And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus

Quote from: viper37 on June 21, 2011, 10:36:29 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 21, 2011, 09:32:26 AM
Referring to people by their initials is just asking for your listener to go  :huh:

Exceptions for LBJ, FDR, TR, JFK and JC
I'd never thought Jean Chrétien was famous in the US too.
Jimmy Carter is though.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Habbaku on June 21, 2011, 10:50:45 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on June 21, 2011, 05:48:16 AM
Will we see Baratheon's boy again?

Gendry's in several parts of the books both while traveling with Arya and while elsewhere; so yes.

Excellent.  :bowler:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Grallon

I do think for once the various 'chapels' of Languish agree on something.  Many things were left out but the core story was very well done.  All the main characters were well drawn up, their motivations were clear and despite the white walkers and the dragons at the end - the whole thing comes off as a drama rather than a 'fantasy series'.  Much like BSG was a drama rather than a space opera.  And from what I hear about the ratings, a second season is a sure thing.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Grey Fox

Quote from: Grallon on June 21, 2011, 11:23:33 AM
I do think for once the various 'chapels' of Languish agree on something.  Many things were left out but the core story was very well done.  All the main characters were well drawn up, their motivations were clear and despite the white walkers and the dragons at the end - the whole thing comes off as a drama rather than a 'fantasy series'.  Much like BSG was a drama rather than a space opera.  And from what I hear about the ratings, a second season is a sure thing.

G.

It is. HBO ordered season 2 after the first week.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

Quote from: Habbaku on June 21, 2011, 11:29:28 AM
The finale had the highest ratings of the season.  :)

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/06/21/ned-who-game-of-thrones-soars-to-ratings-highs-in-season-finale/96133/

Can't be true - I know several people who swore not to even watch the show anymore after they killed Ned!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

Quote from: Berkut on June 21, 2011, 11:40:14 AM
Quote from: Habbaku on June 21, 2011, 11:29:28 AM
The finale had the highest ratings of the season.  :)

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/06/21/ned-who-game-of-thrones-soars-to-ratings-highs-in-season-finale/96133/

Can't be true - I know several people who swore not to even watch the show anymore after they killed Ned!

:lol:  Same here (well, not "several").  They must've bitched to all their friends who then watched to see what the fuss was about.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

I sure hope Sean Bean gets an Emmy for Eddard Stark.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Habbaku

Peter Dinklage deserves it more, though maybe he can give the other half of his to Bean.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Quote from: Habbaku on June 21, 2011, 11:58:11 AM
Peter Dinklage deserves it more, though maybe he can give the other half of his to Bean.

:lol:

Dinklage can get his next year.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Scipio

Referring to people by their initials is just asking for your listener to go  :huh:

I thought he meant Jacques Chirac.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Grey Fox

Quote from: Scipio on June 21, 2011, 12:07:11 PM

I thought he meant Jacques Chirac.

Jesus Fucking Christ, it's Johnny Cash.

jimmy olsen

Raitings are looking good. I wonder how much the budget will increase next season. I'm hoping for $80 million.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Viking

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 21, 2011, 06:51:55 PM
Raitings are looking good. I wonder how much the budget will increase next season. I'm hoping for $80 million.

I think D&D have at least had the sense not to go over the top with large battle scenes or cgi of dubious quality. They have stayed true to the book, focussed on what was important (the game itself, not the fancy plastic pieces).

I can't but hope that they improve the wolf interactions for the next season, if they can't do it without the dogs wagging their tales then they should keep it as it is...
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Viking on June 21, 2011, 07:32:55 PM
I think D&D have at least had the sense not to go over the top with large battle scenes or cgi of dubious quality. They have stayed true to the book, focussed on what was important (the game itself, not the fancy plastic pieces).

I can't but hope that they improve the wolf interactions for the next season, if they can't do it without the dogs wagging their tales then they should keep it as it is...
The books become much more battle and supernatural as they go on though.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point