And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: szmik on July 25, 2012, 10:45:02 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 25, 2012, 09:58:22 AM
Those look like normal keeps, Westerosi castles are totally fantastical.

What does it even mean?  :hmm:

Castles have their purpose, even in Westeros.  :secret:

Castles in the novels (and the TV show) are often much larger then castles were in real life.  Sometimes impossibly so.  There also appears to be a hodgepodge of styles and types that existed over a large period of time.  Some of the changes were caused by the development of cannon, so it's a bit odd to see those castles with features to defeat cannon in a world where cannons don't exist.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Queequeg

Quote from: Razgovory on July 25, 2012, 12:35:49 PM

Castles in the novels (and the TV show) are often much larger then castles were in real life.  Sometimes impossibly so.  There also appears to be a hodgepodge of styles and types that existed over a large period of time.  Some of the changes were caused by the development of cannon, so it's a bit odd to see those castles with features to defeat cannon in a world where cannons don't exist.
Examples?

TBH, my main problem in the TV series with the fortifications is that they are often pretty terrible.  All of the fortifications around King's Landing were about the size of a ring of the walls of Constantinople, which rather famously had two rings and a pretty large moat. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Queequeg on July 25, 2012, 05:55:38 PM
TBH, my main problem in the TV series with the fortifications is that they are often pretty terrible.  All of the fortifications around King's Landing were about the size of a ring of the walls of Constantinople, which rather famously had two rings and a pretty large moat.

And a dinky third wall in front of the moat, hence the famous "triple walls of Constantinople."

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Admiral Yi

Plus they weren't really rings because the seaward sides only had single walls. :nerd:

Razgovory

Examples?

Well they have a wall made of ice that is like 2 miles high... 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jaron

Were ice walls invented to defeat cannons? :P
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Siege

Quote from: Razgovory on July 25, 2012, 06:30:21 PM

Examples?

Well they have a wall made of ice that is like 2 miles high... 

No, the Wall is 700 feet high. About 210m high.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

Example?
I haven't seen castles in Westeros with slopped walls, star-shaped battlements, or with ball trap ditches.
All castles in westeros have high walls with higher towers.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Siege

Only the castles of the Great Houses.
Deepwood motte, Karhold, Torrhen Square, Flints Finger, etc, are perfectly normal.
Even White Harbor seems pretty normal for a fortified city.

Siege

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 25, 2012, 07:30:32 PM
How high is the Aerie?

Yeah, the Eyre is way out of reality.
Just maintaining supplied a castle that hard to access is ridicoulus.
I forgot how high the Eyre is.

Siege

This is a gorgeous castle.
Fort La Latte, originally the Roche Goyon.
The castle Michael Douglas and Jamie Lee Curtis sacked in that movie "The Vikings" from 1958.

Siege

Did people in real life lived in the towers of the castles like in Westeros?
I don't meant the keep or donjon, but the other towers on the walls.
In westeros they do.

dps

Quote from: Siege on July 28, 2012, 10:27:07 PM

The castle Michael Douglas and Jamie Lee Curtis sacked in that movie "The Vikings" from 1958.

That was Kirk Douglas and either Tony Curtis or Janet Leigh (not sure which of the latter 2 you meant--they were both in it).