And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 01, 2011, 03:22:13 AM
Quote from: Martinus on June 01, 2011, 02:58:25 AM
Yeah, I always thought it rather funny that in fantasy worlds, history seem to be taking comparable real world events and multiply their duration by ten.

So a dynasty rules not for 300, but 3000 years, a plague lasts not 5 but 50 years, and so on.

That being said, Westeros is not that bad. Aegon's conquest only happened less than 300 years ago, so the timeline here is not so insane. I think only Starks (and possibly Greyjoys) have such long claims to power.
How much documentation do they have for those dates? It probably didn't happen has far back as that.

The Citadel of Oldtown predates the Andal Invasion, and I assume the written history is at least as old as the Citadel.

Faeelin

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 01, 2011, 03:22:13 AM
Quote from: Martinus on June 01, 2011, 02:58:25 AM
Yeah, I always thought it rather funny that in fantasy worlds, history seem to be taking comparable real world events and multiply their duration by ten.

So a dynasty rules not for 300, but 3000 years, a plague lasts not 5 but 50 years, and so on.

That being said, Westeros is not that bad. Aegon's conquest only happened less than 300 years ago, so the timeline here is not so insane. I think only Starks (and possibly Greyjoys) have such long claims to power.
How much documentation do they have for those dates? It probably didn't happen has far back as that.

They joke about this in the most recent book, IIRC, when the fat kid says that the dates in the Watch archives don't mesh the chronology, but he only finds a few centuries added. We're still talking about a society which is more stagnant than anything comparable in human history.

Solmyr

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Berkut

I thought Tywin Lannister skinning a dear in gruesome detail was really, really lame.

I don't think Tywin spends much of his time on such things.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on June 01, 2011, 10:50:14 AM
I thought Tywin Lannister skinning a dear in gruesome detail was really, really lame.

Yeah I did not get that either.  I figured great lords would think that sort of thing was beneath their dignity.  Especially one as obsessed with dignity as Tywin Lannister.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

Quote from: Valmy on June 01, 2011, 10:52:05 AM

Yeah I did not get that either.  I figured great lords would think that sort of thing was beneath their dignity.  Especially one as obsessed with dignity as Tywin Lannister.

No kidding. The dude is completely uptight and rigid. Would never spend his time on such a pedestrian activity. Hell, he is probably the kind of Lord who doesn't even hunt himself anymore.

0 rows returned

The Brain

Maybe his passion for skinning will be discussed at length in the new book?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Viking

The skinning the

I can't imagine why anybody might want to make a clear excruciating point about that? Unpossible!
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Slargos

You mustn't forget that this is TV. Visuals matter far more than in a book.

Skinning an animal sets the tone for the modern viewer who isn't used to getting so personal with the meat. Calmly discussing the proper way to destroy your enemies while carving an animal's skin off creates a certain aire around the character which I think works very well.

Berkut

Quote from: Slargos on June 01, 2011, 11:15:38 AM

You mustn't forget that this is TV. Visuals matter far more than in a book.

Skinning an animal sets the tone for the modern viewer who isn't used to getting so personal with the meat. Calmly discussing the proper way to destroy your enemies while carving an animal's skin off creates a certain aire around the character which I think works very well.

I thought it was just stupid. Like it was trying to set up Tywin as some mafia butcher, like the dude in Gangs of New York.

I thought it made him look rather pedestrian.

0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: Viking on June 01, 2011, 11:08:44 AM

The skinning the

I can't imagine why anybody might want to make a clear excruciating point about that? Unpossible!

But it wasn't a lion skinning a dear, it was a Lannister skinning a dear. Half a metaphor doesn't make much sense, or have any real impact.

The effect it had on me was to make me think "Gee, I guess Tywin Lannister cannot afford a decent butcher, and has to do it himself..."

0 rows returned

Slargos

He conformed to my image of Tywin. A hands on kind of guy, who isn't afraid to get a little blood on him.

It elegantly establishes what kind of guy he is without spending too much time on it, since I wager a majority of the viewers are sufficiently removed from the process of slaughtering an animal to be a bit grossed out by it.

Berkut

But Tywin isn't a hands on kind of guy. He is a super practical, use the right tool for the right job kind of guy. He isn't out riding around with Gregor Clegane, for example - he has hounds to do a hounds job. His job is to lead, because that is what he is good at.

Butchering animals? He would not do it - not because he is above it personally so much as simply because

1. It is not befitting his station, and
2. He has more important things to be doing.

He would no more spend a few hours butchering a deer than he would spend a few hours banging the dents out of his armor, or shoeing his horse, or mucking out the stables.

0 rows returned