News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: KRonn on May 21, 2014, 12:19:16 PM
Even in the books Sansa is a weak character, so naive.

I am sure in that situation you would have ripped out your twin machine guns and kicked ass like a boss.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Sansa is a great character, but people prefer little-girls-turned-ninja-wizards and obese-guys-who-magically-stay-obese-after-months-of-hunger-and-cold, so whatchagonnado.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on May 21, 2014, 12:22:49 PM
Sansa is a great character, but people prefer little-girls-turned-ninja-wizards and obese-guys-who-magically-stay-obese-after-months-of-hunger-and-cold, so whatchagonnado.

I mean if we want to read about helpless characters, we can just chat with some of the members of the forum.

I don't like Sansa in the books because she didn't seem to have a lot of growth for a long time. She kept to childlike naivete time and time again.  Meanwhile her next of kin (Arya) became a warrior woman in a few seconds flat.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on May 21, 2014, 12:25:07 PM
I don't like Sansa in the books because she didn't seem to have a lot of growth for a long time. She kept to childlike naivete time and time again.  Meanwhile her next of kin (Arya) became a warrior woman in a few seconds flat.

I don't know the stakes kept being raised.  One guy whose life you saved wanting to help you doesn't seem too far fetched. 

In any case I started to get really pumped in AFFC because it seemed like she was growing and learning...and then nothing in the last book.  Damn it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 21, 2014, 12:10:21 PM
Any minute Sansa is on the screen is wasted minute. Less is more.

We've spent too much time dealing with Dany in season 1 when it was boring. The show runners learned their lesson.

I agree.  What happens around her and the interaction she has with the main characters (ie how she is manipulated) is the interesting part.  We lose a lot of that with Balish in the current season.  So I dont disgree with GF but I do think the show could have made the plot lines involving her both more accurate and more interesting.

Ed Anger

I mean if we want to read about helpless characters, we can just chat with some of the members of the forum.

OH SNAP
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 21, 2014, 12:40:01 PM

OH SNAP

I thought about naming names but then thought about the impact that might have on my karma. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Wait, you worry about karma?

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 21, 2014, 12:43:07 PM
Wait, you worry about karma?

Part and parcel of my Indian heritage.

Valmy

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on May 21, 2014, 11:56:07 AM
Yeah, I don't have any issue at all with the what they were trying to accomplish with the scene.

I can imagine there is a blocking note in the initial script there that says <Need scene here to remind everyone what a total badass/douchebag/monster Sandor Clegane is...>.

I just think their execution of said was, well, incredibly terrible.

Like they had their 14 year old intern write it or something. Maybe someone's little brother.

"Oh man, yeah, Clegane is totally badass! Lets have him just chopping dudes up for no apparent reason! It will be so cool! Then Cersei can come strolling through the entrails and shit! Suh-weeeeeet!"

Agree completely.  It was a ham-handed way of handling the issue.  Sometimes, even HBO fucks up.

This was written by Benioff and Weiss, though, so that explains why the producers didn't tell the writer to come up with a better idea!  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

True.  The books are very much dumbed down so that even people who are otnay ootay ightbray can follow the complex story.  TV is more subtle and has no time or wasted motion, so you have to be a bit quicker to catch all of the nuances.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

:lol:

Passive aggressiveness for the win.