News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Tradition?  Well, I suppose there's the "tradition" of one epilogue character biting it.  The stronger tradition is that the prologue characters all die.  If the character were there instead of the epilogue, I might agree with you.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Quote from: Habbaku on June 28, 2011, 01:56:36 PM
Tradition?  Well, I suppose there's the "tradition" of one epilogue character biting it.  The stronger tradition is that the prologue characters all die.  If the character were there instead of the epilogue, I might agree with you.

All epilogue and prologue characters bite it.  Truth.

But it does not really matter if you agree with me or not.  We will soon find out who is right and who is dead...and the dead person will be that POV.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Quote from: Habbaku on June 28, 2011, 01:51:59 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on June 28, 2011, 01:44:07 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on June 28, 2011, 01:39:21 PM
Quote from: Tyr on June 28, 2011, 01:37:35 PM
So we're speaking spoilers for a book nobody has read yet?
Better avoid this thread from now on

I'm deliberately keeping vague about it, myself.  You won't see me posting any names, unlike Viking.   :rolleyes:

So spoiling the TV show was ok but the book is off limit?

The book's been out for 15 years.  Snape kills Dumbledore.

I have no problem with Spoilers of any kind. I'm just saying there shouldn't be any difference here.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Siege

Who is Varamyr Sixskins?

A cousin of Boromir?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on June 28, 2011, 01:59:17 PMAll epilogue and prologue characters bite it.  Truth.

There has only been one epilogue, so I doubt you can make a rule out of it. As for prologues, the one from the 4rd book doesn't end with the characters dead, but in impending doom.

Habbaku

Quote from: The Larch on June 28, 2011, 06:01:15 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 28, 2011, 01:59:17 PMAll epilogue and prologue characters bite it.  Truth.

There has only been one epilogue, so I doubt you can make a rule out of it.

Which was my point, of course, but Valmy would prefer to stick his fingers in his ears on the matter.  I'm not saying it's not possible for the character to bite it (in fact, I would expect it), but it's no guarantee just because they're in the epilogue.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Quote from: Habbaku on June 28, 2011, 06:07:33 PM
Which was my point, of course, but Valmy would prefer to stick his fingers in his ears on the matter.

I get what you guys are saying I just disagree.  I think GRRM absolutely intends for prologue and epilogues to end with the death of the POV character.  And it was the 3rd book where you do not actually see the POV die.

I am not even sure what there is to debate.  Do you have any evidence the character will not die?  What truths am I sticking my fingers in my ears to avoid?  So far every single prologue and epilogue character has died.

In any case I just found the implications of who said epilogue chapter was very interesting.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Siege on June 28, 2011, 05:56:48 PM
Who is Varamyr Sixskins?

A Wildling character from Storm of Swords.  Melissandre burned an eagle he had warged into when Stannis Baratheons army arrived north of The Wall.

Martinus

Quote from: Siege on June 28, 2011, 05:56:48 PM
Who is Varamyr Sixskins?

A cousin of Boromir?

He is a younger brother of Forskins.

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on June 28, 2011, 11:11:38 PMIn any case I just found the implications of who said epilogue chapter was very interesting.

Oh, that's undoubtly true, as an epilogue is a perfect way to close the book with a bang or an unexpected twist, as Martin did in the 3rd book with Lady Stoneheart. Whatever happens to the POV character in the epilogue, it's going to be a nail biting way to end the book.

The Larch

The maps for the new book have already been leaked.

Valyria and Slaver's Bay: http://guardiaoscura.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/valyria.jpg

Free cities: http://guardiaoscura.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/ciudades.jpg

Beyond the Wall: http://guardiaoscura.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/muro.jpg

It keeps surprising me how close to Westeros the Free Cities seem to be.

Josquius

hmm, so in the books too Braavos is super north.
Less Venice than Amsterdam then.
Very unexpected.
Hard to imagine they could stay hidden so long at such an obvious strategic point
██████
██████
██████

Viking

But, remember, Braavos is on level with The Twins and Lys is on level with Sunspear (in Dorne)
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on June 29, 2011, 07:57:24 AM
Hard to imagine they could stay hidden so long at such an obvious strategic point

Funny that was my exact same thought :nerd:

The Larch

Damn, the places I get my info from are starting to get filled with potentially super-spoilery material. The next few weeks will be extremely tough...