News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on May 20, 2014, 02:16:27 PM
The key to Littlefinger's success and survival is that, as he notes, he doesn't appear to have a motive for killing Jon and setting up Eddard to be executed.  If the murder of Lysa went down as in the books, that key could be lost.

:lol:

No one will ever suspect him now.  :lol:

Eddie Teach

I'm a bit unclear how nobody noticed he went missing right after Joffrey's assassination.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 20, 2014, 03:56:15 PM
I'm a bit unclear how nobody noticed he went missing right after Joffrey's assassination.  :hmm:

He didnt.  He had left well before the wedding.

Eddie Teach

Ah, ok. Where do the Lannisters think he went?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 20, 2014, 04:07:47 PM

Where he is.  :)

The book does a better job of explaining all of this.   Sansa is supposed to be pretending to be someone else so as to avoid detection.  I can understand why a viewer of the show would be confused about what is going on and why the Lannisters wouldnt be able to put 2 and 2 together to such an obvious plot.  The answer is the plot isnt supposed to be so obvious.  The book spends a fair amount of time going through the potential suspects to Joffrey's murder.  The show just blurts out the answer.

This season has been a huge disappointment.

Liep

Wasn't it them who sent him to wiggle in at the Eyrie?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josephus

Quote from: The Larch on May 20, 2014, 03:27:15 PM
Quote from: Josephus on May 20, 2014, 02:45:04 PM
The bard has a name you know....Marillion!

Anyway...It seems like the Eyrie as well as the Brienne/Podrick thing are from book 4...the rest is still book 3 stuff. I think. I'm only 3/4ths way through book 4

The Eyrie until now was book 3, from now on it'll be book 4, IIRC.

Right. Book 4 has Marillion keeping the boy awake at nights.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

viper37

Quote from: The Larch on May 20, 2014, 09:47:06 AM
Lysa admitted it too in the novels, but only before LF kicked her down the hole.
I hope she told him before he kicked her down the hole.  I doubt she would admit if after!
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

Quote from: Liep on May 20, 2014, 04:09:33 PM

Wasn't it them who sent him to wiggle in at the Eyrie?

Yes, precisely.  The Lannisters think that Littlefinger is their guy.  They made him lord of Harenhal and they have sent him to neutralize any potential threat that the Eyrie might pose.  If he took a female companion or two as his "nieces," who could possibly be surprised?

People who don't understand the difference between books and visual media tend to think that visual media can spend time on empty exposition like books do, but that's not how it works.  When you are converting 7,000 or so pages of text to 3500 minutes or so of video, you can't just have people standing around talking about who they think killed Joffrey - even for those who are otnay ootay ightbra and think deleting such exposition is just "dumbing down" the story.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 20, 2014, 04:08:39 PM

The book does a better job of explaining all of this.   Sansa is supposed to be pretending to be someone else so as to avoid detection.  I can understand why a viewer of the show would be confused about what is going on and why the Lannisters wouldnt be able to put 2 and 2 together to such an obvious plot.  The answer is the plot isnt supposed to be so obvious.  The book spends a fair amount of time going through the potential suspects to Joffrey's murder.  The show just blurts out the answer.

This season has been a huge disappointment.
They don't lose anytime in the books, Cersei screams that Tyrion is the killer, he is arrested, jailed, and put on a mockery of a trial.
They also search for his wife who has dissapeared, so they assume she was part of it.
There really isn't much difference between the books and the tv show on this, save for the necklace instead of the hair piece (ah, the tragedy! they changed that!  The show is all ruined now, nothing will work anymore!)

From the Wiki:
During his wedding feast in the throne room, Joffrey's wine is poisoned and he dies on the first day of the 3rd Century since Aegon's Landing while the entire court looks on, his face turning black as he asphyxiates while tearing at his throat.[2] Cersei blames the deed on Tyrion and Sansa, but it is later revealed that the plot was orchestrated by Olenna Redwyne and Petyr Baelish. Joffrey is laid in state in the castle sept in gilded armor, and when Jaime returns to King's Landing he makes love to Cersei in front of the corpse.[21] He is ultimately laid to rest in the Great Sept of Baelor.[22] Due to the color of the amethysts used to poison Joffrey's wine, and the actual color of the wine, the wedding has since been referred to by fans as the Purple Wedding.

Joffrey, with the exception of his mother, is not particularly mourned by anyone; even his biological father, Jaime Lannister, feels that Joffrey deserved his fate. Tyrion Lannister states that Joffrey would have become a worse king than the Mad King. Arys Oakheart thinks the only good thing that could be said of Joffrey is that he was tall and strong for his age.
Not so much differences here.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Larch

Quote from: viper37 on May 20, 2014, 04:35:16 PM
Quote from: The Larch on May 20, 2014, 09:47:06 AM
Lysa admitted it too in the novels, but only before LF kicked her down the hole.
I hope she told him before he kicked her down the hole.  I doubt she would admit if after!

I mean right before being kicked down. :P

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 20, 2014, 04:08:39 PM

The book does a better job of explaining all of this.   Sansa is supposed to be pretending to be someone else so as to avoid detection.
So, they should have spend time filming their travel, having Sansa posing as someone else all the while, and Littlefinger telling a few dozen people he travels with his niece?
Exactly what would be the point of showing that on tv?  Sansa has been told she must not reveal who she really is outside of her aunt&cousin.

Berkut

The only thing I didn't like about the show this week was Clegane just hanging out randomly killing people. In Kings Landing.

Because that is apparently what he does when he isn't off aping and pillaging. He just goes down somewhere, some of his guards apparently round up some random people, and he kills them with his giant sword in as messy a manner as possible.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned