreement.  This prompted the war between the North and the Lannisters.  Robert's death prompted Stannis to declare war, as well as his brother.
Is there something I am forgetting?

The war had started in the Riverlands before Robert even was killed.  Tywin had sent the Mountain on his rampage and he himself set out with a host to attack Harrenhal, all before Robert died.

Bayraktar!