News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: garbon on April 23, 2012, 07:51:22 PM
Also, looks like they did pretty good the creepy/horror front. Not in actually terrifying but very distasteful.

I found it more creepy than distasteful.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

Quote from: Josephus on April 23, 2012, 09:40:41 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 23, 2012, 07:51:22 PM
Also, looks like they did pretty good the creepy/horror front. Not in actually terrifying but very distasteful.

I found it more creepy than distasteful.

Sorry, I don't think I picked my words right. I don't mean I found it distasteful what the show did but rather that while not legitimately creeped out (as such hardly rises to the merits of scaring a jaded 20-something in the 21st century :P), I did find the characters' actions disgusting.  And I think that is entirely the appropriate tone - so I applaud what they did.  When Joffrey handed over the rod, I think I exclaimed 'oh shit.'  Also because they couldn't actually have Sansa stripped naked, I thought the prostitute cruelty scene filled in nicely.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Looks like they're changing a fair bit with Arya, Lannister has made her his cupbearer; IIRC that didn't come till Lord Bolton after she handed him the castle, before hand she was just some servant.

QuoteI generally don't open this thread till I've seen the current episode. Pretty obvious what people will be chatting about when it becomes a near-the-top, topic again.
Second.
If I'm too busy to see it on Monday then I don't look at this thread.

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 23, 2012, 10:01:47 AM
Quote from: Tyr on April 23, 2012, 08:22:43 AM
The Westlands are too civilized and well settled for land to be really taken there.
Crush the Lannisters and with Tywin and Kevan dead the lesser Lords of the Westerlands will bend the knee.
They want fresh land for their kids to settle with their slaves. Not snooty southern vassals.
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

They skipped right over the whole Tickler bit and the march of Gregor Clegane through the Riverlands with Arya in tow.  I'm grateful for that.  it was in some ways the bleakest bit of the book series, and it was bad enough just reading about it.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Tyr on April 24, 2012, 03:37:54 AM
They want fresh land for their kids to settle with their slaves. Not snooty southern vassals.

That's absurd.  The Riverlands had been under the iron Crown when the Targaryens invaded.  There is no reason why the iron Islanders wouldn't want it back.

No, they invaded the North first because they thought the North to be the most vulnerable.  They would have  taken the southern lands (and "snooty southern vassals") first, had that been the easiest course.  As it is, they can wait until southern wars cripple southern power before moving in.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

Looks like they're changing a fair bit with Arya, Lannister has made her his cupbearer; IIRC that didn't come till Lord Bolton after she handed him the castle, before hand she was just some servant.

They need to give Arya a good reason not to have him assassinated when she gets Jaqen's offer.

The Ironbron ruled the Riverlands once didn't they?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

Quote from: grumbler on April 24, 2012, 06:33:56 AM

That's absurd.  The Riverlands had been under the iron Crown when the Targaryens invaded.  There is no reason why the iron Islanders wouldn't want it back.

No, they invaded the North first because they thought the North to be the most vulnerable.  They would have  taken the southern lands (and "snooty southern vassals") first, had that been the easiest course.  As it is, they can wait until southern wars cripple southern power before moving in.

The Ironmen ruled the Riverlands.  As Lords who took what they wanted from the people. Not with the King of the Ironmen also having Rivermen vassals.
There's just no way they'd let mainlanders bend the knee and accept the Kingdom of the Iron Islands as their land- not in any significant numbers anyway. Thats the mainlander way of doing things, not the Iron way.
██████
██████
██████

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on April 24, 2012, 06:28:01 AM
They skipped right over the whole Tickler bit and the march of Gregor Clegane through the Riverlands with Arya in tow.  I'm grateful for that.  it was in some ways the bleakest bit of the book series, and it was bad enough just reading about it.

I thought it was a good choice from the perspective that they need to cut some content, and while the content there was pretty damn well done in the books, you could pretty much just skip it.

I think we are going to see something similar with Daenyrs - I suspect the Unsullied will come from Qarth, for example.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

grumbler

Quote from: Tyr on April 24, 2012, 06:42:57 AM
The Ironmen ruled the Riverlands.  As Lords who took what they wanted from the people. Not with the King of the Ironmen also having Rivermen vassals.
Totally incorrect.  I'm not sure why you would fabricate easily-disproven "facts" like this, unless you just don't want to admit that you are wrong.  Edmyn Tully is specifically noted as a vassal of Harren the Black who turned against him when Aegon arrived. 

QuoteThere's just no way they'd let mainlanders bend the knee and accept the Kingdom of the Iron Islands as their land- not in any significant numbers anyway. Thats the mainlander way of doing things, not the Iron way.

Argument by assertion, and contrary to what the books themselves say.  The Riverlords had, indeed, bent the knee to the iron Crown and in significant numbers.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on April 24, 2012, 09:09:56 AM
I thought it was a good choice from the perspective that they need to cut some content, and while the content there was pretty damn well done in the books, you could pretty much just skip it.

Agreed, and why I raised the issue some time ago: HBO could have gotten some "cheap thrills" by dwelling on the sadism of Gregor Clegane and his men, but that wouldn't have advanced the story much.  I am perfectly happy with that situation.

Bayraktar!

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Maybe it could be if you took enough narcotics. Or if you'd gone without sleep for 3 days.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Come on, the Newt one at least is hilarious

1 Karma Chameleon point