News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Viking on April 04, 2013, 09:44:04 AM
Did you understand my initial point as I intended it or as he misrepresents it?

As you intended it.  But you can't take for granted that your entire audience will have Yi-like powers of discernment and perception.

Martinus

Quote from: Neil on April 03, 2013, 08:26:58 AM
Quote from: Martinus on April 03, 2013, 12:20:30 AM
And Stannis is burning loyal men who just wanted him to get his crazy witch to stop destroying their holy statues and sending their sons into insane battles.

History is written by victors. If Stannis loses, it is really hard to see him depicted as anything else than a mad tyrant who blasphemes against the gods of old.
He's not burning religious opponents though.  He didn't burn Davos.  Of course history will frown on losers.  That's what happens to losers.

The worship of Seven Andal Gods is status quo ante - anyone who tries to upset that is causing social upheaval - you of all people should be able to understand this.

Besides, my personal view of people who convert from one religion to another is that they are scum - I can understand losing one's religion and going atheist, I can understand keeping one's faith for cultural and social reasons, but anyone who deliberately and conciously abandons one's own culture only to accept an equally delusional set of beliefs of another culture is a dangerous madman.

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on April 04, 2013, 09:47:01 AM
Quote from: Neil on April 03, 2013, 08:26:58 AM
Quote from: Martinus on April 03, 2013, 12:20:30 AM
And Stannis is burning loyal men who just wanted him to get his crazy witch to stop destroying their holy statues and sending their sons into insane battles.

History is written by victors. If Stannis loses, it is really hard to see him depicted as anything else than a mad tyrant who blasphemes against the gods of old.
He's not burning religious opponents though.  He didn't burn Davos.  Of course history will frown on losers.  That's what happens to losers.
The worship of Seven Andal Gods is status quo ante - anyone who tries to upset that is causing social upheaval - you of all people should be able to understand this.

Besides, my personal view of people who convert from one religion to another is that they are scum - I can understand losing one's religion and going atheist, I can understand keeping one's faith for cultural and social reasons, but anyone who deliberately and conciously abandons one's own culture only to accept an equally delusional set of beliefs of another culture is a dangerous madman.
There were clear advantages to converting in this case though:  While the Andal gods are powerless figments of imagination, the demon R'hlor is probably real and his adherents certainly have sorcery that is unavailable to the other claimants.  The Lannisters and Starks both enjoyed fanatical support in large areas of Westeros, and even Renly enjoyed broad, if rather shallow support.  Stannis lacked these advantages, so he took to magic.

Besides, do you think Stannis' change in religion is causing more or less upheaval than the wars raging across central Westeros?  Or Cercei's bungling with the Church Militant, for that matter?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on April 04, 2013, 09:47:01 AM

Have you forgotten the scene where your boy was killed by a shadow beast?  :huh:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Viking

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 04, 2013, 09:46:50 AM

As you intended it.  But you can't take for granted that your entire audience will have Yi-like powers of discernment and perception.

Then I propose that garbon is intentionally quarreling semantics simply because he disagrees "against" me on principle.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Martinus

By the way, did anyone mind Loras being all smiles during the dinner with Cersei? I remember from the books that he was much more moping/drama-ish after Renly's death.

Tamas

Quote from: Martinus on April 04, 2013, 11:08:16 AM
By the way, did anyone mind Loras being all smiles during the dinner with Cersei? I remember from the books that he was much more moping/drama-ish after Renly's death.

it wasnt like an intimiate family gathering.

Viking

Quote from: Martinus on April 04, 2013, 11:08:16 AM

Given that Mace, Garlan and Garth Tyrell aren't cast I'm pretty sure Neil Finn is playing all of them as well.. or at least Loras is filling their role's in the story.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Martinus

So, no comments yet after the last night's ep?  :huh:

The Larch

Quote from: Martinus on April 08, 2013, 12:07:23 PM

You can do that yourself too, you know.  :P

Really liked it myself, maybe more than the first one. Lady Olenna seems like she'll be a hoot to watch, and the guy that plays Thoros looks very promising.

Habbaku

Dennis Pennis as Thoros of Myr.   :lol:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

Quote from: Viking on April 04, 2013, 10:32:54 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 04, 2013, 09:46:50 AM

Then I propose that garbon is intentionally quarreling semantics simply because he disagrees "against" me on principle.

There is some history being written by some losers isn't a particularly compelling or insightful statement.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

No boobs in the last episode.

:D

In an unconnected comment, I'm noticing the "children" have really grown up since last year. Arya seems to be a foot taller as does Bran, whom I don't think Hodor will be carrying around much anymore. Sansa is blossoming nicely. I thought her bit with Olenna was the best part of the last episode.

Oh, and I guess they're intentionally not making the popular Tyrion as disfigured as he seems to be in the book
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Martinus

Quote from: The Larch on April 08, 2013, 12:49:45 PM
Quote from: Martinus on April 08, 2013, 12:07:23 PM

You can do that yourself too, you know.  :P

Really liked it myself, maybe more than the first one. Lady Olenna seems like she'll be a hoot to watch, and the guy that plays Thoros looks very promising.

I liked it less than the first one, I guess, but it could be also because I was so GoT-starved last week.

Really liked all the new characters introduced, though, from the Reeds, to Queen of Thorns, to Ramsay (poor Theon!), to Thoros.

No Danny though. :( I still fail to be at all excited or engaged by Jon Snow plot, too.