News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Robert's not exactly a 'details' kind of guy.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Josquius

My dad has excellent gaydar apparently, as soon as Loras entered he said "That puff is gonna fight the big bloke?"

The lack of a melee was dissapointing. Was Robert ever going to joust in the books? I'm sure they've just moved him from the melee.
And in the book Cersei didn't lose Roberts kid right? I'm sure in the novels she's never been pregnant by him. Can't recall so well though.
The Eyrie was very dissapointing. Looks like they've changed it totally too, its not on top of a mountain, its some sort of weird...hollowed out honeycomby....infeasable in a 'how does that even stand up?' way, sort of thing.
I liked Robin. He couldn't act (he's a kid though, so meh) but he looked ill, had a wonky eye.
The Robert and Cersei scene was lame yes. My dad even started complaining there saying "Its a bit slow isn't it? Is there ever any big fights?"

I wonder what people will make of the others never being seen again...

Maybe.  He certainly would have been popular initially.
He's vain and weak.
All the king needs to do is sit on the throne and look pretty, let the council rule. A weak king is a good thing.
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

The hill tribe melee didn't count as a big fight?

She was pregnant but aborted it. I bet she poisoned it in the show (and has some regrets).
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Scipio

Someone needs to remind me why anyone thought Robert would be a good king.  If he hadn't been crowned, none of this shit would have happened.  The fat man would never have written these turgid books, and I would not be forced to try to re-read this crap for the fourth time.  Maybe I will finally make it all the through Clash of Kings.  ALthough I rather doubt it.

Edit: I meant A Storm of Swords.  I've made it through Clash of Kings.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Siege

Quote from: Martinus on May 16, 2011, 02:26:06 PM
Quote from: Berkut on May 16, 2011, 02:22:35 PM
I didn't even watch it. Three hour Survivor finale was on, and my wife absconded with the TV. :(

Also, you can watch it here:

http://iitv.info/gra-o-tron--game-of-thrones/s01e05-the-wolf-and-the-lion.html

Click "ogladaj odcinek".

Can you link me to the first episode?
I haven't seen any.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Viking

Quote from: Scipio on May 16, 2011, 06:24:32 PM
Someone needs to remind me why anyone thought Robert would be a good king.  If he hadn't been crowned, none of this shit would have happened.  The fat man would never have written these turgid books, and I would not be forced to try to re-read this crap for the fourth time.  Maybe I will finally make it all the through Clash of Kings.  ALthough I rather doubt it.

Robert was the only person with a drop of Targaryen blood and a paper thin claim on the throne among the rebels. The Robert of 15 years ago was like the Renly of today only less ghey and more interested in the killing bit.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Siege

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Scipio

Quote from: Viking on May 16, 2011, 06:30:13 PM
Quote from: Scipio on May 16, 2011, 06:24:32 PM

Robert was the only person with a drop of Targaryen blood and a paper thin claim on the throne among the rebels. The Robert of 15 years ago was like the Renly of today only less ghey and more interested in the killing bit.
They should have killed all the Targaryens, and let the Lannisters rule.  Jesus.  Henry VII, where are you?
-Jose Canseco

-Every cop, The Wire

-John Hurt

Siege

Quote from: Viking on May 16, 2011, 06:37:01 PM
Quote from: Siege on May 16, 2011, 06:35:33 PM
This is not HD.

Pay for HBO then.

Then I would have to watch all the other crap they play.
I don't have too much time and I already have Netflix and Starz.

Eddie Teach

People actually watched Southland?  :huh:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Scipio

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 16, 2011, 06:44:53 PM
People actually watched Southland?  :huh:
I liked it better the first time, when it was called Boomtown, and didn't suck donkey balls.
-Jose Canseco

-Every cop, The Wire

-John Hurt

Berkut

That was an excellent episode.

The conversation between Robert and Cersei was very well done.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

HVC

The suckling kid scene was disturbing. Surprised they let that one through.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Habbaku

Quote from: HVC on May 16, 2011, 09:08:56 PM
The suckling kid scene was disturbing. Surprised they let that one through.

It was awesome is what it was.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien