News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

KRonn

Quote from: grumbler on April 24, 2012, 09:32:20 AM
Quote from: Berkut on April 24, 2012, 09:09:56 AM
I thought it was a good choice from the perspective that they need to cut some content, and while the content there was pretty damn well done in the books, you could pretty much just skip it.

Agreed, and why I raised the issue some time ago: HBO could have gotten some "cheap thrills" by dwelling on the sadism of Gregor Clegane and his men, but that wouldn't have advanced the story much.  I am perfectly happy with that situation.
Agreed. It was a nasty part of the story, all the pillaging and raping they did. Gave additional sense of the type of war they were waging, and good reason to hate on Gregor and crew, but it didn't need to be in the movie if deciding what to cut and what to leave in.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Faeelin

Do we ever learn why the Greyjoys didn't rise up during the war between the Baratheons and Targaryns? As opposed to waiting for Westeros to be united?

Grey Fox

I'm sure it must be cool and awesome in the books but Vagina Black Mist Stannis is fucking stupid.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Viking

Quote from: Faeelin on April 30, 2012, 05:15:01 PM
Do we ever learn why the Greyjoys didn't rise up during the war between the Baratheons and Targaryns? As opposed to waiting for Westeros to be united?

Balon Greyjoy is fucking stupid acting on motives of honour rather than acual reason. Best example is his war against Robb Stark when he is trying to achieve independence from Joffrey on the Iron Throne.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

grumbler

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 30, 2012, 05:43:29 PM
I'm sure it must be cool and awesome in the books but Vagina Black Mist Stannis is fucking stupid.

Disagree.  They did that about as well as it could be done.

The direction in this TV series is really excellent.  HBO has a tradition of excellent direction, but this is good even for them.  I'd say it is movie-quality, and movie directors are expensive.

Casting is movie-quality as well, but that's not so rare.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Viking on April 30, 2012, 07:01:46 PM
Quote from: Faeelin on April 30, 2012, 05:15:01 PM

Balon Greyjoy is fucking stupid acting on motives of honour rather than acual reason. Best example is his war against Robb Stark when he is trying to achieve independence from Joffrey on the Iron Throne.

Agree, but that's Martin's problem - he wants things to be as bleak as they could possibly be.  That gets old.

As for Faelin's question, I think that the Greyjoys sat tight hoping that the two sides bloodied themselves into exhaustion, at which point rebellion would be more likely to succeed.  In fact, I think that Balon Greyjoy assumed that this was in fact the case, else his rebellion made little sense.

Bayraktar!

Grey Fox

Quote from: grumbler on April 30, 2012, 08:23:31 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 30, 2012, 05:43:29 PM

Disagree.  They did that about as well as it could be done.

The direction in this TV series is really excellent.  HBO has a tradition of excellent direction, but this is good even for them.  I'd say it is movie-quality, and movie directors are expensive.

Casting is movie-quality as well, but that's not so rare.

Oh, I'm not knocking how they did it. I'm knocking Martin's stupid idea of a Vagina Black Mist Stannis.

grumbler

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 30, 2012, 09:17:13 PM
Oh, I'm not knocking how they did it. I'm knocking Martin's stupid idea of a Vagina Black Mist Stannis.
I'm not sure what you are knocking.  The idea that Stannis's religious adviser is one of the first ones who realizes that magic is back is great, as far as I am concerned.

I understand that Martin-bashing for the sake of Martin-bashing is all the rage, but this wasn't one of the things I think he is rightfully bashed for.

[spoiler]The trivial reanimation of dead people is worth the bashing.[/spoiler]

Bayraktar!

Grey Fox

Quote from: grumbler on April 30, 2012, 09:29:22 PM
I'm not sure what you are knocking.

Did it really need to come out of her vagina tho?

katmai

Why are you so afraid of things coming out of vaginas grey wolfe?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Habbaku

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 30, 2012, 09:30:34 PM
Quote from: grumbler on April 30, 2012, 09:29:22 PM
I'm not sure what you are knocking.

Did it really need to come out of her vagina tho?

Yeah, would've been better if Melisandra had just given Stannis head and vomited up the shadow.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Eddie Teach

Quote from: katmai on April 30, 2012, 09:32:17 PM
Why are you so afraid of things coming out of vaginas grey wolfe?

He did recently have a child.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

katmai

Which should have made him more ready for the horrors that can come out of there!
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son