News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Surely there was a need for the warsaw or it wouldn't have been invented?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Norgy

One of the reasons the Norse were fond of axes was that it was a weapon of dual functionality. They could hack and slash, and throw it. The impact of a thrown axe, even the smaller ones, is quite impressive.

I don't know much about swords, but them being pointy would suggest you stab with them rather than cut.

garbon

Quote from: Norgy on June 17, 2014, 12:21:06 PM
I don't know much about swords, but them being pointy would suggest you stab with them rather than cut.

But you also have sharp edges so couldn't you both thrust and cut?

Besides, many knives used in the home have pointy ends though the primary use is for cutting not thrusting.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

11B4V

Quote from: garbon on June 17, 2014, 12:23:54 PM
Quote from: Norgy on June 17, 2014, 12:21:06 PM

But you also have sharp edges so couldn't you both thrust and cut?

Besides, many knives used in the home have pointy ends though the primary use is for cutting not thrusting.

There is a reason why a Katanna, saber, scimitar and the like have curved blades. But according to berkut they dont cut.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Norgy

I gladly accept that this is stuff that I know little about.
But I am an expert at cutting myself when preparing food.  :cry:

The Brain

11B4V

Quote from: Berkut on June 17, 2014, 11:30:30 AM

Imagine you are trying to cut a steak with a really, really sharp knife. Will your knife cut throught the steak if you simply swing it at the steak and hit it with the sharp edge? Not really - you have to CUT the steak, running that sharp edge back and forth across the meat, and then it will in fact cut very nicely.

Horseshit.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Norgy

Not quite the average Swedish-made penis enlarger pump (and how they are my bag, baby).

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 17, 2014, 10:55:15 AM
Quote from: grumbler on June 16, 2014, 08:45:00 PM
And I will moan once again about the swordplay.  Seriously. If any fighter in the show had simply used a thrust, all of this windmill-swinging and clashing of swords would have been eliminated.  Swords have points, people!  Using them like wood-chopping axes isn't smart.

Take it up with Errol Flynn et al. 

really/  You think Errol Flynn et al sucked at sword fighting in the movies, and that GoT is the one doing it right?  I utterly disagree.  I think the way Errol Flynn et al did it is the way it should be done.  That's what i would argue in response to the argument that doing the windmill thing is necessary to make sword fights exciting for TV as well.

Now, I don't expect fencing with broadswords, but I'd expect the use of points.

but, to each his own, I guess.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

Grumbler remembers his training with Legio I Germanica
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on June 17, 2014, 12:51:12 PM
really/  You think Errol Flynn et al sucked at sword fighting in the movies, and that GoT is the one doing it right? 

No of course not - they are all doing it wrong because the purpose is to show action and dramatic effect, not realistic technique whatever that is.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 17, 2014, 12:55:25 PM
Grumbler remembers his training with Legio I Germanica
I do?  Thanks, grandpa!  :hug:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon