And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Siege on May 31, 2011, 06:29:46 PM
OK, besides St Louis.
Reg: But apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh-water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Siege

According to this map, Westeros is way bigger than England and France together.
It goes all the way from Spain to Scandinavia!

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Razgovory

I always thought the scale was off.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 31, 2011, 10:22:00 AM
Quote from: Siege on May 30, 2011, 04:45:48 PM
In the end, can anybody name a historical person that was as suppossedly righteous as Ned Stark in medieval times?

Louis IX was the model for the pious, chivalrous leader who made bad decisions (both crusades).

King Steve of England was noted for being a chivalrous leader (though not a good King).  King Jean II was captured by the English, released in exchange for his son and when his son ran off he voluntarily returned to captivity.  His son was much smarter and didn't do things like that and is remembered as one of the great kings of France (not the same son that ran off though).   Godfrey of Bouillon was often depicted as the model of a Christian Knight.  I don't know if he actually lived up to that, but he was considered one of the nine worthies.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on May 31, 2011, 10:34:54 PM
That's the fanmade small option. GRRM says it's as big as South America.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Still looks like an inverted outline of Britain regardless of actual size.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 31, 2011, 10:49:35 PM

Yeah, I thought that was kind of weird.  Also the times seem odd.  The histories go on for thousands of years, often with one ruling family at the helm.  However, real medieval families tended to go extinct fairly often and were often replaced.  In the novels House Stark is replaced by House Bolton with out much regard to tradition (these guys had been rulers of the North for millennia).  The longest ruling House in real life that I can think of Is the Japanese Imperial Family and they are youthful compared to the Starks and Lannisters.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on May 31, 2011, 11:37:55 PM
Yeah, I thought that was kind of weird.  Also the times seem odd.  The histories go on for thousands of years, often with one ruling family at the helm.  However, real medieval families tended to go extinct fairly often and were often replaced.  In the novels House Stark is replaced by House Bolton with out much regard to tradition (these guys had been rulers of the North for millennia).  The longest ruling House in real life that I can think of Is the Japanese Imperial Family and they are youthful compared to the Starks and Lannisters.

Especially with the Starks constantly giving their sons to the Night's Watch.

But this is a fantasy story.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 31, 2011, 10:49:35 PM

I do have a hard time imagining the Vale of Arryn being as big as Poland.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Razgovory on May 31, 2011, 11:37:55 PM
House Bolton was at odds with House Stark for a long time over control of the North, so they do have some claim to once being near the top/top dog.  It isn't as crazy as say... House Mormont taking charge.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Martinus

Yeah, I always thought it rather funny that in fantasy worlds, history seem to be taking comparable real world events and multiply their duration by ten.

So a dynasty rules not for 300, but 3000 years, a plague lasts not 5 but 50 years, and so on.

That being said, Westeros is not that bad. Aegon's conquest only happened less than 300 years ago, so the timeline here is not so insane. I think only Starks (and possibly Greyjoys) have such long claims to power.

Martinus

Also, you have to remember that the way Houses work in Westeros, it appears that they, at least to a degree, allow for inheritance through female lines while maintaining the identity of the House.

For example, Queen Elizabeth is a direct descendant of William the Conqueror, so in Westeros terms she would be technically of the same House as he.

Sophie Scholl

Truth.  The one Brandon Stark in the distant past had only a daughter and her sons maintained the line and family name.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Martinus

To summarize, the great Houses ruling their respective areas:

The North - Starks - over 7,000 years (sic!)
Dorne - Martells - 700 years
Dragonstone/King's Landing - Targaeryns - since Aegon's Conquest
Storm's End - Baratheons - since Aegon's Conquest
The Reach - Tyrells - since Aegon's Conquest
Riverlands - Tullys - 1000 years (but only less than 300 years as lords paramount)
The Pyke - Greyjoys - since Aegon's Conquest
The Aerie - Arryns - since Andal Invastion, 6000 years ago
The Westerlands - Lannisters - since Andal Invasion, 6000 years ago

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Martinus on June 01, 2011, 02:58:25 AM
Yeah, I always thought it rather funny that in fantasy worlds, history seem to be taking comparable real world events and multiply their duration by ten.

So a dynasty rules not for 300, but 3000 years, a plague lasts not 5 but 50 years, and so on.

That being said, Westeros is not that bad. Aegon's conquest only happened less than 300 years ago, so the timeline here is not so insane. I think only Starks (and possibly Greyjoys) have such long claims to power.
How much documentation do they have for those dates? It probably didn't happen has far back as that.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point