And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Josephus on April 08, 2013, 01:55:34 PM
No boobs in the last episode.

I think lack of Alfie Allen's full frontal (despite an apt opportunity) was criminal.

QuoteIn an unconnected comment, I'm noticing the "children" have really grown up since last year. Arya seems to be a foot taller as does Bran, whom I don't think Hodor will be carrying around much anymore. Sansa is blossoming nicely. I thought her bit with Olenna was the best part of the last episoe.

I loved it too, although I missed the "bear" song - or was it sung on another occasion? I read the books 10 years ago or so.

The Larch

Quote from: Martinus on April 08, 2013, 01:55:40 PM
Quote from: The Larch on April 08, 2013, 12:49:45 PM
Quote from: Martinus on April 08, 2013, 12:07:23 PM
So, no comments yet after the last night's ep?  :huh:

You can do that yourself too, you know.  :P

Really liked it myself, maybe more than the first one. Lady Olenna seems like she'll be a hoot to watch, and the guy that plays Thoros looks very promising.

I liked it less than the first one, I guess, but it could be also because I was so GoT-starved last week.

Really liked all the new characters introduced, though, from the Reeds, to Queen of Thorns, to Ramsay (poor Theon!), to Thoros.

No Danny though. :( I still fail to be at all excited or engaged by Jon Snow plot, too.

It seems to me that we're going to get "Reek" much sooner than in the books...

Martinus

Probably. Which makes sense, as otherwise they would need to keep Alfie Allen out of the production for a season or two.

Btw, I have not yet read Dance with Dragons. Will my BDSM proclivities be: satisfied?  :ph34r:

The Larch

Quote from: Martinus on April 08, 2013, 02:34:26 PMBtw, I have not yet read Dance with Dragons. Will my BDSM proclivities be: satisfied?  :ph34r:

It's more Saw than 50 shades of Grey.

Habbaku

Quote from: The Larch on April 08, 2013, 02:29:10 PM
Quote from: Martinus on April 08, 2013, 01:55:40 PM
Quote from: The Larch on April 08, 2013, 12:49:45 PM
Quote from: Martinus on April 08, 2013, 12:07:23 PM
So, no comments yet after the last night's ep?  :huh:

You can do that yourself too, you know.  :P

Really liked it myself, maybe more than the first one. Lady Olenna seems like she'll be a hoot to watch, and the guy that plays Thoros looks very promising.

I liked it less than the first one, I guess, but it could be also because I was so GoT-starved last week.

Really liked all the new characters introduced, though, from the Reeds, to Queen of Thorns, to Ramsay (poor Theon!), to Thoros.

No Danny though. :( I still fail to be at all excited or engaged by Jon Snow plot, too.

It seems to me that we're going to get "Reek" much sooner than in the books...

I think it means, instead, that we'll actually see the transition to Reek rather than a huge space of time (books 3-4) in which we don't see Theon at all but only hear mention of him.  The Theon stuff doesn't seem like it will use up much time and it will keep the character in the loop for when he becomes important again in season 5.  Thus far, his added scenes (and the extras with Margaery) have been excellent additions, I think.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on April 08, 2013, 01:57:49 PM
I think lack of Alfie Allen's full frontal (despite an apt opportunity) was criminal.

I think you mean - merciful. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

The books become so disjointed and poorly written that I am willing to excuse creative writing to cover the flaws.

Solmyr

Once is enough.

I loved it too, although I missed the "bear" song - or was it sung on another occasion? I read the books 10 years ago or so.

The bear song wouldn't have worked on TV - in the book you just read about it, on TV you'd be straining to hear the conversation over the song, if it was anything like in the book.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on April 04, 2013, 10:12:56 AM

There were clear advantages to converting in this case though:  While the Andal gods are powerless figments of imagination, the demon R'hlor is probably real and his adherents certainly have sorcery that is unavailable to the other claimants.  The Lannisters and Starks both enjoyed fanatical support in large areas of Westeros, and even Renly enjoyed broad, if rather shallow support.  Stannis lacked these advantages, so he took to magic.

How did the Gods of the Andals become some popular? When the religion originally spread there was plenty of magic. You would think that a religion without any wouldn't catch on. It doesn't really make sense.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Maximus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 08, 2013, 05:04:45 PM
How did the Gods of the Andals become some popular? When the religion originally spread there was plenty of magic. You would think that a religion without any wouldn't catch on. It doesn't really make sense.
There's an argument(which is not mine) that it was in its origins a fanatically anti-magic faith. That may have been the source of its popularity.

The Larch

The Old Gods aren't particulary magical. It's not as if the first men were launching fireballs left and right.

jimmy olsen

Warging seems pretty magical and connected to the Old Gods.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Larch

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 08, 2013, 06:01:46 PM
Warging seems pretty magical and connected to the Old Gods.

They are definitely related to the pre-Andal world, but not necessariliy to the Old Gods. The relationships between Old Gods, First Men and Children of the Forest are pretty vague in that sense, and while the Children of the Forest are definitely a magical/fantastical race, the First Men were not, so magic use by them, even if it could have taken place, would not have been a game changer in their conflict with the Andals.

Queequeg

The Sandals had iron and more sophisticated cavalry. I think that's likely more useful than ability to become a hawk.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.