And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on May 21, 2014, 12:27:16 PM
Quote from: garbon on May 21, 2014, 12:25:07 PM
I don't like Sansa in the books because she didn't seem to have a lot of growth for a long time. She kept to childlike naivete time and time again.  Meanwhile her next of kin (Arya) became a warrior woman in a few seconds flat.

I don't know the stakes kept being raised.  One guy whose life you saved wanting to help you doesn't seem too far fetched. 

In any case I started to get really pumped in AFFC because it seemed like she was growing and learning...and then nothing in the last book.  Damn it.

Sansa goes into a state of denial after Ned gets executed, so she interacts with others less and so is less interesting.  Like you, I think that this is okay and natural.  I also agree that she is coming out of it in the Eyrie, and rather suspect that Littlefinger of gonna get his little scheme crushed by her before it is all over.

All in all, I find her story more credible than Arya's by far, and am more interested in seeing her revenge than Arya's.

This assumes, of course, that she works out that the whole Westeros crisis was fomented by Littlefinger so that he could maneuver Ned into a position where he would be killed, leaving Katelyn to be comforted by LF.*  In fact, I think that we will discover that the real reason LF killed Joffrey was so Joff could never tell anyone that it was LF who convinced Joff to break Tywin's deal with Ned Stark.

*Katelyn's death being unanticipated, of course... and, in any case, LF seems willing to transfer his infatuation to Sansa, who closely resembles her mother at her age.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

KRonn

Grumbler, those are good points. In the books I'm waiting to see what Sansa becomes, as I also felt she was growing out of her shell by the time she was in the Aerie. She's the eldest surviving inheritor of Winterfell and I'm thinking that she'll play quite a large part later on. I haven't yet read the latest book so I don't know what the latest is with her, but that's my guess.

I like Arya well enough but in the books her story line goes overseas and she gets into some odd happenings, which has me wondering if or how she'll play out in the end game.

Valmy

Quote from: KRonn on May 21, 2014, 01:28:57 PM
I haven't yet read the latest book so I don't know what the latest is with her, but that's my guess.

Nothing.  Not a damn thing.  Man that was disappointing to me.  First non-Sansa book of the series.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Liep

Quote from: Valmy on May 21, 2014, 01:30:00 PM
I haven't yet read the latest book so I don't know what the latest is with her, but that's my guess.

Nothing.  Not a damn thing.  Man that was disappointing to me.  First non-Sansa book of the series.

Fear not, wikipedia says that Winds of Winter will have Sansa PoV. Guaranteed to not be published before 2015.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Valmy

Quote from: Liep on May 21, 2014, 01:39:53 PM

Fear not, wikipedia says that Winds of Winter will have Sansa PoV. Guaranteed to not be published before 2015.

If it comes out in 2015 that will be a win.  I would start to have hope that the series will be finished if that happened.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Viking

Quote from: garbon on May 21, 2014, 12:25:07 PM
Quote from: The Brain on May 21, 2014, 12:22:49 PM
Sansa is a great character, but people prefer little-girls-turned-ninja-wizards and obese-guys-who-magically-stay-obese-after-months-of-hunger-and-cold, so whatchagonnado.

I mean if we want to read about helpless characters, we can just chat with some of the members of the forum.

I don't like Sansa in the books because she didn't seem to have a lot of growth for a long time. She kept to childlike naivete time and time again.  Meanwhile her next of kin (Arya) became a warrior woman in a few seconds flat.

I actually like Sansa in part because she has had some profound growth. The line "My Lord I pray for your safe return just like I pray for the King's", which she says to Tyrion, is the coldest thing said by anybody at any time in the entire series. She is already half way from being a piece to a player by the time she escapes King's Landing. She knows what moves she wants to make but is incapable of making them. The tipping point comes some place between The Hound wanting to take Sansa when he flees Kings Landing (not shown in the show and shows how Ramsey Snow and Joffrey are alike, at least in their effect on people) and her running off with Ser Dontos. She goes from wanting to be rescued (which is what she thinks the Tyrells are doing when they try to marry her) to wanting to escape herself. By the time she asks Littlefinger how much he's going to reward Yohn Royce for "that service" she's probably gone through the longest character arc of any character so far. Apart from gaining confidence everybody else (except Jamie) becomes more of what they were already, she changes. 
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

So funny. I can't even imagine being disappointed by not having Sansa featured. On par with wanting more Bran chapters.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on May 21, 2014, 01:05:40 PM
Sansa goes into a state of denial after Ned gets executed, so she interacts with others less and so is less interesting.  Like you, I think that this is okay and natural.

I'll say that's fair but that what's natural isn't necessarily interesting.* It might be very natural for a depressed person to set around at home doing very little but that won't translate easily into an interesting story unless you "fake" it a bit.

*not that you were at all saying that, just that my dislike wasn't from it being impossible to understand.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Viking

Quote from: garbon on May 21, 2014, 01:59:13 PM

So funny. I can't even imagine being disappointed by not having Sansa featured. On par with wanting more Bran chapters.

I like TV bran better than book bran, but, I agree, sansa, bran and arya are all three in a holding pattern waiting for the plot to give them an opportunity to be relevant again.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

Actually I guess I should revise my statement. I don't take issue with Sansa as a character featured - I just don't care all that much for her POV.

Lamentably, I can't say much with regards to perception on show (other than first season) as I put a pause on my viewership long ago when Danerys was doing fuck all.

Valmy

What can I say?  I like stories of the 'every man' (or little girl or whatever) in extra-ordinary circumstances.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on May 21, 2014, 02:07:03 PM

What can I say?  I like stories of the 'every man' (or little girl or whatever) in extra-ordinary circumstances.

She is a Princess who caused her father to be killed.  Not much of an every girl story there.

garbon

Whereas while I don't dislike the every man character - I'm not that interested in reading what a child, acting like an actual child, has to think about situations.

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on May 21, 2014, 02:06:32 PM
Actually I guess I should revise my statement. I don't take issue with Sansa as a character featured - I just don't care all that much for her POV.

This I can quite agree with.  Bran (as you note) as well.  For that matter, I could have done without Samwell Tarley and at least 80% of Theon Greyjoy.  More Barristan Selmy instead of Danaerys would work, as well.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on May 21, 2014, 02:08:55 PM

Whereas while I don't dislike the every man character - I'm not that interested in reading what a child, acting like an actual child, has to think about situations.

Yeah, the interesting thing about everyday people in extra ordinary situations is that they tend to rise to the occasion.  Sansa mainly just sulks along because the world isnt as she thought it was, or should be, for a Princess.  That is what makes her story line painfully boring for me.

She might break out of that mold in the next book.