News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Quote from: Scipio on May 16, 2011, 06:24:32 PM
Maybe I will finally make it all the through Clash of Kings.

Edit: I meant A Storm of Swords.  I've made it through Clash of Kings.

Well, hopefully you do.  It's certainly worth it.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Scipio

Quote from: Habbaku on May 16, 2011, 09:40:54 PM
Maybe I will finally make it all the through Clash of Kings.

Well, hopefully you do.  It's certainly worth it.
To my mind, it's merely a superior form of the Dead Fat Man's work.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Tyr on May 16, 2011, 05:13:17 PM
My dad has excellent gaydar apparently, as soon as Loras entered he said "That puff is gonna fight the big bloke?"

The lack of a melee was dissapointing. Was Robert ever going to joust in the books? I'm sure they've just moved him from the melee.
And in the book Cersei didn't lose Roberts kid right? I'm sure in the novels she's never been pregnant by him. Can't recall so well though.
The Eyrie was very dissapointing. Looks like they've changed it totally too, its not on top of a mountain, its some sort of weird...hollowed out honeycomby....infeasable in a 'how does that even stand up?' way, sort of thing.
I liked Robin. He couldn't act (he's a kid though, so meh) but he looked ill, had a wonky eye.
The Robert and Cersei scene was lame yes. My dad even started complaining there saying "Its a bit slow isn't it? Is there ever any big fights?"

I wonder what people will make of the others never being seen again...

Maybe.  He certainly would have been popular initially.
He's vain and weak.
All the king needs to do is sit on the throne and look pretty, let the council rule. A weak king is a good thing.
Yes, Robert planned on jousting in the tournament.  Yes, Cersei was pregnant with Robert's legitimate son once, but got Jaimie to hook her up with an abortion.  She tells this to Ned when Ned confronts her about the inbred Lannister kiddies.  I have yet to watch the newest episode, but I'm not thrilled with your description of the Eyrie.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: HVC on May 16, 2011, 09:08:56 PM
The suckling kid scene was disturbing. Surprised they let that one through.
They used a prosthesis.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

viper37

Quote from: Tyr on May 16, 2011, 05:13:17 PM
I wonder what people will make of the others never being seen again...
So, from the beginning, they tell us it's going to be a long night.  During the long night, this old and very tough ennemy comes back to destroy the living.  Very LOTResque.  We see hint that they are there, not just a legend, at the very beginning of the series. 

And you tell me that in fact these guys are just there for show and actually want to be left alone in their corner of the world?  I'm disapointed.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Someone needs to remind me why anyone thought Robert would be a good king.
Most of those who tought he wouldn't be a good king were already dead or in exile.  The surviving ones didn't want a fight.

I haven't read the book and I already know that!  ha!  :P

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Siege on May 16, 2011, 06:41:38 PM
Then I would have to watch all the other crap they play.
I don't have too much time and I already have Netflix and Starz.
I suppose it will eventually be on Netflix, or available in a rental store.  Then your wife could rip the Blu-Ray rental discs, and you could copy it on your laptop when you get back home.

Slargos

Quote from: viper37 on May 17, 2011, 12:18:26 AM
Quote from: Siege on May 16, 2011, 06:41:38 PM
Then I would have to watch all the other crap they play.
I don't have too much time and I already have Netflix and Starz.
I suppose it will eventually be on Netflix, or available in a rental store.  Then your wife could rip the Blu-Ray rental discs, and you could copy it on your laptop when you get back home.

If.

If he gets back home.  :hmm:

Martinus

Quote from: Scipio on May 16, 2011, 06:39:26 PM
Quote from: Viking on May 16, 2011, 06:30:13 PM
Someone needs to remind me why anyone thought Robert would be a good king.  If he hadn't been crowned, none of this shit would have happened.  The fat man would never have written these turgid books, and I would not be forced to try to re-read this crap for the fourth time.  Maybe I will finally make it all the through Clash of Kings.  ALthough I rather doubt it.

Robert was the only person with a drop of Targaryen blood and a paper thin claim on the throne among the rebels. The Robert of 15 years ago was like the Renly of today only less ghey and more interested in the killing bit.
They should have killed all the Targaryens, and let the Lannisters rule.  Jesus.  Henry VII, where are you?

Err, they did let the Lannisters rule. They are just getting from de facto to de iure, when Ned intervenes.

Gups

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on May 16, 2011, 10:11:06 PM
[Yes, Robert planned on jousting in the tournament. 

It was deffo the melee

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Gups on May 17, 2011, 02:46:09 AM
Quote from: Benedict Arnold on May 16, 2011, 10:11:06 PM
[Yes, Robert planned on jousting in the tournament. 

It was deffo the melee
Ah, right.  Pardon, I more meant he planned on taking part.  Not sure why I said jousting.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Solmyr

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 16, 2011, 10:34:11 PM
Quote from: HVC on May 16, 2011, 09:08:56 PM
The suckling kid scene was disturbing. Surprised they let that one through.
They used a prosthesis.

The kid is never going to live it down with his pals.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Larch

Can anyone grab a screencap of the Small Council scene when Robert and Ned argue about Daenerys' assasination attempt in which the background is clearly visible? I had a huge :geek: hunch when watching the episode and would like to confirm it.  :P

Thanks in advance.  :)

Slargos

:lol:

"The background"  :lol:

Can you be more specific? There are plenty of angles there, you know.