Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: Martinus on May 22, 2012, 11:27:12 AM
You are Quebecois and emo. You do live in Bizarro world. :P

:lol:

I aint emo anymore, I grew up, now I'm just an asshole.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Solmyr

This episode established a lot of background info, especially for non-readers (who, let's face it, are the majority of this show's viewers). About the only problem I could see with it is how it somewhat pussified Arya, removing all of her book kills and questionable actions to date, but I guess there's still time for her to undergo her change of character (I'm thinking her time spent with the Hound in the next season will go towards that).

grumbler

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 22, 2012, 12:12:45 PM
Robb got laid, fired his mom altho he keeps waiting for One of the 7 knows what.

Translation:  nothing happened.

QuoteTyrion is trying to defend Kings Landing while Cersei & King Impotent go on being idiots.

Exactly:  nothing happened.

QuoteJon Snow got captured & has started infiltrating the Widlings

Jon Snow got captured between episodes and started this ep tied up.  He did nothing whatsoever to infiltrate the Wildlings.  IOW, nothing happened.

QuoteStannis made Lord Onion his future Hand, also got closer to KL.

In other words, nothing happened.

QuoteArya blackmailed Jaquen(?) into escaping

Already mentioned.

QuoteDany didn't do anything but I feel like this is what happens in the book too.

This is a TV show.  One of ten episodes for the entire season.  Wasting one-tenth of a season having characters stand around and jaw to no effect is not good TV.  A book can get away with some wasted time, because there isn't a hard-and-fast 530-minute limit to a book, unlike the series.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tamas

I issue a level 1 Grumbler Alert.

Grey Fox

Grumbler, can you tell me what happened in the previous week episode that was so great?

Josephus

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 22, 2012, 01:32:01 PM
Grumbler, can you tell me what happened in the previous week episode that was so great?

But the previous week was pretty much the same. I agree the last two eps have been "talkie-episodes." BUT, as has been siad, I think this is a budget issue and we're going to see the results of two boring episodes next week.

Hopefully.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

grumbler

Why do you think the previous week's episode was so great?  I'm not seeing it.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: grumbler on May 22, 2012, 01:02:42 PM

This is a TV show.  One of ten episodes for the entire season.  Wasting one-tenth of a season having characters stand around and jaw to no effect is not good TV.  A book can get away with some wasted time, because there isn't a hard-and-fast 530-minute limit to a book, unlike the series.
I completely disagree. It depends what characters are talking about and how good the actors are. There are tv shows that are all talk that are great and there are shows that are all action and plot twists that suck.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 22, 2012, 05:30:46 PM
I completely disagree. It depends what characters are talking about and how good the actors are. There are tv shows that are all talk that are great and there are shows that are all action and plot twists that suck.

I completely disagree with your complete disagreement.  You can just disagree with my assertion that "having characters stand around and jaw to no effect is not good TV" all day, and you won't convince me at all.

Except in quirky character sketchs (like the skit with John Belushi and Steve Marrtin staring into the camera and just saying "what the hell is that" in hillbilly voices on SNL), dialogue that doesn't advance plot or character development is wasted time on TV.

This episdode should have skipped Stannis completely, deleted the chit-chat between Tyrion and Varys, cut the Yara/Theon sequence in half, and had Dani take out the House of the Undying in the time thus freed up.  Then, at least one story line would actually have advanced.

Bayraktar!

Grey Fox

Quote from: grumbler on May 22, 2012, 02:51:57 PM

Why do you think the previous week's episode was so great?  I'm not seeing it.

I'm not sure, all the episode blur themselves.

I think I'm starting to see your point.

Eddie Teach

Episodes blurring together is a good thing IMO, same as how it's easier to read a novel than a book of related short stories.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Tamas on May 22, 2012, 01:15:38 PM
I issue a level 1 Grumbler Alert.

All stations on standby.  Ad hominems expected.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Solmyr

Quote from: grumbler on May 22, 2012, 06:00:49 PM
the chit-chat between Tyrion and Varys, cut the Yara/Theon sequence in half

Heh. You just mentioned the best moments of character interaction in the entire series (two out of three anyway, Arya/Tywin being the third). Tyrion/Varys chats are widely praised by fans and the last episode's Yara/Theon dialogue was also considered extremely good.

Martinus

Quote from: Solmyr on May 23, 2012, 01:31:20 AM
Quote from: grumbler on May 22, 2012, 06:00:49 PM
the chit-chat between Tyrion and Varys, cut the Yara/Theon sequence in half

Heh. You just mentioned the best moments of character interaction in the entire series (two out of three anyway, Arya/Tywin being the third). Tyrion/Varys chats are widely praised by fans and the last episode's Yara/Theon dialogue was also considered extremely good.

It's funny how out of touch grumbler is with this. It's like his complaints about the books - one wonders why he even watches the show/reads the books as he dislikes the things that are most liked by the fans. You could just as well complain that Babylon 5 has political plots and has spaceships and aliens in it.

Gups

G's right. You guys are just such childish fanbois you are unable to engage your critical faculties.

It's still a good series, it's just had a very dull episode.