News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: Solmyr on June 13, 2011, 08:41:31 AM
Take a look at the shitstorm that is going on IMDB...

And people are going to be even more freaked when Drogo *also* dies next episode (since in this one there's some hope that he might make it).

LOL...Like this one:

I am so pissed off! Sean Bean is the reason why I started watching this show! How can you take such a experienced and great actor and kill his character?!!! I wanted the story line to end with him being King. Sean Bean brought this series strength. STUPID MOVIE, HBO!!! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Slargos

Quote from: Berkut on June 13, 2011, 08:38:19 AM
I wonder if the death of Ned has the same impact to the show audience that it does to the reading audience.

It doesn't seem like Ned has the same primacy of position in the shows that he does in the book.

On the contrary. The mooncricket is not terribly eloquent, but he did touch on several key aspects of Sean Bean in GoT:

- He's the currently "biggest" actor on the cast. The only A-list, really.
- He's been featured very prominently in much (most?) of the advertizing.
- He's been shown in a way during the episodes as to mark him (and the Starks) as the "main" protagonists of the show.

I think, additionally, that it's probably easier for a person watching the show to identify emotionally with a character than it is for a reader.

Was the execution a big shock for readers? Certainly.

Was it any less so for viewers? I don't think so. I would wager most people following the show who hadn't already been spoiled, "knew" that some plot device would be pulled out that would get Bean out of the Dungeon and back in the saddle, killing Lannister dogs. It's the way this story is Supposed to go, after all.

Berkut

Hehe, cool, because the death of Ned is really awesome - I am glad the viewers can "enjoy" it as much as I did.

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

viper37

Winter is coming.
But is it coming only to Starkland or all of the kingdoms?  What about the eastern continent, will they be affected by winter too?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on June 13, 2011, 09:46:02 AM
Winter is coming.
But is it coming only to Starkland or all of the kingdoms?

The second one.

QuoteWhat about the eastern continent, will they be affected by winter too?

Don't know.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

I knew that Neddy was going to die & now that it's done I wonder who will carry the show. It seems this will fall on Peter Dinklage or this show will die after 2 seasons.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Martinus

Quote from: Slargos on June 13, 2011, 08:57:06 AM
- He's the currently "biggest" actor on the cast. The only A-list, really.
That's the fucking point. When shows like this take on a big screen name, they usually do so for a character that is not going to be a major recurring one, for obvious reasons (not just costs, mind you - Sean Bean said in a number of interviews that he would not have accepted the role if he had to commit for more than one season, due to other commitments).

Martinus

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 13, 2011, 10:01:23 AM
I knew that Neddy was going to die & now that it's done I wonder who will carry the show. It seems this will fall on Peter Dinklage or this show will die after 2 seasons.

Like in the books, it will be carried by the Lannister siblings, Jon Snow and Danny.

Viking

AGOT - Ned is good guy protagonist
COK - Robb/Dany/Jon is good guy protagonist
SOS - Robb/Dany/Jon is good guy protagonist
FFC/DWD - it all gets very complicated...

If anything, Sean Bean is setting it up by getting us involved with the help of Star Power and then letting to story take over. Like Drew Barrymore in Scream.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Martinus

For the record, while I think Sean Bean was pretty well cast and I enjoyed his performance, the character of Ned (both in the books and as delivered on screen) is pretty bland and definitely not the "main lead" for the show, imo. He may have been positioned by the author to be in the centre of attention for a while, but I wouldn't call him someone who "carried" the story.

Josquius

Bean as Ned is great. Everyone just assumes he's the star, the main character, therefore nothing bad will ever happen to him....
My dad is expecting Robb's army to smash down the doors of the palace, rescue Ned and then Ned will have a rematch with Jamie and kick his arse.

I watch GoT on UK TV so have to wait until tonight to see it. Looking forward to it.
██████
██████
██████

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Martinus on June 13, 2011, 10:06:36 AM
For the record, while I think Sean Bean was pretty well cast and I enjoyed his performance, the character of Ned (both in the books and as delivered on screen) is pretty bland and definitely not the "main lead" for the show, imo. He may have been positioned by the author to be in the centre of attention for a while, but I wouldn't call him someone who "carried" the story.

Oh I agree, Ned was a piss poor character but Boromir is god. Losing him early, AGAIN, hurts. Damn it.

It's going to be weird to start liking Jaime.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Berkut

Oh, one little touch I liked.

When Jory Mormont was fighting, he used his armor to win the fight. I liked that they made it clear that yeah, having a shitload of armor really is a lot better than not having a shitload of armor.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

viper37

The Imp for King!  Damn it, I love this little guy! :)
He could have been Robert's son, in a way :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.