And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Solmyr on June 06, 2011, 08:23:01 AM
Quote from: The Larch on June 06, 2011, 08:12:39 AM
Do the Stark bannermen appear in this episode? And the Hill tribes? Are manhoods threatened to be cut off and fed to the goats?

Yes on all three.

As for Jaqen, he apparently moves on to impersonating an Oldtown alchemist in aFfC, so whatever his plan is, it must be pretty complex with many phases.

Yup, the Jaquen - Alchemist connection I can buy, the Jaquen - Syrio not so much.

How do the Stark bannersmen and the hill tribes fare? Do the actors look and act the part? I've been waiting to see Big Jon Umber, Roose Bolton, Shagga, Tymmet and the rest for too long!

Solmyr

Only the Greatjon gets spoken lines, the other Stark bannermen are not named. I expect they might show Bolton in the next episode.

They do show all three of Shagga, Timmett, and Chella, though only Shagga says anything.

All of them seem fine as far as casting goes.

Solmyr

Oh, and they also show Rickon, who gets a line.

Maximus

Quote from: Martinus on June 06, 2011, 01:22:10 AM
Plus if Lannisters control Riverlands (or, more specifically, The Twins - the castle held by the Tully's bannermen, the Freys), they control the only safe passage from the North into the South - Moat Cailin.

Err, the Freys don't control Moat Cailin at any point in the books afaik. In the beginning it's not even manned-- Eddard instructs Catelyn to fortify it when he sends her back north. Later it's held by the Ironmen. The Freys do control the Crossing, which is the only good route from the North to Riverrun and the West.

Martinus

Quote from: Maximus on June 06, 2011, 08:53:04 AM
Quote from: Martinus on June 06, 2011, 01:22:10 AM
Plus if Lannisters control Riverlands (or, more specifically, The Twins - the castle held by the Tully's bannermen, the Freys), they control the only safe passage from the North into the South - Moat Cailin.

Err, the Freys don't control Moat Cailin at any point in the books afaik. In the beginning it's not even manned-- Eddard instructs Catelyn to fortify it when he sends her back north. Later it's held by the Ironmen. The Freys do control the Crossing, which is the only good route from the North to Riverrun and the West.

Ok, gotcha. Make it the Crossing then, not Moat Cailin.

Martinus

Dunno if this is the magic of the name (the episode was written by the Mountain That Writes) but I really felt the "spirit" of the books in this episode. Really enjoyed it.

Viking

Quote from: Solmyr on June 06, 2011, 08:44:03 AM

Rickon's line is much more ominous when said in the TV show, basically the scene exists to allow Rickon to speak the line. When this happens during a time period where the Blackfish, Karstark, Glover and Bolton mesmerize by their absence. In the book it just seems like a throwaway line from a child that feels abandoned, in the TV show the line becomes significant.   
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Slargos

Quote from: Viking on June 06, 2011, 02:33:53 PM
Quote from: Solmyr on June 06, 2011, 08:44:03 AM

Rickon's line is much more ominous when said in the TV show, basically the scene exists to allow Rickon to speak the line. When this happens during a time period where the Blackfish, Karstark, Glover and Bolton mesmerize by their absence. In the book it just seems like a throwaway line from a child that feels abandoned, in the TV show the line becomes significant.

It becomes more ominous in a way that the written word simply can't convey.

6 year old kid makes a serious announcement to the tone of ominous music. We are conditioned to listen by several audiovisual cues where a reader might completely overlook the importance.

Come to think of it, it would've worked even better if they'd gone with "No" [dramatic pause] "They won't."  :D

The Brain

They mostly come out at night. Mostly.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Also, Ser Barristan Fucking Selmy Fucking Rocks.  :cool:

Slargos

Quote from: Martinus on June 06, 2011, 02:51:36 PM
Also, Ser Barristan Fucking Selmy Fucking Rocks.  :cool:

Concur. Did you notice how at the end of that scene just before it cuts out, the kingsguard on the far right has visible trouble sheathing his sword. Not very knightly of him.  :D

Maximus

Yea I have to agree. One of the best-cast positions so far.

Slargos

To watch this show without having read the books must be a tremendous treat.  :hmm:

Martinus

Quote from: Slargos on June 06, 2011, 03:02:43 PM
To watch this show without having read the books must be a tremendous treat.  :hmm:

I think it cuts both ways. For people who did not read the books, the plot turns must be a treat. But for people who read the books, the casting is awesome and it is great to see all those scenes come to life.

I kinda like how this episode focused on the "nitty gritty" characters, the "good guys" of the series, be it Daenerys preventing a gang rape, Robb leading troops to war or Ser Barristan doing his act. I must say I enjoy the panache of characters like Littlefinger, Varys or Cersei for the sheer evil goodness (Alexis Colby/Carrington style), but the good guys still make my eyes go wet.

Berkut

Ser Barristan is a pretty interesting character. Dude has clearly very high standards of honor (rather Ned like in fact) yet seems pretty content serving those who clearly are

A) Mad (Aerys), or
B) Incompetent (Robert), or
C) Totally without honor, not competent, and probaby not legitimate (Joffrey/Cersei)

Why didn't he bail a long time ago? Clearly he was totally dedicated to the Kingsguard, not matter what. To that extent, Joffrey almost certainly did the man a favor, since it gave him an out that was probably not available to him otherwise.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned