News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

I guess they were criminals (probably wrongfully convicted) who he wanted to have a bit of fun executing
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

As Grumbler would say...they were trying to show that he's one big MOFO in a visual way, without going through 110 pages of exposition
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Berkut

Quote from: Josephus on May 20, 2014, 10:06:06 PM
As Grumbler would say...they were trying to show that he's one big MOFO in a visual way, without going through 110 pages of exposition

I pretty mcuh agree with grumblers assessment when it comes to the different manner in which the TV medium tries to tell the same story in a different manner, actually.

But in this case, it is just kind of ridiculous. There are all kinds of visual manners in which you can tell the story the Sandor Clegane is a ridiculously huge, powerful, and incredilbe straight up fighter without having him hang out butchering hapless non-fighters for sheer sport that simply doesn't really make any sense.

Who are these people? Why are they all rounded up and being thrown at the Mountain? In Kings Landing, where Tywin Lannister is in charge? This is how they execute criminals? They don't have an executioner apparently anymore, they just throw them in some sandy area, give them weapons, and then make them try to fight Sandor Clegane? *After* Joffrey is dead this is how it works?

It just doesn't make any sense on so many levels.

Hell, even if you assume all this is normal - this is where Cersei decides to go chat with him about being her Champion in the trial by combat? The Queen regent doesn't simply summon him for a chat, she goes and wades into this charnel house, where desperate men are being given weapons to fight to the death against the Mountain for some reason?

The entire scene is just a bit ridiculous.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on May 20, 2014, 10:52:24 PM
I pretty mcuh agree with grumblers assessment when it comes to the different manner in which the TV medium tries to tell the same story in a different manner, actually.

But in this case, it is just kind of ridiculous. There are all kinds of visual manners in which you can tell the story the Sandor Clegane is a ridiculously huge, powerful, and incredilbe straight up fighter without having him hang out butchering hapless non-fighters for sheer sport that simply doesn't really make any sense.

Who are these people? Why are they all rounded up and being thrown at the Mountain? In Kings Landing, where Tywin Lannister is in charge? This is how they execute criminals? They don't have an executioner apparently anymore, they just throw them in some sandy area, give them weapons, and then make them try to fight Sandor Clegane? *After* Joffrey is dead this is how it works?

It just doesn't make any sense on so many levels.

Hell, even if you assume all this is normal - this is where Cersei decides to go chat with him about being her Champion in the trial by combat? The Queen regent doesn't simply summon him for a chat, she goes and wades into this charnel house, where desperate men are being given weapons to fight to the death against the Mountain for some reason?

The entire scene is just a bit ridiculous.

Absolutely agree.  The whole scene was unnecessary and silly.  The only excuse I can think of for the producers is that the audience hasn't seen Clegane since the second season (and even then he was acted by a different actor), so wanted some means of introducing him to the audience that was more dramatic than simply ushering him into the queen's presence and saying "Gregor Clegane, your Grace."   They should have stayed with simple, and used the extra time to show people sitting around speculating on "who killed Joffrey?," in order to please the simple-minded.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Grey Fox

It was a weird scene.

The Night's Watch needed those prisoners.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

KRonn

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 21, 2014, 07:22:57 AM
It was a weird scene.

The Night's Watch needed those prisoners.

Indeed it was a weird scene. I got a kick out of Cersei going there so casually but still found it odd overall. But as mentioned, it was probably a way to quickly re-introduce Clegane to the audience.

Grey Fox

Oh yeah. We needed it. Last time we saw him was in season 2 and we're already on the 3rd actor playing the Mountain.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on May 20, 2014, 04:47:03 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 20, 2014, 04:08:39 PM
Where he is.  :)

The book does a better job of explaining all of this.   Sansa is supposed to be pretending to be someone else so as to avoid detection.
So, they should have spend time filming their travel, having Sansa posing as someone else all the while, and Littlefinger telling a few dozen people he travels with his niece?
Exactly what would be the point of showing that on tv?  Sansa has been told she must not reveal who she really is outside of her aunt&cousin.

You have a point.  Given that they have dumbed down that part so much that there isnt anybody around to interact with it that series of events becomes fairly bland and not much effort was devoted to the story in that regard.

Grey Fox

It's ok tho because that would have been even more boring than the already boring part when Sansa is present.

grumbler

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 21, 2014, 08:47:55 AM
Oh yeah. We needed it. Last time we saw him was in season 2 and we're already on the 3rd actor playing the Mountain.
In the books, we were much more exposed to The Mountain's bestial nature, what with he and his gang committing much more explicitly horrific crimes in the Riverlands than they could show on TV.  When you see what is about to happen to him, you will understand why the producers want him to be as unsympathetic as possible.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on May 21, 2014, 11:39:38 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 21, 2014, 08:47:55 AM
In the books, we were much more exposed to The Mountain's bestial nature, what with he and his gang committing much more explicitly horrific crimes in the Riverlands than they could show on TV.  When you see what is about to happen to him, you will understand why the producers want him to be as unsympathetic as possible.

Yeah, I don't have any issue at all with the what they were trying to accomplish with the scene.

I can imagine there is a blocking note in the initial script there that says <Need scene here to remind everyone what a total badass/douchebag/monster Sandor Clegane is...>.

I just think their execution of said was, well, incredibly terrible.

Like they had their 14 year old intern write it or something. Maybe someone's little brother.

"Oh man, yeah, Clegane is totally badass! Lets have him just chopping dudes up for no apparent reason! It will be so cool! Then Cersei can come strolling through the entrails and shit! Suh-weeeeeet!"
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 21, 2014, 11:26:53 AM
It's ok tho because that would have been even more boring than the already boring part when Sansa is present.

I dont know.  They could have presented the actual plot fairly quickly and in keeping with Littlefinger's character.  It would be very easy to have a couple of scenes which include the Ministral, have Sansa perform her charade and pin all the blame on the murder on the Minstral.

Also the viewer completely misses Littlefinger's attempts to change Sansa's personality for his own purposes.

For those who like a direct uncomplicated story the show does that very well.

Grey Fox

Any minute Sansa is on the screen is wasted minute. Less is more.

We've spent too much time dealing with Dany in season 1 when it was boring. The show runners learned their lesson.

Valmy

Man I love Sansa I have been dying waiting for a freaking new Sansa chapter for almost a decade now.  She is the closest thing to a normal person in this series.

But I guess that is not exactly riveting TV.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

KRonn

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 21, 2014, 12:10:21 PM
Any minute Sansa is on the screen is wasted minute. Less is more.

We've spent too much time dealing with Dany in season 1 when it was boring. The show runners learned their lesson.

Even in the books Sansa is a weak character, so naive.