Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Queequeg on April 01, 2013, 10:28:55 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 01, 2013, 08:34:46 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on April 01, 2013, 05:48:08 PM
You really think Melisandre is "the villain"?
One of them.  She's a monotheist, and those types are always evil.  Her deity has a Cthulhu-esque name.  Her goal is to burn everyone.  She also prolonged the war, which worked against her stated goals.
Yeah, but as a worshiper of a fire deity with actual magical power who can bring back the dead she's probably the best ally the people of Westeros have against the Others.
I get the impression that they're not really the same when they get back.  Dondarion was certainly a ruin of a man.  And is R'hllor isn't any better than The Others.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Queequeg on April 01, 2013, 10:30:04 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 01, 2013, 08:40:04 PM
No kidding.  For an alleged sophisticate, that was an incredibly Tim-esque statement by Spellus.  Honestly, the Fist of the First Men isn't really important, except that it happens.  There are no major characters even involved.
I thought it was one of the more memorable action sequences in the novels.   :huh: The entire retreat is also pretty great.
Great sequences in the books don't necessarily make for good TV.  There just isn't enough time.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Queequeg

Quote from: Neil on April 01, 2013, 10:37:32 PM
I get the impression that they're not really the same when they get back.  Dondarion was certainly a ruin of a man.  And is R'hllor isn't any better than The Others.
I think that's an open question.  I suspect he had some kind of involvement in The Doom, and that ultimately The Others and R'hllor are more ying-yang than Ahura Mazda and Angra Mainyu.  But the fact remains that the ice-men seem to pose a far more imminent threat than any possible fire-men.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Razgovory

One of them.  She's a monotheist, and those types are always evil.  Her deity has a Cthulhu-esque name.  Her goal is to burn everyone.  She also prolonged the war, which worked against her stated goals.
Yeah, but as a worshiper of a fire deity with actual magical power who can bring back the dead she's probably the best ally the people of Westeros have against the Others.   TBH I get the impression that her religion is right about the big stuff , even if her precious Lord of Light isn't nearly as benevolent as Ahura Mazda.

I can't shake the idea of Ahura Mazda being a car company.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on April 01, 2013, 10:50:38 PM
I can't shake the idea of Ahura Mazda being a car company.

Would make a great name for a Mazda dealership.  :D
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Queequeg

Ahura just means light or shining. Call the dealership "Shining Mazda" and make the 1/20,000,000 Zorastrian customer giggle in appreciation.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Martinus

It really amuses me how you can call Stannis a rightful king but call Danny an upstart. She is the rightful queen, Stannis is simply an usurper's brother.

Stannis's morality is completely flexible and abhorrent - it's very ex post facto in its justification of his misdeeds. He will put family over loyalty to the legitimate monarch when it suits him (i.e. supporting Robert's rebellion) and when it suits him he will do the opposite (i.e. "executing" Renly, when Stannis feels himself the legitimate monarch). He is a classic hypocrite.

Martinus

Yeah, but as a worshiper of a fire deity with actual magical power who can bring back the dead she's probably the best ally the people of Westeros have against the Others.   TBH I get the impression that her religion is right about the big stuff , even if her precious Lord of Light isn't nearly as benevolent as Ahura Mazda.

I would say that three dragons are a much better ally than some cunt who can give birth to murderous shadows.

Neil

Rhaegar's line isn't suitable to rule, due to hereditary insanity.

Martinus

Quote from: Neil on April 02, 2013, 12:48:17 AM
Rhaegar's line isn't suitable to rule, due to hereditary insanity.

An ad hoc excuse.

Berkut

Quote from: Martinus on April 02, 2013, 12:29:48 AM
It really amuses me how you can call Stannis a rightful king but call Danny an upstart. She is the rightful queen, Stannis is simply an usurper's brother.

Stannis's morality is completely flexible and abhorrent - it's very ex post facto in its justification of his misdeeds. He will put family over loyalty to the legitimate monarch when it suits him (i.e. supporting Robert's rebellion) and when it suits him he will do the opposite (i.e. "executing" Renly, when Stannis feels himself the legitimate monarch). He is a classic hypocrite.

Supporting his brother is completely standard in the hierarchical medieval pecking order. His older brother is his liege, therefore it is not per se immoral to support him if he rebels (the immorality of that rebellion is born by Robert, not by Roberts vassals). And rebellion is certainly morally justifiable under the proper circumstances.

It is not hypocritical to treat Renly very differently. Renly rebellion is against Stanis, who is Renly's liege lord. So not at all the same. Further, Renly does not have any mitigating circumstance making his rebellion against Stannis justifiable. Renly does not even try to justify it - he just claims he should be king because nobody likes Stannis. I always thought this was a weak point in the story in fact - that so many would support Renly who is clearly NOT under any justifiable reasoning the heir to Robert's throne. Most Lords and such are not going to be swayed by such arguments, or else there would not be so many bad kings and lords. If any king can be put aside simply because some people don't like him, then why not a lord or a baron or a duke or whatever?

There is absolutely NOTHING hypocritical about Stannis actions towards his brother. Indeed, he states his reasoning explicitly - when Robert was the elder brother, Stannis deferred to him, and he expects Renly to do the same now that he is eldest. That is 100% completely consistent.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

jimmy olsen

Robert was his leige lord was he not?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

Quote from: Berkut on April 02, 2013, 12:59:35 AM

Supporting his brother is completely standard in the hierarchical medieval pecking order. His older brother is his liege, therefore it is not per se immoral to support him if he rebels (the immorality of that rebellion is born by Robert, not by Roberts vassals). And rebellion is certainly morally justifiable under the proper circumstances.

It is not hypocritical to treat Renly very differently. Renly rebellion is against Stanis, who is Renly's liege lord. So not at all the same. Further, Renly does not have any mitigating circumstance making his rebellion against Stannis justifiable. Renly does not even try to justify it - he just claims he should be king because nobody likes Stannis. I always thought this was a weak point in the story in fact - that so many would support Renly who is clearly NOT under any justifiable reasoning the heir to Robert's throne. Most Lords and such are not going to be swayed by such arguments, or else there would not be so many bad kings and lords. If any king can be put aside simply because some people don't like him, then why not a lord or a baron or a duke or whatever?

There is absolutely NOTHING hypocritical about Stannis actions towards his brother. Indeed, he states his reasoning explicitly - when Robert was the elder brother, Stannis deferred to him, and he expects Renly to do the same now that he is eldest. That is 100% completely consistent.

Well, the support for Renly comes mainly from his own bannermen (so his vassals) and from the Reach, and we know Tyrells are not sticklers for such things as rightful claims and whatnot.

Stannis was, on the other hand, supported mainly by his own bannermen.

Eddie Teach

So conquering the peoples of the seven kingdoms makes the Targaryens "rightful" rulers, but deposing them and being accepted as king doesn't do so for the Baratheons? :yeahright:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Phillip V