Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 16, 2014, 04:12:35 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 16, 2014, 02:47:23 PM
That was disappointing.

But from here on in the writing in the show cant be any worse than book 5 so the general level of disappointment should be less.  And btw I was right.  They completely messed up the backstory for why the Imp did what he did.  Dumbing down FTL

You and QueenG should form a club.
It's called the Broken Record Club.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Jaron on June 16, 2014, 02:00:45 AM
[spoiler]Let's see if I do this right...
1. Tyrion parted with Jaime on pretty good terms. It was much different in the book. It was something Tyrion somewhat brooded on in DwD. They could introduce a similar plot device later, I'm sure.... but it was very surprising to see that.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]I thinik that they are skipping that whole element of the story in the book.  It never made any sense for Tyrion to claim to have killed Joffrey anyway.[/spoiler]

Quote[spoiler] 2. WHY JOJEN? Okay I guess he is somewhat doomed in the book too, but I wasn't expecting him to go out like that. [/spoiler]
[spoiler]That one took me by surprise as well.  I wonder if the books' depiction of his death would have just been too complex a story for TV.  Clearly, he couldn't have had a vital role in the future books, if the show was wiling to kill him off at this point.  Again, TV needs visual drama more than the books, so perhaps this was simply the more visually dramatic way to off him.  That's all guesswork, though.[/spoiler]
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

HVC

no coldhands on the tv show. Guess he doesn't turn out to be anyone important.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Scipio

Quote from: Valmy on June 16, 2014, 01:01:20 PM
Man it looks like Robert did as good a job killing of all the Targaryans as the Bolsheviks did killing off all the Romanovs.
Pretty fucking poorly, aye.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

grumbler

Quote from: Scipio on June 16, 2014, 08:25:31 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 16, 2014, 01:01:20 PM
Man it looks like Robert did as good a job killing of all the Targaryans as the Bolsheviks did killing off all the Romanovs.
Pretty fucking poorly, aye.
Robert's abilities to kill Targaryans versus Varys's ability to protect them?  Give me a break.

Bayraktar!

Josquius

Ive seen a few posts on  the internet speaking highly of jojen. Maybe the actor has been offered a bigger role in something else and they figure they might as well kill him?

The children are disappointing. Way too 80s fantasy - was that magic or grenades?
Their home too looks a bit too nice and conventional fantasyish. Even the bones on the floor were rather meh. It was supposed to be rather unsettling and questionable about whether it was good or not- dark and deep and with the tree man being an abomination with the tree growing through him.
This too could be another reason to kill jojen- maybe in the books something is due to happen to him in the dodgy children's under dark? (Did it already? Why can't I remember the last book.... I just remember him being ill)

Shame there was no cold hands. Even if he wasn't the stark uncle he still seemed fairly important in being a "good other".
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

While we are on curiously skipped scenes,
[spoiler]I wonder why it isn't shown in the episode that varys is the one who sends Tyrion off to kill Tywin?  That seems a pretty major plot point.  maybe it will be reconstructed in retrospect, but they were already paying Conleth Hill to appear in the episode, and they could have easily have found time in the episode to show it, like by making the silly sword fight between Brienne and Sandor Clegane into something that looked like like a real fight would look.[/spoiler]

And I will moan once again about the swordplay.  Seriously. If any fighter in the show had simply used a thrust, all of this windmill-swinging and clashing of swords would have been eliminated.  Swords have points, people!  Using them like wood-chopping axes isn't smart.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Tyr on June 16, 2014, 08:43:06 PM
Ive seen a few posts in the internet speaking highly of jojen. Maybe the actor has been offered a bigger role in something else and they figure they mouth as well kill him?

That's actually one of the better explanations I have heard.  I don't necessarily buy it, but it explains things well.

QuoteThe children are disappointing. Way too 80s fantasy - was that magic or grenades?
Their home too looks a bit too nice and conventional fantasyish. Even the bones on the floor were rather meh. It was supposed to be rather unsettling and questionable about whether it was good or not- dark and deep and with the tree man being an abomination with the tree growing through him.
This too could be another reason to kill jojen- maybe in the books something is due to happen to him in the dodgy children's under dark? (Did it already? Why can't I remember the last book.... I just remember him being ill)

Agreed.  In the books, it stil isn't clear that what is luring Bran north is "good' in any sense.

QuoteShame there was no cold hands. Even if he wasn't the stark uncle he still seemed fairly important in being a "good other".

I am quite satisfied with their leaving him out.  It isn't at all clear, as i mentioned, that "good' will come of Bran's quest.  [spoiler]I personally believe that we will find that Bran is the victim of his own desire to walk/fly/warg, and will end up serving the bad guys.[/spoiler]

Bayraktar!

Josephus

Can't remember how [spoiler]Sandor dies in the books[/spoiler]
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

Half way through book five, I haven't read a confirmed kill yet.

Josquius

Quote from: Josephus on June 16, 2014, 09:26:30 PM
Can't remember how [spoiler]Sandor dies in the books[/spoiler]
It's believed he doesn't. He falls into a river and was possibly washed up at a monastery. Nothing confirmed.

The changes to arya and Brienne are interesting.
I guessed the tv show makers loved the hound too much and wanted to make maximum use of him. Whilst in the books briennes quest in the crown lands wasn't particularly interesting and was just a bit of filling in the blanks on the map storytelling.
She is closing in on Sansa though....
██████
██████
██████

Jaron

They didn't even give Arya her direwolf cookie or w/e that thing is.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Viking

I was hoping for a "Lancel and Osmud Kettleblack and Moonboy too" from Tyrion.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Solmyr

Quote from: grumbler on June 16, 2014, 08:45:00 PM
And I will moan once again about the swordplay.  Seriously. If any fighter in the show had simply used a thrust, all of this windmill-swinging and clashing of swords would have been eliminated.  Swords have points, people!  Using them like wood-chopping axes isn't smart.

There's a difference between realistic fighting and fighting that looks good on screen.