Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaron

Pretty good. How about yourself?
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on June 15, 2011, 11:44:25 AM
Ned's best bet would have been to side with Renly. Unlike Littlefinger, he would have been unlikely to betray Ned, and with the money of Highgarden, he would stand a fair chance against the might of Casterly Rock. Plus Renly is a decent guy and would have probably been a decent King.

See, most people don't make political decisions based on whether someone is gay or not.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Jaron on June 15, 2011, 08:46:13 PM
Pretty good. How about yourself?
Doing fine. Broke my foot six weeks ago though, was in a cast/splint for a month.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Jaron

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you're doing better now.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

JonasSalk

What are the relative populations of the various kingdoms, their ability to field large armies, etc? They mentioned in an episode a few ago that dragons killed "millions" of people a long while back. I'm guessing that may have been similar to the Black Death, where about 1/4-1/3rd of Europe's population died out?
Yuman

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Jaron on June 15, 2011, 09:06:04 PM
I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you're doing better now.
Thanks, I'm back to normal now. :)
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: JonasSalk on June 15, 2011, 09:08:23 PM
What are the relative populations of the various kingdoms, their ability to field large armies, etc? They mentioned in an episode a few ago that dragons killed "millions" of people a long while back. I'm guessing that may have been similar to the Black Death, where about 1/4-1/3rd of Europe's population died out?
Renly's exaggerating for effect I think.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: Habbaku on June 15, 2011, 07:53:42 PM
Sansa pissed me off a lot in the early books, but she provides a valuable POV after a time.  Whether she'll actually prove to be something of a protagonist or not is the real question.

I never disliked her because I felt like I was supposed to and I am kind of oppositional that way.  I sort of like the idea of the innocent immature preppy cheerleaderesque girl who is neither a love interest, somebody for the hero to rescue, nor a antagonist for the hero girl.  She is just stuck in shitty situations that prey on her natural childish tendencies (though most of the protagonists end up in situations that prey on their natural tendencies) and eventually needing to use her rather limited wits to survive.

Not sure if there is anything ultimately interesting about the character I guess it depends on how she developes I agree there but eventually I grew to enjoy her chapters.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: JonasSalk on June 15, 2011, 09:08:23 PM
What are the relative populations of the various kingdoms, their ability to field large armies, etc?

The Reach, The West, The Stormlands, and the Riverlands seem to be the most populous.  Dorne and the North seem to be the smallest but have strong natural defenses.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

What bothered me about Sansa is there are long periods where she doesn't really do anything.  Often she just sits around and sees other things happen.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Habbaku

Quote from: Razgovory on June 15, 2011, 09:29:34 PM
What bothered me about Sansa is there are long periods where she doesn't really do anything.  Often she just sits around and sees other things happen.

Right, which is what I was alluding to and is a big part of my hatred of her "character" until late into book 2.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

I like Sansa for pretty much the reasons Valmy gave. :)

Many of the other characters are over the top (eg the little girl ninja assassin...). Sansa is not.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Slargos

Quote from: The Brain on June 16, 2011, 02:39:56 AM
I like Sansa for pretty much the reasons Valmy gave. :)

Many of the other characters are over the top (eg the little girl ninja assassin...). Sansa is not.

Concur.

Don't be a sansa hata.  :hmm:

Solmyr

I'm waiting for Sansa to eventually turn Littlefinger's lessons against him.

Josquius

In the 4th book Sansa was one of the better characters.
Before hand though I hated her bits. It was all the same "Ohhh I'm trapped here, ohhh Joffrey, I wub you, no wait, you're a nasty git, I'm scared. Hound oooo. Dontos keeps talking of saving me...." and nothing happened....A bunch of her chapters should have been merged.
██████
██████
██████