News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

My favorite part of that whole episode was Arya and The Hound.

Arya- "Someday I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull."

The look on The Hounds face was priceless.

:lol:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Josephus

Just dawned on me there was narry a boob nor a muff,and it was still a damn fine episode.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Brain

Quote from: Viking on June 04, 2013, 10:48:04 AM
I've been advising people to watch one season, then read the book for that season between the seasons, then watch a second season and then read the second book.

People pay you for this advice?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Quote from: Berkut on June 04, 2013, 10:46:28 AM
I am kind of torn about whether to recommend to someone to read the book or watch the series first.

Normally, I would almost always recommend reading the book first, but some of the "reveals" in GoT are so good on screen, I don't know if they have the same impact reading them, and those reveals alone might be worth watching the show first.

Play the computer game first.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on June 04, 2013, 03:51:32 PM
Quote from: Viking on June 04, 2013, 10:48:04 AM
I've been advising people to watch one season, then read the book for that season between the seasons, then watch a second season and then read the second book.

People pay you for this advice?

:blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Both the board game and card game are pretty good. Well, one of the board games, haven't played them all.

The Brain

Haven't played the RPG, just looked at it.

Jacob

Quote from: The Brain on June 04, 2013, 03:55:35 PM

It's reasonably solid.

The Larch

Quote from: Jacob on June 04, 2013, 05:19:11 PM
Quote from: The Brain on June 04, 2013, 03:55:35 PM

It's reasonably solid.

Which of the two versions? I loved the first one, particulary the combat system, which made for some agonizing (but very enjoyable nonetheless) sessions.

Scipio

The board game is great.  I can't recommend the RPGs, but I love the board game with the first two expansions.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Habbaku

The boardgame is someone's retarded Diplomacy variant.  It's awful.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Siege

What games are you guys talking about?
Computer games or tabletop games?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".