News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

I haven't read the books but I know Tyrion isn't dead.

I do wonder how he is going to survive this.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Viking

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 20, 2014, 07:38:56 AM
I haven't read the books but I know Tyrion isn't dead.

I do wonder how he is going to survive this.

Without really spoiling anything, it involves looking for whores, nearly getting eaten by lions, being sold into slavery, short range crossbow marksmanship, getting hideously drunk, getting abducted at a whore house and, rather bizarrely making a friend who likes him for who he is not what he is. 

Edit: apart from spoiling the fact that he survives, obviously...
Edit2: or I'm pulling your leg.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Grey Fox

I've read some wikis & some free chapters.

I'm just unsure how he survives his trial by combat.

Admiral Yi

How did he survive his first one?

Grey Fox

KRonn

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 20, 2014, 08:32:30 AM

In the last episode the guy from Dorne, Oberyn Martell, offered to fight The Mountain as Tyrion's champion.

Josquius

I'm wondering about with the stuff in the Eyrie....Am I totally misremembering the books or is everything much more explicit here? I can't remember a kiss and Lysa outright admitting to killing her husband (though it was pretty much said IIRC).
The TV show seems to be going very quickly in the Eyrie. It has almost caught up with the books there.
And...have we seen anyone else in the Eyrie yet? It always seems to be just Lysa, Robin, Sansa and Littlefinger, alone in the big halls :lol:
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Lysa admitted it too in the novels, but only before LF kicked her down the hole.

Viking

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 20, 2014, 08:32:30 AM

Didn't you see? The Red Viper is going to kill the Mountain... sorry fight the Mountain.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Queequeg on May 19, 2014, 04:10:23 PM
Littlefinger killing his wife is my favorite moment in the entire series and they fucked it up by not having the bard there.

Agreed.  Very disappointing and another example of the show getting dumbed down.  Littlefinger's elaborate plot to off his wife and assume control was dumbed down to merely pushing her down the hole.  While it had some resemblance to the plot in the book - ie it ended with the woman's death we miss what made the books (up to this point) great.

Also the viewer begins to lose touch with the Littlefinger of the books who was far too smart not to stage things so that someone else could be blamed for the death.   

I agree with Kronn's assessment of the scenes with Arya and the Hound though.  I also liked the scene between the Imp and the Prince. Those scenes saved the episode from being a complete failure.

grumbler

Quote from: Tyr on May 20, 2014, 09:20:24 AM
I'm wondering about with the stuff in the Eyrie....Am I totally misremembering the books or is everything much more explicit here? I can't remember a kiss and Lysa outright admitting to killing her husband (though it was pretty much said IIRC).
The TV show seems to be going very quickly in the Eyrie. It has almost caught up with the books there.
And...have we seen anyone else in the Eyrie yet? It always seems to be just Lysa, Robin, Sansa and Littlefinger, alone in the big halls :lol:
Yes, things are moving along there at a right smart clip.  Part of that is because the writing about the Eyrie was so dull and plodding that HBO couldn't do that on TV and survive,the other part is that they are telling a complex story in about 3500 minutes, and the Eyrie part is such a tiny portion of the whole that they can't afford to dick around.  We are already in the second half of the whole series.

The lack of extras for the Eyrie is probably much along the same lines; with only X dollars to spend costuming extras, better to save the extras for the cities than show them in the isolated mountain hideaways.  Their absence there is probably more striking than the producers anticipated.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Thinking about it, it seems to me that the show has smartened up the story about Lysa's death.  In the books, Lysa's conversation with Littlefinger about how she always loved him, killed Jon Arryn, and betrayed her sister all take place in the hearing of the her bard.  That would represent a huge problem for Littlefinger, even though he planned to frame the bard, because the bard could tell anyone and, even if not believed, would at least have told a story worth the re-telling.  The key to Littlefinger's success and survival is that, as he notes, he doesn't appear to have a motive for killing Jon and setting up Eddard to be executed.  If the murder of Lysa went down as in the books, that key could be lost.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josephus

The bard has a name you know....Marillion!

Anyway...It seems like the Eyrie as well as the Brienne/Podrick thing are from book 4...the rest is still book 3 stuff. I think. I'm only 3/4ths way through book 4

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

Prep yourself for a totally lame-o ending Jo Jo.

The Larch

Quote from: Josephus on May 20, 2014, 02:45:04 PM
The bard has a name you know....Marillion!

Anyway...It seems like the Eyrie as well as the Brienne/Podrick thing are from book 4...the rest is still book 3 stuff. I think. I'm only 3/4ths way through book 4

The Eyrie until now was book 3, from now on it'll be book 4, IIRC.