News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Berkut on June 06, 2011, 03:10:14 PM
Ser Barristan is a pretty interesting character. Dude has clearly very high standards of honor (rather Ned like in fact) yet seems pretty content serving those who clearly are

A) Mad (Aerys), or
B) Incompetent (Robert), or
C) Totally without honor, not competent, and probaby not legitimate (Joffrey/Cersei)

Why didn't he bail a long time ago? Clearly he was totally dedicated to the Kingsguard, not matter what. To that extent, Joffrey almost certainly did the man a favor, since it gave him an out that was probably not available to him otherwise.

Yup, my thoughts exactly.

Incidentally, the guy is not just an old fool serving unworthy kings. If you read the Westerosi "apocrypha" (the short stories GRRM wrote), he was a true badass in his youth.

Berkut

And he does have a disturbing habit of serving the people who just killed the last king he swore to give his life to protect. Granted, in each case he has little ability to save said king under the circumstances, but still...hell, if Joffrey had not dismissed him, he certainly would have been around to watch HIM drop dead as well!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: Martinus on June 06, 2011, 03:11:40 PM
Incidentally, the guy is not just an old fool serving unworthy kings. If you read the Westerosi "apocrypha" (the short stories GRRM wrote), he was a true badass in his youth.

Oh, I think they make it pretty clear he was a total badass even outside the apocrypha.

0 rows returned

Slargos

Ser Barristan is a pretty interesting character. Dude has clearly very high standards of honor (rather Ned like in fact) yet seems pretty content serving those who clearly are

A) Mad (Aerys), or
C) Totally without honor, not competent, and probaby not legitimate (Joffrey/Cersei)

Why didn't he bail a long time ago? Clearly he was totally dedicated to the Kingsguard, not matter what. To that extent, Joffrey almost certainly did the man a favor, since it gave him an out that was probably not available to him otherwise.

It's perfectly reasonable. He's not the kind of man who wants to busy himself with pedestrian activities such as, say, preparing his own meal.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on June 06, 2011, 02:51:36 PM
Also, Ser Barristan Fucking Selmy Fucking Rocks.  :cool:

Generally agree, but the way the firing scene played out I thought he came across as petty.

Maximus

I don't think Joffrey gave him an out. He just made it clear that Joffrey was not the king Ser Barristan was supposed to be guarding.

Remember that Barristan fought with Rhaegar on the trident. He was badly wounded and captured, but Robert pardoned him.

Berkut

Quote from: Maximus on June 06, 2011, 03:30:02 PM

I don't think Joffrey gave him an out. He just made it clear that Joffrey was not the king Ser Barristan was supposed to be guarding.

Remember that Barristan fought with Rhaegar on the trident. He was badly wounded and captured, but Robert pardoned him.

I don't think Barristan even considers going to anyone else no matter what if Joffrey does not fire him.

0 rows returned

The Larch

A) Mad (Aerys), or

He's honourable, yes, but he's also extremely dutiful and married to the job. He swore an oath to protect the king, and that's the only thing in his head. He has no life besides that.

Sophie Scholl

Ser Barristan is Frank Horrigan from In The Line of Fire? :hmm:  I rather liked last night's episode.  The combining of Khal Drogo moments was needed to ensure the pacing continued, and I think it worked pretty well.  I think the attack on The Old Bear could have been done better, but ultimately it also worked out alright.  I'm definitely looking forward to the last two episodes of the season (series for you Britards).
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Maximus

Quote from: The Larch on June 06, 2011, 03:43:32 PM
He's honourable, yes, but he's also extremely dutiful and married to the job. He swore an oath to protect the king, and that's the only thing in his head. He has no life besides that.
Yes but which king?

It seems to me that Selmy decided that whichever king held the Iron Throne was the one to protect. When that was taken from him he went with the other option.

The Larch

It's a pity that they didn't include the "I'll only serve the true king" line that he utters in the books. That makes it clear that he doesn't consider Joffrey the legitimate king.

Josquius

Aye, that would be a pretty major line.

QuoteYup, my thoughts exactly.

Which stories are these?
I only know of Dunc and Egg and they predate him by a while. Unfamilar with others.

QuoteOh, and they also show Rickon, who gets a line.
Heh. My parents there remarked that they didn't know there was another son.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Well, the whole scene already telegraphed the fact that he's amenable to joining up with the good guys.

If only he can dig up some replacement armor somewhere.

Viking

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 06, 2011, 04:15:42 PM
Well, the whole scene already telegraphed the fact that he's amenable to joining up with the good guys.

If only he can dig up some replacement armor somewhere.

he dumped his cloak and helm, not his armor.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Josquius

He dumps his armour in the books I'm sure.
When he shows up again he's not wearing it anyway.
██████
██████
██████