News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faeelin

This is why power is an illusion, a shadow on the wall. It resides in a mandate from the masses.

grumbler

Quote from: Faeelin on May 02, 2012, 01:10:01 PM
This is why power is an illusion, a shadow on the wall. It resides in a mandate from the masses.
What if a moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at you?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on May 02, 2012, 01:05:37 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 02, 2012, 12:27:30 PM
QuoteNight gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come.

His watch ends with his death. He also pledges his life for all nights to come.  So, arguably, upon his death the obligation ends.

However he also pledges his honour for all nights to come.... :hmm:

So you answer is, in true lawyerly fashion, "it depends on who my client is" ?  :lol:

More correctly there is ample room for interpretation and therefore litigation.

garbon

Quote from: Maximus on May 02, 2012, 01:06:56 PM
Quote from: Martinus on May 02, 2012, 10:58:26 AM
Plus as others point out, Danaerys is the true Queen. Everyone else is an usurper with a more or less vaunted claim. Stannis's claim is only good within a very specific set of assumptions - which makes him just as bad as that of anyone else except Danaerys's, imo.
Danaerys comes from a line of foreign conquerors who have ruled in Westeros for a mere 300 years. What makes her claim any less vaunted than the others?

300 isn't really that mere.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Viking

Quote from: viper37 on May 02, 2012, 12:51:31 PM
Quote from: Viking on May 02, 2012, 11:41:59 AM
My two big legal questions about Westerosi law are as follows.

1 - If you die and are resurrected are you still bound by your oath to the nights watch?

2 - What is the status of children born under a second marriage of a Targaryen. Are they legitimate?
1- Depends if he actually dies or his simply mortally wounded but survives through use of magic or if he was never stabbed and this was a fake "nighwatch" man due to sorcery being employed (haven't read the 5th book yet).
[spoiler]Jon gets murdered "Murder on the Orient Express/Julius Caesar" style. Kevan gets murdered by Varys. A Feast of Freys are feasted on by the new Warden of the North in Pie form. The Tyrells are attempting to conspire for the return of Dany. A Targaryen is conjured out of thin air and invades the Stormlands. Bran meets the three eyed crow and the children of the forest. Wyman Manderley becomes my new favorite character by means of his über Stark loyalty and Mustela Pie.[/spoiler]
Quote from: viper37 on May 02, 2012, 12:51:31 PM
2- So long as they were officially married, they are legit.  If they were bastards, they need to be legitimized by their father.

In this case I'm referring to a Postumus child with, for the time being, no record or witness to the marriage.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Josephus

Quote from: grumbler on May 02, 2012, 01:11:42 PM
Quote from: Faeelin on May 02, 2012, 01:10:01 PM
What if a moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at you?

Come see the violence inherant in the system.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Maximus

Quote from: garbon on May 02, 2012, 01:18:26 PM
It is compared to the lifespans of some of the great houses.

garbon

Quote from: Maximus on May 02, 2012, 01:52:17 PM

What human can take the perspective of a great house? For most individuals that's a fairly entrenched dynasty.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on May 02, 2012, 02:29:37 PM

What human can take the perspective of a great house? For most individuals that's a fairly entrenched dynasty.

Since most people in the Books think in terms of their houses it isnt entrenched at all.  In fact so much so that it fell to a rebellion. ;)

Faeelin

However, these houses seem to die out very easily as soon as the chips are down.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Faeelin on May 02, 2012, 02:40:43 PM

However, these houses seem to die out very easily as soon as the chips are down.

:huh:

House Stark lasted for how long and the chips were down how many times for them before that?

The Book takes place during rather apocolyptic times.  That is hardly houses dying out "very easily".

viper37

Quote from: Viking on May 02, 2012, 01:23:38 PM
[spoiler]Jon gets murdered "Murder on the Orient Express/Julius Caesar" style.
[/spoiler]
[spoiler]
that I know, people already talked about it 100 pages ago...
What I don't know is if he was really murdered, or if it was someone else disguised as him.  There's one guy at least that I know who was witnessed burning while in fact it wasn't him.  Also, it isn't the first time we're told someone got killed and it wasn't actually him/her.

Whether or not Jon survives this attack is currently unknown.

I guess I won't know until the 6th book.[/spoiler]
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Viking

Quote from: viper37 on May 02, 2012, 02:48:43 PM
Quote from: Viking on May 02, 2012, 01:23:38 PM
[spoiler]Jon gets murdered "Murder on the Orient Express/Julius Caesar" style.
[/spoiler]
[spoiler]
that I know, people already talked about it 100 pages ago...
What I don't know is if he was really murdered, or if it was someone else disguised as him.  There's one guy at least that I know who was witnessed burning while in fact it wasn't him.  Also, it isn't the first time we're told someone got killed and it wasn't actually him/her.

Whether or not Jon survives this attack is currently unknown.

I guess I won't know until the 6th book.[/spoiler]

It happened in his own POV chapter. He saw it happen to himself. Unless he warged into somebody else's body and the nights watch decided that it was appropriate to collectively ritually murder.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 02, 2012, 06:33:28 PM
Casting for season 3 starts, let the rumors begin!

Did you audition for Daario?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?