News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Sansa's POV is something vaguely conceivable as a possible viewpoint of a 12-13 yr old girl of her background in her position.
Arya the 10 y.o. ninja-killer, not so much  . . .
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on June 16, 2011, 05:30:38 AM
and nothing happened....A bunch of her chapters should have been merged.

You know whose chapters should be merged?  Cersei's and Brienne's in book four.  I have no idea why it took 10 and 8 chapters to tell their stories.  And these are long AFFC chapters not short AGOT ones.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Habbaku

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 16, 2011, 01:42:29 PM
Sansa's POV is something vaguely conceivable as a possible viewpoint of a 12-13 yr old girl of her background in her position.

Has she really ninja-killed that many people, though?  She's stabbed a few people in the back, but most of her kills have been others doing the dirty work.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Josquius

For a 10 year old yes, she really should have had a few more years on her.
I liked her chapters though, through Arya we really explored the nitty-gritty of how badly the common people were being hurt by the war. With the others we were simply seeing the war from the POV of the head of an army, seeing quite a fun positive side of war as is typical of fantasy books really. With Arya we really get a dose of realistic 'yeah...war aint fun'.
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Razgovory

Part of the problem is everyone is to goddamn young.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Larch

Quote from: Razgovory on June 16, 2011, 09:31:21 PM

Part of the problem is everyone is to goddamn young.

Apparently Martin now regrets having made the kid characters so young, as he was counting on the now discarded several year fast forward between books 3 and 4. In the series they took advantage of that experience and aged the kid characters accordingly.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 16, 2011, 08:34:17 PM
Some news on the 2nd season.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2011/06/as-game-of-thrones-nears-its-finale-showrunners-david-benioff-and-dan-weiss-talk-about-season-two.html

Wish that interview was longer but good stuff.

Looking forward to the casting news.  Filming is starting next month so we should know alot soon.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on June 17, 2011, 06:47:13 AM
Eccleston for Stannis?

I pictured Stannis a little more heavy-set but yeah that would be great!  He even looks like a Baratheon.

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on June 17, 2011, 08:12:22 AM
Eccleston for Stannis?

I pictured Stannis a little more heavy-set but yeah that would be great!  He even looks like a Baratheon.

What about Mark Strong?

Valmy

"The Iron Throne is mine by rights. All those who deny that are my foes."

Martinus

Eccleston for Stannis?

I thought Stannis was a super-thin and wiry type of guy.

Slargos

Quote from: Martinus on June 18, 2011, 03:37:51 PM
Eccleston for Stannis?

I thought Stannis was a super-thin and wiry type of guy.

You have to realize that this is the 13th century and you can't judge people by today's standards. Back then he would've been heavy set by comparison to the filthy and starving.