Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

Quote from: Habbaku on July 08, 2011, 03:34:40 PM
Quote from: Siege on July 08, 2011, 03:33:30 PM
Quote from: Benedict Arnold on July 08, 2011, 03:23:34 PM
Apologies, I missed the posts where it was mentioned.  I didn't realize that many posts had been added since I last saw the thread.  I saw only the few before mine discussing other topics.

Are you a retard?
Stop wasting my fucking time!

Says the guy who can't be bothered to look up something he forgot.

I have PTSD. I forget everything.
I even forget that I can google what I forget.

Anyway, FUCK YOU!!!!!!1111

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Agelastus

Quote from: Tyr on July 08, 2011, 03:32:55 PM
Quote from: Scipio on July 08, 2011, 02:41:23 PM
God forbid they make a miniseries about the Scottish border during Elizabeth's reign....

That could be pretty great actually......
A low down affair, not about the great people of the era but about a Reaver clan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Borderers
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Barrister

So its been several years since I read the series.  I had intentions of re-reading them before ADWD came out, but that has gone nowhere fast.

Do I pick up ADWD now, because I still remember the overall plot, or do I go back and read them in order (as I definitely don't remember all the details) and risk having ADWD spoiled for me by the time I get to it?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Read ADWD now.  If you need to review anything check this website: http://towerofthehand.com/
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Quote from: Agelastus on July 08, 2011, 03:44:51 PM
Quote from: Tyr on July 08, 2011, 03:32:55 PM
Quote from: Scipio on July 08, 2011, 02:41:23 PM
God forbid they make a miniseries about the Scottish border during Elizabeth's reign....

That could be pretty great actually......
A low down affair, not about the great people of the era but about a Reaver clan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Borderers
:o
To the torrent machine!
I was thinking it would be a bit like a western too...
██████
██████
██████

syk

I'm only half through A Clash of Kings but the one spoiler I'd like to read is if Syrio Forel returns at some point.

Josquius

Not definitely no.
Though there are theories. Ones I find very unlikely.
██████
██████
██████

syk

The one I read was Jaqen = Syrio. Don't think so. The only thing that seems to connect them was both being Braavosi. Anyway, Syrio in all his greasiness is a rather cool character and I'd like to see him return.

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on July 08, 2011, 08:48:54 AM
Quote from: grumbler on July 08, 2011, 07:25:20 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 08, 2011, 07:17:30 AM
Tell GRRM to stop naming everyone with the same sounding names.
:huh: GRRM's writing has many faults, but similar-sounding character names are not one of them.
Yeah, I quite liked the multiple Roberts actually, fit in well with the medievalesque setting.
And he doesn't do it anywhere near as much as history...

I remember reading one historical novel where half the cast had the same name.  The author fixed this by using different variations of the name.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Larch

Quote from: syk on July 10, 2011, 07:45:48 PM
The one I read was Jaqen = Syrio. Don't think so. The only thing that seems to connect them was both being Braavosi. Anyway, Syrio in all his greasiness is a rather cool character and I'd like to see him return.

Jaqen is not from Braavos but from Lorath, although he trained as a Faceless Man in Braavos. Then again I wouldn't extract much from Jaqen's background, as it was an assumed identity after all.

The Larch

Quote from: Razgovory on July 10, 2011, 08:50:44 PM
Quote from: Tyr on July 08, 2011, 08:48:54 AM
Quote from: grumbler on July 08, 2011, 07:25:20 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 08, 2011, 07:17:30 AM
Tell GRRM to stop naming everyone with the same sounding names.
:huh: GRRM's writing has many faults, but similar-sounding character names are not one of them.
Yeah, I quite liked the multiple Roberts actually, fit in well with the medievalesque setting.
And he doesn't do it anywhere near as much as history...

I remember reading one historical novel where half the cast had the same name.  The author fixed this by using different variations of the name.

Martin also used that argument as a small joke in one of the Dunk & Egg short stories. A small noble made a levy in his villages and out of the 10 able men he recruited, 3 or 4 had the same name, so they had to come up with ways to tell them apart, and finally relied on using their villages' name as their surname, IIRC. Then there was the problem of two of the guys coming from the same village. :p

Sophie Scholl

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/07/19/stannis-melisandre/
Melisandre and Stannis cast.  I am... not thrilled judging by the shots they have in the article and a quick google pic search.  Also, apologies to Berkut if this has been posted already.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Valmy

Very thrilled with the actor for Stannis.  He was a great Thomas Jefferson.

I am not familiar with the actress they got for Melisandre.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Valmy on July 19, 2011, 02:31:23 PM

Haven't seen John Adams yet.  He's good though?  Nice.  I think the Melisandre actress played Tom Cruise's wife in Valkyrie.  She just doesn't seem like she's attractive enough to pull it off, but we'll see.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Viking

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on July 19, 2011, 02:54:20 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 19, 2011, 02:31:23 PM

Haven't seen John Adams yet.  He's good though?  Nice.  I think the Melisandre actress played Tom Cruise's wife in Valkyrie.  She just doesn't seem like she's attractive enough to pull it off, but we'll see.

Yes, she doesn't have the voluptuous red haired milf vibe I was hoping for, but shit, you cant accuse her of not being hott enough.

Dillane's Jefferson seems to indicate that he might be suited to play Stannis.

So far I approve. And to be honest, only my opinion matters.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.