News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

I think he was prepared, but doesn't like to be reminded.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Martinus

I gotta say I really liked the last episode. I think the show has finally picked its pace this season - until now it felt to me like there have been a lot of interesting scenes, but it felt like "exposition" too much, setting up the pieces as it were.

Now the pieces started moving.

I especially enjoyed the Harrenhall parts.

Martinus

Quote from: katmai on April 30, 2012, 09:32:17 PM
Why are you so afraid of things coming out of vaginas grey wolfe?

Must be all the post-STD traumas.

Josephus

Quote from: Martinus on May 01, 2012, 03:29:04 AM
I gotta say I really liked the last episode. I think the show has finally picked its pace this season - until now it felt to me like there have been a lot of interesting scenes, but it felt like "exposition" too much, setting up the pieces as it were.

Now the pieces started moving.

I especially enjoyed the Harrenhall parts.

The show does pack a lot in one hour.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Martinus

One of the "critical recaps" of the last episode I read made me realize probably why I liked the Harrenhall sequences the most - they are the most like the books, in that they show the entire Harrenhall experience through the eyes of Arya alone, and noone else's.

Every other location in the show is being shown in a more "typical tv show" sense (even Qarth has scenes that happen without Danny witnessing them directly, for example), not to mention the King's Landing or the Renly's camp which gets shown through numerous points of view - compare this to Harrenhall where we see only what Arya sees. Even Tywin's councils are shown only to the extent she sees them, and all other characters interact only with her. So that's most like the book.

Zoupa

Agreed.

Yes, I said I wouldn't watch it anymore, sue me.  :blush:

That scene when she says "Anyone can be killed" and doesn't look away from Tywin: not in the book, but pretty freaking awesome.

Arya always was my favourite character, and so far the show hasn't ruined her.  :)

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Jaron on May 02, 2012, 12:48:28 AM
Renly :weep:
Should have bent the knee.  He bends both of them for Loras.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Solmyr

Martinus

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on May 02, 2012, 01:54:48 AM
Quote from: Jaron on May 02, 2012, 12:48:28 AM
Renly :weep:
Should have bent the knee.  He bends both of them for Loras.

Stannis is a dishonorable murderer and a kinslayer. His claim to the throne is also not stronger than that of other pretenders, really, unless you are happy to engage in some serious sophistry. I hope he gets his come-uppance.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on May 02, 2012, 06:50:45 AM
Stannis is a dishonorable murderer and a kinslayer. His claim to the throne is also not stronger than that of other pretenders, really, unless you are happy to engage in some serious sophistry. I hope he gets his come-uppance.

He is Renly's older brother, so unless the strength of their claims is zero, his is greater.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

A self-proclaimed lawyer arguing that inheritance laws are merely "serious sophistry?"  Say it ain't so!

If Joffrey and his sibs are not Robert's heirs, then Stannis is.

If you wanted to engage in serious sophistry, you could argue that Stannis had voided his claims by using sorcery to kill his brother, I suppose.  But that would be contrary to anything we know about the law of the land.  If Stannis is the rightful king, then Renly was in open rebellion against his rightful king, and Stannis was no more wrong for using sorcery to kill him than Aegon was for using sorcery (dragons) to kill Haren the Black.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

Dany is the one true Queen!
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

His claim to the throne is also not stronger than that of other pretenders

Well he is the only remaining pretender to the Iron Throne so I guess that is true.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on May 02, 2012, 08:38:23 AM
His claim to the throne is also not stronger than that of other pretenders

Well he is the only remaining pretender to the Iron Throne so I guess that is true.
Daenarys is also a pretender to the Iron Throne.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!