News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on June 01, 2011, 01:50:41 PM
Right, in your quest to elevate the tone, calling another poster a cunt when you realize you are wrong is surely the way to go.
You do realize that Slargbilly thinks irony is the act of getting rid of wrinkles in clothes, don't you?  I mean, the rest of us are amused by this exchange, but if you are trying to reach him, irony (or cleverness of any sort) is a waste of time.  He's otnay ootay ightbray, you know?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Viking on June 01, 2011, 01:51:01 PM
His father was butchering a stag to emphasize that Tywin was taking part in the butchering of Robert Baratheon.
Did they make enough of the stag being the Baratheon symbol for the viewer to get this analogy, or was this something the writers did as more of an inside joke?  If the viewer was supposed to get the symbolism, the surely it ia allowable in the show as a visual shortcut, no matter how unlike the book character it is.  As an inside joke, maybe it is less defensible.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Slargos

Quote from: grumbler on June 01, 2011, 02:29:45 PM
Quote from: Berkut on June 01, 2011, 01:50:41 PM
Right, in your quest to elevate the tone, calling another poster a cunt when you realize you are wrong is surely the way to go.
You do realize that Slargbilly thinks irony is the act of getting rid of wrinkles in clothes, don't you?  I mean, the rest of us are amused by this exchange, but if you are trying to reach him, irony (or cleverness of any sort) is a waste of time.  He's otnay ootay ightbray, you know?

:lol:

You're a cunt aswell.  :hug:

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: grumbler on June 01, 2011, 02:32:35 PM
His father was butchering a stag to emphasize that Tywin was taking part in the butchering of Robert Baratheon.
Did they make enough of the stag being the Baratheon symbol for the viewer to get this analogy, or was this something the writers did as more of an inside joke?  If the viewer was supposed to get the symbolism, the surely it ia allowable in the show as a visual shortcut, no matter how unlike the book character it is.  As an inside joke, maybe it is less defensible.
They've made a bit of mention about it.  Also, there was the early scene with the Direwolf cubs and the dead stag.  I'm pretty sure that Catelyn mentions something about the symbolism then.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Martinus

Jamie was wearing red plate to emphasize that he was now a lannister soldier rather than a member of the kingsguard.

Symbolism aside, I disagree it does not fit Tywin's personality. His is a rare breed - unlike his children, he is of the old ways. But also he is ruthless, unlike the Starks.

Martinus

Quote from: Slargos on June 01, 2011, 12:17:45 PM
He conformed to my image of Tywin. A hands on kind of guy, who isn't afraid to get a little blood on him.

It elegantly establishes what kind of guy he is without spending too much time on it, since I wager a majority of the viewers are sufficiently removed from the process of slaughtering an animal to be a bit grossed out by it.

I agree with Slargos.

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Josquius

Saw Monday's episode.
Well....wtf was with the Littlefinger lesbian scene? Couldn't they have thought of a quicker and easier way to mention the duel with Brandon and all that? I'm damn glad my mam decided not to watch it with me!
And Littlefinger saving himself for Cat?...that one is new to me. Thought it was canon he had knocked Lysa up. And.,..damn. Owning half the brothels in a big city and not partaking a little?

Tywin didn't seem very Tywinny to me. Too....animated. And common. They never actually said who he was either and just jumed into that scene in such a way I wondered if I'd missed an episode.

Sad they had Ghost getting the hand (where the hell have the wolves been!) but are saving the other attack.

Interesting pacing decision with Ned being captured now....so the next episode I guess is going to string out his captivity? As surely a logical shock end point or cliff hanger to an episode would be the execution. Hope they have flashbacks...
██████
██████
██████

Josquius

re: The Tywin killing a stag bit. The symbolism was a bit daft and it was lost. My dad said "If he is the boss why is he doing servants work?".
Could work as an inside joke I guess.
All it really shows is that Tywin is a guy who enjoys a bit of butchering. Which I guess fits into the Lannisters as the Jews of Westeros thing, too cheap to even shell out for a butcher. hmm....adding in Tywin's commoness are the Lannisters: Yorkshire?
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Uhh, how can there be a "Littlefinger lesbian scene"? They didn't go all Starbuck on him did they?  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

In the scene was Littlefinger and some girls doing lesbian stuff, thus the Littlefinger lesbian scene.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

If there's a dude on the screen it's not a lesbian scene.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?