And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: The Larch on May 11, 2011, 06:07:57 AM
Quote from: Martinus on May 11, 2011, 06:02:13 AM
Next episode is Wolf and Lion (or some such) and not Golden Crown.  :)

Yup, and it's going to be where the Ned-Jaime confrontation is going to happen, if the previews are faithful. We were talking about the cliffhanger for the sixth episode, that is considered to be so intense as to want to make people sign up for that HBO thingie where you'd be able to watch the seventh episode right afterwards.  ;)
Oh I see. Maybe it will be: gay sex? :P

My personal guess though: Ned's execution.

Habbaku

Quote from: The Larch on May 11, 2011, 03:55:10 AM
The episode is called "A Golden Crown", so my bet would be Viserys getting whacked.

That's not exactly a cliffhanger.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Martinus on May 11, 2011, 09:44:50 AM
Quote from: The Larch on May 11, 2011, 06:07:57 AM
Quote from: Martinus on May 11, 2011, 06:02:13 AM
Next episode is Wolf and Lion (or some such) and not Golden Crown.  :)

Yup, and it's going to be where the Ned-Jaime confrontation is going to happen, if the previews are faithful. We were talking about the cliffhanger for the sixth episode, that is considered to be so intense as to want to make people sign up for that HBO thingie where you'd be able to watch the seventh episode right afterwards.  ;)
Oh I see. Maybe it will be: gay sex? :P

My personal guess though: Ned's execution.

Titles

5      The Wolf and the Lion"    
6    "A Golden Crown"
7    "You Win or You Die"        
8    "The Pointy End"    
9    "Baelor"        
10    "Fire and Blood"

So Drogo dies in 10, Ned in 9, 8 Araya Escapes, 7 Robert dies, 6 Viserys dies, Ned and Jamie Fight.

Robert's probably wounded at the end of 6.

Spoilerish synapsis for 8-10
http://www.spoilertv.com/2011/05/true-blood-and-game-of-thrones-june.html
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Viking

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 10, 2011, 10:12:25 PM
I thought Melisandre was supposed to be hott?

I can't help think that this might be related to listening to an audiobook, but I see her with the body and dress sense of Elvira, the face and hair (but browner) of a 40is Angelica Houston and the voice of a heavy smoker.

I suppose she might be hott, but chicks that talk religion deflate my cock.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Josquius

QuoteSo Drogo dies in 10, Ned in 9, 8 Araya Escapes, 7 Robert dies, 6 Viserys dies, Ned and Jamie Fight.
Lame having Ned die so late, won't give us much of the war starting up.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tyr on May 11, 2011, 01:31:38 PM
QuoteSo Drogo dies in 10, Ned in 9, 8 Araya Escapes, 7 Robert dies, 6 Viserys dies, Ned and Jamie Fight.

Does the war happen in book 1?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 11, 2011, 01:41:47 PM

I'm sure there's some bits  of it, the deal with the Freys, the battle in the forest where Jamie gets caught, king of the north, etc...
██████
██████
██████

Habbaku

That's what the second season is for...
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Slargos on May 11, 2011, 12:18:04 AM
You're getting very boorish lately. I expect you have a better explanation, then?

To suggest that an entire complex social system can be reduced to a simple mechanism for exploitation by a ruling class is the very definition of a crude Marxist analysis. Your are correct that I could have put it more politely. 

As to the second question, I think we would have to define the parameters of the feudal system that is being addressed.  The one that appears in the Martin novels is too poorly specified to really discuss.  AFAIK there are some suggestions concerning how it works -- landed property seems to be main source of wealth for the "lords" other than Lannisters and their mines and a few others that collect tolls and customs; there are feudal rights (eg hunting); and the land appears to be tilled by a mix of free peasants and yeomanry.  But the details are missing - the precise nature of noble status - what it denotes and how one acheives it is unclear, as is the precise nature of peasant tenure and their frequencies.  It does appear there is considerable opportunity for both upward and downward mobility.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Josquius

Quote from: Habbaku on May 11, 2011, 01:57:53 PM

They're not going to cover the whole of GoT?
hmm....makes sense....
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Viking on May 11, 2011, 01:29:08 PM

I suppose she might be hott, but chicks that talk religion deflate my cock.
But in this world there are definitely supernatural forces at work, she might be on to something.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on May 11, 2011, 01:45:56 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 11, 2011, 01:41:47 PM

I'm sure there's some bits  of it, the deal with the Freys, the battle in the forest where Jamie gets caught, king of the north, etc...
That synapsis I linked makes it look we'll see that battle in episode 9.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Habbaku

Quote from: Tyr on May 11, 2011, 07:06:42 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on May 11, 2011, 01:57:53 PM

They're not going to cover the whole of GoT?
hmm....makes sense....

:huh:  Okay, at this point I have no idea what you're asking.  They are covering the entirety of GoT (the first novel in the Song of Ice and Fire series).  The entire series is not being stuffed into 10 episodes.  There wasn't an incredibly large amount of the war (in fact, just a series of early skirmishes and one important battle) in the first book, all of which can easily be covered in the last 3 episodes of the season.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

Slargos

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 11, 2011, 06:27:55 PM
Quote from: Slargos on May 11, 2011, 12:18:04 AM
You're getting very boorish lately. I expect you have a better explanation, then?

To suggest that an entire complex social system can be reduced to a simple mechanism for exploitation by a ruling class is the very definition of a crude Marxist analysis. Your are correct that I could have put it more politely. 

Perhaps it IS crude. Does that make it incorrect?

What value does a code of social conduct have other than as a tool to safeguard existing social hierarchies in a manner that keeps bloodshed on an acceptable and predictable level?