News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Berkut on May 16, 2011, 02:22:35 PM
I didn't even watch it. Three hour Survivor finale was on, and my wife absconded with the TV. :(

Marriage = FAIL. :(

Habbaku

I didn't even watch it. Three hour Survivor finale was on, and my wife absconded with the TV. :(

Torrentz.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Martinus

Btw, is Alfie Allen wearing a teeth prosthetic thingie or are his teeth just crooked because he is British?

Martinus

Also, you can watch it here:

http://iitv.info/gra-o-tron--game-of-thrones/s01e05-the-wolf-and-the-lion.html

Click "ogladaj odcinek".

Habbaku

Quote from: Martinus on May 16, 2011, 02:24:07 PM
Btw, while the episode progresses the Westeros social scene by introducing manscaping, it shows that "from behind" fucking is still in vogue

He was fucking a prostitute, though, and not his social equal.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Faeelin

Quote from: Valmy on May 16, 2011, 11:32:13 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 16, 2011, 11:17:30 AM
So now all of Renly's motivations for joining that faction are reduced to him being gay.

Um...Loras made pretty convincing arguements as to why he should be King and offered the support of the armies and financial support of Highgarden.  I think anybody would have found that tempting.

What's the argument? You're pretty?

Also, I thought Renly was a bit of a bad ass mofo in the books, who wanted the throne because he was vain and convinced he'd make a better king. Here?

Martinus

Quote from: Faeelin on May 16, 2011, 02:30:35 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 16, 2011, 11:32:13 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 16, 2011, 11:17:30 AM
So now all of Renly's motivations for joining that faction are reduced to him being gay.

Um...Loras made pretty convincing arguements as to why he should be King and offered the support of the armies and financial support of Highgarden.  I think anybody would have found that tempting.

Also, I thought Renly was a bit of a bad ass mofo in the books, who wanted the throne because he was vain and convinced he'd make a better king. Here?

The argument was that Renly is a good person, I thought. That was my impression of him from the books, to be honest - a vain, frivolous but ultimately a good guy. Probably better than Robert, way better than Joffrey. Is he better than Stannis? Debatable - but Stannis is a dour asshole.

Viking

Multiple characters respond that Renly would make a better king than Stannis (presumably Robert and Joffrey as well), including Ned and Littlefinger. Littlefinger tries to convince Ned to leave joffrey on the throne and then let a few years pass with Joffrey's minority to get rid of Stannis, then expose the incest and put Renly on the Throne.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Josquius

Yeah, that was the problem, Stannis was the legal king but rather rubbish, Renly would have been a pretty good king meanwhile.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Stannis is unpopular, Joffrey is a monster, and Tommen is a boy.  You are loved and have the political support of Highgarden.

Basically here is why you should be King and here is the means.  Any man with any ambition, especially one eager to prove himself as Renly would find that hard to pass up.

Wait Renly was a badass mofo in the books?

1. He gets described as copper, pretty to look at but without substance.

2. He gets described as a mediocre tournament knight who usually loses but does so in style in his fancy green armor.

3. He gets described as trying to be an imitation of his brother...he even looks like a younger version of Robert.

4. He wastes precious time having parties and tournaments once he is crowned when a swift march up the Rose Road would have resulted in his probable victory.

That does not sound much like a badass mofo.  His most distinctive qualities are charm, vanity, and ambition.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on May 16, 2011, 02:36:13 PM
Yeah, that was the problem, Stannis was the legal king but rather rubbish, Renly would have been a pretty good king meanwhile.

Maybe.  He certainly would have been popular initially.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on May 16, 2011, 02:40:33 PM
Was Renly a black Muslim by any chance?

He was gay. That's a point-by-point equivalent (sorry, I still think of people as if they were GURPS characters  :blush: ).

Maximus

Renly came off as a whiny emo teen. "omg my brother, like, so doesn't get me"

Loras was appropriately unlikable, Varys superb, Lysa over-the-top, the Eyrie disappointing.

The scene with Robert and Cersei was lame, I thought. They never seemed like the type who would sit and talk about feelings.

All in all not my favourite episode.

viper37

So, Robert has zero kids with the Queen, but he has like a dozen with other women.  Does he even fuck his wife from time to time?  Ain't he surprise his supposed kid doesn't look like him at all, having inherited 100% of her mother's trait?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Berkut

I don't think he pays that much attention to his kids - any of them.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned