News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

It appears that the people living in towers thing is post-medieval.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Josquius

Quote from: Siege on July 25, 2012, 07:29:55 PM
Example?
I haven't seen castles in Westeros with slopped walls, star-shaped battlements, or with ball trap ditches.
All castles in westeros have high walls with higher towers.
Rounded walls/towers; short, thick, walls; projecting towers/bastions.
Off the top of my head cant think what else.
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Queequeg on July 25, 2012, 05:55:38 PM

TBH, my main problem in the TV series with the fortifications is that they are often pretty terrible.  All of the fortifications around King's Landing were about the size of a ring of the walls of Constantinople, which rather famously had two rings and a pretty large moat.
:rolleyes: One set off walls the size of Constantinoples is way better than almost any other city. Hardly something to fault them on.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Siege

Quote from: Tyr on August 01, 2012, 09:03:18 PM
Quote from: Siege on July 25, 2012, 07:29:55 PM
Example?
I haven't seen castles in Westeros with slopped walls, star-shaped battlements, or with ball trap ditches.
All castles in westeros have high walls with higher towers.
Rounded walls/towers; short, thick, walls; projecting towers/bastions.
Off the top of my head cant think what else.

Round towers are from the crusades. Don't know about rounded walls.

Siege

Why isn't this thread pinned on the first page?

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Siege

Anyway, my latest theories.

1- Barristan Selmy tells Daenerys that her father was in love with a girl before he married daenerys mother. The girl was the future wife of Tywin Lannister. During T-man Lannister's wedding, apearenly Aerys the Mad did something bad, that Selmy didn't want to tell Daenerys. I think Cersei and Jaime are Aerys the mad's children. Making Tyrion the only real son of Tywin, as Tywin's sister, the one married to a Frey, mother of Ser Cleos Frey, told Tywin once.

2- Valanqar. Cersei believe that profecy that her younger brother is gonna kill her. Guess what, Jaime is a younger brother to Cersei. I think Jaime will take out Cersei, eventually.

3- Who is the younger queen that is going to take everything from Cersei? Margaery, Daenerys, or Myrcella?

4- Jon Snow better be dead. I can't stand the dude. Complete lack of leadership and misunderstanding of his command. He failed as a Lord Commander. The function of the Wall is to stop BOTH the others AND the wildlings from raiding the North. He does not understand the men he leads, nor does he cares. He also speaks of his vows all the time, only to forfeit all that with his last action, trying to ride to Winterfell with a volunteer force at the very end before getting wacked. I hope he stays dead.

5- Tyrion. What a piece of shit. He thinks he is smarter than anyone, but all he does is drink and fuck whores. He threaten to kill Tommen, his own nefew, sells Myrcella to Dorne, and kills his own father for some hearsay about some chick that was a whore.

6- Daenerys. I hope somebody kills her and steal her dragons. Too bad Qentyn martell wasn't up to the task.

7- Aegon 6th. My best hope so far. Hopefully he will be like his father, not his grandpa. too early to tell.

8- And finally, I think Jaime Targaryen should get the Iron throne. That would make him a bastard though. Being a Targaryen.

9- Bran Stark. Great kid.

10- Rickon Stark. Next lord of Winterfell, thanks to the Manderlys.

11- Ary Karstark. Interesting chick. If Jon weren't a faggot he would have married her instead of giving her to the new Magnar of Thenn.

Viking

Quote from: Siege on August 07, 2012, 08:15:43 PM
Anyway, my latest theories.

1- Barristan Selmy tells Daenerys that her father was in love with a girl before he married daenerys mother. The girl was the future wife of Tywin Lannister. During T-man Lannister's wedding, apearenly Aerys the Mad did something bad, that Selmy didn't want to tell Daenerys. I think Cersei and Jaime are Aerys the mad's children. Making Tyrion the only real son of Tywin, as Tywin's sister, the one married to a Frey, mother of Ser Cleos Frey, told Tywin once.

Quote possible, but that sort of in a sense both saves Tyrion from being a kin-slayer and from being his father's son - at the same time. It also leaves the sailor's wife's daughter theory of mine in the dumps, little lanna of Tyrosh won't by the lady of casterly rock then.

2- Valanqar. Cersei believe that profecy that her younger brother is gonna kill her. Guess what, Jaime is a younger brother to Cersei. I think Jaime will take out Cersei, eventually.

