And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 03, 2013, 06:55:23 PM
Quote from: Siege on June 03, 2013, 06:51:10 PM
Only because you already read the books so all these facial expressions had meaning for you.

Uh, they were pretty clear expressions and easily understood just from what had already happened on the show.

You need to have empathy to understand people's expressions. Siegy is a psychopath so he doesn't get it.

Razgovory

He really doesn't fit the criteria for that.  It would be hard to diagnose that sort of thing by reading someone's posts.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Maybe he just wasn't paying attention.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

Quote from: Martinus on June 04, 2013, 12:18:28 AM
Quote from: Josephus on June 03, 2013, 04:24:26 PM
Season One ended on a downer.

The fuck it didn't. It ended with "King in the North", the Night's Watch expedition setting off and, most importantly of all, the birth of dragons, probably the most uplifting/elating scene in the entire show.

Right. For some reason I thought the beheading was the finale, but yeah, it wasn't.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Martinus

Quote from: Josephus on June 04, 2013, 07:28:02 AM

The fuck it didn't. It ended with "King in the North", the Night's Watch expedition setting off and, most importantly of all, the birth of dragons, probably the most uplifting/elating scene in the entire show.

Right. For some reason I thought the beheading was the finale, but yeah, it wasn't.

It's always like this. Episode 9 of every season is the "shit hits the fan episode". Ned gets beheaded. Stannis gets obliterated at Black Water. Red Wedding happens.

Episode 10, the finale, always sets up more cliffhangers and gives the viewers hope in a reversal of fate. I predict this one will show Berric Dondarrion finding something in the river.

Grey Fox

That quickly? Yes, it could happen. Hopefully viewers will put 2 & 2 together.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Viking

Quote from: Martinus on June 04, 2013, 07:31:16 AM
Quote from: Josephus on June 04, 2013, 07:28:02 AM

It's always like this. Episode 9 of every season is the "shit hits the fan episode". Ned gets beheaded. Stannis gets obliterated at Black Water. Red Wedding happens.

Episode 10, the finale, always sets up more cliffhangers and gives the viewers hope in a reversal of fate. I predict this one will show Berric Dondarrion finding something in the river.

Nymeria finds [spoiler]her[/spoiler], not Berric.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Viking

Quote from: Neil on June 04, 2013, 08:07:17 AM
They both do.

Nymeria finds [spoiler]stoneheart[/spoiler] and keeps the wolves from eating, the commotion alerts the BWB which then scatters the wolves to see the [spoiler]body[/spoiler].

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Viking

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on June 04, 2013, 12:20:02 AM
You need to have empathy to understand people's expressions. Siegy is a psychopath so he doesn't get it.

Oh you're just bursting with empathy, aren't you?  :rolleyes:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

I am kind of torn about whether to recommend to someone to read the book or watch the series first.

Normally, I would almost always recommend reading the book first, but some of the "reveals" in GoT are so good on screen, I don't know if they have the same impact reading them, and those reveals alone might be worth watching the show first.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Viking

I've been advising people to watch one season, then read the book for that season between the seasons, then watch a second season and then read the second book.