News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 10, 2011, 10:12:25 PM
I thought Melisandre was supposed to be hott?
True, but she was the most bizarre female character I could think of off the top of my head.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: Habbaku on May 10, 2011, 09:53:12 PM
:hmm:  Trying to recall what the cliffhanger could be.  The result of Ned's scrap with Jaime, perhaps?

Perhaps with you thinking Ned has been killed?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Habbaku

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 10, 2011, 10:21:17 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 10, 2011, 10:12:25 PM
I thought Melisandre was supposed to be hott?
True, but she was the most bizarre female character I could think of off the top of my head.

Bizarre in actions and characterization, maybe, but not appearance.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Slargos

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 10, 2011, 03:59:41 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 10, 2011, 05:40:38 AM
Both of you make very good points, but I am a bit surprised at Slargos analysis, a bit too modern for him.  :P

Modern in the sense of an early 20th century crude Marxist-materialistic analysis, yes.

I am rubber, you are glue.

Or at least you would be if there was any justice to the world.

You're getting very boorish lately. I expect you have a better explanation, then?

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Slargos

The White Walkers are Scots, aren't they?

Dooooooorn Rocco!

Those poor sheepshaggers can't catch a break.

Martinus

So, next week, we are going to see TEH GHEY, right? :P

Habbaku

You'll see one of the gays, yes.

It's a shame we have to wait so long to see either of them come to harm, but I suppose it's worth the wait.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Martinus

We have already seen one of the gays. I just mean we get told for the first time he is gay.

The Larch

Quote from: Habbaku on May 10, 2011, 09:53:12 PM
:hmm:  Trying to recall what the cliffhanger could be.  The result of Ned's scrap with Jaime, perhaps?

The episode is called "A Golden Crown", so my bet would be Viserys getting whacked.

This is the synopsis:

QuoteViserys demands that Drogo pay him his debts. Ned is left ruling the kingdom while Robert goes to hunt.

Either that or Robert getting gored during the hunt. Or both things.

Solmyr

Quote from: Tyr on May 10, 2011, 02:58:19 PM
Quote from: Solmyr on May 10, 2011, 11:04:36 AM
Quote from: Tyr on May 10, 2011, 07:43:50 AM
Not so sure about marrying a girl he loves, rather the slag he pops his cherry with and feels so guilty about it he marries her anyway.

And IIRC there are indications that he was set up for it by Tywin.

Like what?
I totally missed that. Seemed to just be bad luck to me that he got injured and things went rather Back to the Future...only they actually did do it...and it wasn't his mother.

IIRC in the fourth book it's revealed that her mother was negotiating with Tywin and was giving her potions against pregnancy. So it's possible that Tywin had some hand in arranging for Robb to meet Jeyne.

Not to mention that House Westerling is sworn to the Lannisters.

The Larch

Quote from: Solmyr on May 11, 2011, 04:49:59 AM
Quote from: Tyr on May 10, 2011, 02:58:19 PM
Quote from: Solmyr on May 10, 2011, 11:04:36 AM
Quote from: Tyr on May 10, 2011, 07:43:50 AM
Not so sure about marrying a girl he loves, rather the slag he pops his cherry with and feels so guilty about it he marries her anyway.

And IIRC there are indications that he was set up for it by Tywin.

Like what?
I totally missed that. Seemed to just be bad luck to me that he got injured and things went rather Back to the Future...only they actually did do it...and it wasn't his mother.

IIRC in the fourth book it's revealed that her mother was negotiating with Tywin and was giving her potions against pregnancy. So it's possible that Tywin had some hand in arranging for Robb to meet Jeyne.

Not to mention that House Westerling is sworn to the Lannisters.

And was afterwards rewarded for their services to the Lannister cause.

Martinus

Next episode is Wolf and Lion (or some such) and not Golden Crown.  :)

The Larch

Quote from: Martinus on May 11, 2011, 06:02:13 AM
Next episode is Wolf and Lion (or some such) and not Golden Crown.  :)

Yup, and it's going to be where the Ned-Jaime confrontation is going to happen, if the previews are faithful. We were talking about the cliffhanger for the sixth episode, that is considered to be so intense as to want to make people sign up for that HBO thingie where you'd be able to watch the seventh episode right afterwards.  ;)