Well duh.. he'll do it to save her from being raped and murdered though.

3- Who is the younger queen that is going to take everything from Cersei? Margaery, Daenerys, or Myrcella?

The prophecy says the younger and more beautiful queen will take all that she holds dear (that includes joffrey). So, yeah, Margaery.

4- Jon Snow better be dead. I can't stand the dude. Complete lack of leadership and misunderstanding of his command. He failed as a Lord Commander. The function of the Wall is to stop BOTH the others AND the wildlings from raiding the North. He does not understand the men he leads, nor does he cares. He also speaks of his vows all the time, only to forfeit all that with his last action, trying to ride to Winterfell with a volunteer force at the very end before getting wacked. I hope he stays dead.

Sorry to dissapoint, I'm certain he lives, or at least is a living zombie with a soul like Dondarrion.

5- Tyrion. What a piece of shit. He thinks he is smarter than anyone, but all he does is drink and fuck whores. He threaten to kill Tommen, his own nefew, sells Myrcella to Dorne, and kills his own father for some hearsay about some chick that was a whore.

- he is smarter than any one
- he does that because of his family's treatment of him
- It's a fake threat.
- To keep her safe from Stannis' army who would kill her (and tommen and every other lannister).
- No, she was not a whore, that is the point, that is what Jaime tells him just before he kills his father.

6- Daenerys. I hope somebody kills her and steal her dragons. Too bad Qentyn martell wasn't up to the task.

is she getting too old for you?
7- Aegon 6th. My best hope so far. Hopefully he will be like his father, not his grandpa. too early to tell.

he's a mummers dragon, fake.
8- And finally, I think Jaime Targaryen should get the Iron throne. That would make him a bastard though. Being a Targaryen.

No, Jaime's arc has him dying doing something noble.
9- Bran Stark. Great kid.

who will spend eternity under a tree.
10- Rickon Stark. Next lord of Winterfell, thanks to the Manderlys.

Quite possibly.
11- Ary Karstark. Interesting chick. If Jon weren't a faggot he would have married her instead of giving her to the new Magnar of Thenn.

Alys Karstark. Jon will be reborn, depose whoever is in kings landing (tommen?) and then re-join the nights watch and become the 1000th and last lord commander defeating the others.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Siege

Whoa, how do you know that about Jaime?

And Jon being reborn?
Like, wait another 20 years until he is old enough to kill Tommen?
Unlikely.

How do you know Aegon is fake? What are the clues?

Razgovory

Those really aren't "theories", Siege.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

Quote from: Siege on August 07, 2012, 08:45:53 PM
Whoa, how do you know that about Jaime?
It's the character's arc. He is moving from a character with no honor and respect. He is merely admired and feared. When he loses both, he loses his hand and his freedom, he finds out what it means to not have honor and respect. He is presented with the example Brienne who has honor and while she has nothing other than her own honor it means she can look herself in the mirror, Jamie can't. The horse's name is honor and the sword's name is oathkeeper. He keeps his word even though nobody trusts him once he has decided on the path of honor and he keeps his word going with brienne rather than come to his sister's aid.
And Jon being reborn?

Well duh, the red witch is there and has taken a liking to jon.
Like, wait another 20 years until he is old enough to kill Tommen?
Unlikely.

no tommen will still be a kiddie.

How do you know Aegon is fake? What are the clues?

Too much bolt from the blue and too many tricky hair colors. Hair color is too central to the plot and a man with that many colors just can't be trusted.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

I just wish Martin knew something about women. His caricature women are a little tiring.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Viking

Quote from: garbon on August 07, 2012, 08:56:16 PM
I just wish Martin knew something about women. His caricature women are a little tiring.

I agree, only the unmarried virgins have personality. Unmarried non-virgins are wanton sluts, as are married non-virgins. Mothers are just bat-shit crazy all of them (with the possible exception of the Queen of Thorns).

garbon

And the Queen of Thorns just stands in as the wizened old crone character.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Siege, I like the idea that you disapprove of Tyrion avenging the rape of his wife by the entire garrison of Casterly Rock (with Tyrion forced to watch the whole thing), as ordered by Tywin.  It makes me think your dad must have been a real sweetheart, if you think dads should get away with monstrous behavior like Tywin's.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!