News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Siege on April 30, 2013, 05:44:29 AM
In the book, I thought Tyrion's reluctance to bed Sansa was out of character.
It is much more so in the TV show.

I disagree, he's a much nicer person in the TV show than he is in the books.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Grinning_Colossus

He drinks and fucks because he's depressed, not because he's a lout. He's been protective of Sansa in the past and doesn't want to violate her. She's also about the same age that Tysha was.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Martinus

Siegy doesn't understand Western culture - film at 11.

Viking

It is not out of character. He fucks whores because he can pay them to make him believe that they really like him. His most formative moment is when he found out that a girl who he thought he liked him for who he was was a paid whore. His internal monologue about his relationship with Shae is about him hoping she likes him for who he is and worrying that she doesn't. Sansa clearly does not want him. Sansa is clearly disgusted by him. Sansa makes it clear without a doubt that everybody sees him as a deformed monster. He can't pretend he is normal and handsome with her. That is why he doesn't want to bed her. He doesn't spare her for her sake, he spares her for his own sake.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Berkut

I think Tyrion is basically a pretty empathetic person. He is treated like shit pretty rgularly by others, and he doesn't like it, so he makes a pretty concerted effort to not treat others like shit, especially those who are vulnerable, like himself.

Sansa Stark is a victim in his eyes. He is not the type to force himself on anyone, he never has in the books or the show. It would be grossly out of character for him to rape Sansa.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 30, 2013, 05:53:21 AM

I disagree with you both. Tyrion's treatment of Sansa was completely in character, which is essentially the same in tv and books.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Berkut

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 30, 2013, 06:53:38 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 30, 2013, 05:53:21 AM

I disagree with you both. Tyrion's treatment of Sansa was completely in character, which is essentially the same in tv and books.

Indeed. It is kind of obvious really - Martin's only really human characters, those who are clearly "good" are all flawed in some rather obvious manner.

Jon Snow is a bastard
Tyrion is a dwarf
Daenyrs is just a mess in general
Bran is a cripple

The over-riding theme in GoT is the corrupting influence of power. Tyrion has been corrupted not by his own power, but by the power others have over him - primarily his father. How he responds to power himself, when he almost reluctantly (at first) comes to it, then begins to embrace it, and finally loses it all again is what makes his basically decent humanity interesting in contrast to those who simply take power for granted.

I think the most interesting contrast is not even between Cersei and Tyrion (after all, Cersei is almost a completely predictable character), but between Tyrion and Baelish. Baelish is the arch-type for Martin's "true" power figure. His power is completely based on his own accomplishment - he had no real help from his name of family. And how HE handles that power compared to Tyrion is telling. He would not rape Sansa either - but not because he cares about her per se, but because he realizes that physical domination is a trivial kind of power, and the power he needs is more complete than that that can be provided simply by physical control.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Josephus

In the end, don't forget that Tyrion is what people in Westeros say he is. He fucks whores and drink himself to sleep every night.

I don't know. He always had a soft spot for Sansa, for whatever reason.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grallon

I wonder if the hot stud who swept my lovely Loras off his feet was an actual whore in one of Bailish' brothels or a simple man servant?  A really fine piece of ass though.  :licklips:

So was, suprisingly, Brienne's.  As far as attraction between her and Jamie - I think it's more a case of a growing 'brothers-at-arms' sentiment than any actual sexual/emotional attraction.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 29, 2013, 02:20:24 PM
In the books do the gigantic butch chick and Jaime ever make the two backed beast?
it's about as it is in the series.  They begin to respect themselves, they come closer, but nothing more.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Martinus

Hot gay sex aside, I'm kinda disappointed with the character assassination of Loras.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Martinus on April 30, 2013, 05:05:16 PM
Hot gay sex aside, I'm kinda disappointed with the character assassination of Loras.
:lol: Up until last episode, it'd been a non-stop shitting on Stannis.  I'd love to feel pity for your crush, but it isn't happening.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Neil

It's not like the books are any better.  Loras is consistently played as a shallow idiot playing at knighthood.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

viper37

In the end, don't forget that Tyrion is what people in Westeros say he is. He fucks whores and drink himself to sleep every night.
What's wrong with that?

Anyway.  Tyrion is highly intelligent, probably nearly as much as his father, but without the cruelty.  There's still a bit of naiveté to him.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on April 30, 2013, 06:57:32 PM
It's not like the books are any better.  Loras is consistently played as a shallow idiot playing at knighthood.

Yeah, as much Marty loves Loras and Renly they are both depicted as stereotypically vain and frivolous gays.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017