News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tyr on June 10, 2014, 10:22:28 AM
hmm, that Rhaegar as Mance idea makes more sense than the basic comparisons I've read before but still....Mance is too minor and it is too late in the day for such a sudden change.

[spoiler]It wouldnt be the first time things have changed so that someone who the reader thought was dead is actually alive and is actually some otherwise minor character who is about to take the stage[/spoiler]

Habbaku

[spoiler]The likelihood of Aegon being the real thing and Mance being Rhaegar are about the same--not very.[/spoiler]
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Quote from: Habbaku on June 10, 2014, 11:31:05 AM
[spoiler]The likelihood of Aegon being the real thing and Mance being Rhaegar are about the same--not very.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Varys was a mummer and Aegon is his dragon.  In any case let me have my fun.  I am well aware I am supposed to be rooting for Daenerys.[/spoiler]
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Habbaku

Quote from: Valmy on June 10, 2014, 11:33:23 AM
Quote from: Habbaku on June 10, 2014, 11:31:05 AM

[spoiler]Varys was a mummer and Aegon is his dragon.  In any case let me have my fun.  I am well aware I am supposed to be rooting for Daenerys.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I am definitely not rooting for Dany overly-much.  She has a good sense of morality, in general, but leaves something to be desired in a ruler.  I am a Stannis man.[/spoiler]
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

jimmy olsen

hmm, that Rhaegar as Mance idea makes more sense than the basic comparisons I've read before but still....Mance is too minor and it is too late in the day for such a sudden change. It wouldn't be quite as bad as Aegon turning out to be real but it would be comparable.  Having such a big twist involving background characters....hmm...

But still....how Mance managed to become king of the wildlings is a story that needs expanding upon.

Aegon is real. What matters if a Dragon is black or red? It is still a Dragon.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

Quote from: Habbaku on June 11, 2014, 12:46:25 AM
I am definitely not rooting for Dany overly-much.  She has a good sense of morality, in general, but leaves something to be desired in a ruler.  I am a Stannis man.

Why spoilered?  :lol:

When Dany marries Jon Snow, then you will have the ruler you want, plus the moral backbone you want.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Liep

Wouldn't that lead to an ending that's far to happy for Martin?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

grumbler

Quote from: Liep on June 11, 2014, 07:42:43 AM
Oh, they won't be alive at the end!  In fact, one or both won't be alive when they marry - white walker zombie marriage, anyone?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Viking

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 11, 2014, 02:37:53 AM
hmm, that Rhaegar as Mance idea makes more sense than the basic comparisons I've read before but still....Mance is too minor and it is too late in the day for such a sudden change. It wouldn't be quite as bad as Aegon turning out to be real but it would be comparable.  Having such a big twist involving background characters....hmm...

But still....how Mance managed to become king of the wildlings is a story that needs expanding upon.

Aegon is real. What matters if a Dragon is black or red? It is still a Dragon.

The dragon's color scheme matters because every other color scheme in the book matters. That Drogon is Black and Red is not a coincidence. That is the largest dragon and those are Targaryen colours. I don't think it is co-incidental that Dany's two old knights arms share a colour scheme with her two remaining dragons. Mormont's Black and Green and Selmy's White and White, matching the other two dragons Rhaegal and Vysarion. Furthermore I don't think that Tyrion's Black and Green eyes are a coincidence or that [spoiler]Ghost is [/spoiler]white by accident. Just imagine when [spoiler]Jon Snow is legitimized as a Stark, can his arms be anything other than a White Wolf on a white field, a variant of the stark Grey Wolf on a White Field[/spoiler].
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Quote from: grumbler on June 11, 2014, 07:53:04 AM
Oh, they won't be alive at the end!  In fact, one or both won't be alive when they marry - white walker zombie marriage, anyone?

If it's good enough for Nights King then it's good enough for Zombie Ygritt.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

crazy canuck

But then after they marry it will turn out neither was actually dead so they can produce an heir but then they will both die in a horribly predictably way along with their child after many chapters are written about them.  Then their child will be found alive.

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 11, 2014, 11:33:00 AM

But then after they marry it will turn out neither was actually dead so they can produce an heir but then they will both die in a horribly predictably way along with their child after many chapters are written about them.  Then their child will be found alive.
That';s why Martin is doing an eighth book, I take it...

Bayraktar!

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".